Sponsored

Possible Accessory Costs - How much will my R1T really be?

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
Hi Everyone,

Was just configuring a 4 Door Bronco and Ford added every possible accessory to the configurator. I was able to configure with various racks for bikes and kayaks, rails, RT Tent, hitch, different tops, ect. ect. I ended up at checkout around 60K from 41.5K on the Outer Banks model.

I know the cars aren't comparable, I just really like the Bronco as a backup if I end of canceling my R1T which I really don't want to do. But I wondering how much the extras might run. A full set of cross bars, the RT Tent, bike or kayak racks, does the bed need a liner. We know the cover is included and the kitchen costs 5K...but what else might they add on that will be must adds to the order and how much can we expect to spend besides the $75K (minus the color uncharges)?

I'm not installing a wall charger in my home, I might just go charge at the local super market as I shop when I'm low. But we don't know the cost of this either unless we go 3rd party on this and all of the other things mentioned.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Hi Everyone,

Was just configuring a 4 Door Bronco and Ford added every possible accessory to the configurator. I was able to configure with various racks for bikes and kayaks, rails, RT Tent, hitch, different tops, ect. ect. I ended up at checkout around 60K from 41.5K on the Outer Banks model.

I know the cars aren't comparable, I just really like the Bronco as a backup if I end of canceling my R1T which I really don't want to do. But I wondering how much the extras might run. A full set of cross bars, the RT Tent, bike or kayak racks, does the bed need a liner. We know the cover is included and the kitchen costs 5K...but what else might they add on that will be must adds to the order and how much can we expect to spend besides the $75K (minus the color uncharges)?

I'm not installing a wall charger in my home, I might just go charge at the local super market as I shop when I'm low. But we don't know the cost of this either unless we go 3rd party on this and all of the other things mentioned.
The charger will be a good gauge of cost. tesla has one with similar specs that they sell for $500, if the one for Rivian is not a comparable price I think it will be a miss for them. Of course that is just the charger cost, there is still associated cost to have it installed.

The installation of a L2 charger may allow for a 30% federal tax credit as well, is worth looking into.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
There are plenty of good aftermarket chargers, so I'm not as concerned about the Rivian EVSE cost.

The crossbars are the "defining" accessory for which I anxiously await pricing information.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Not installing an EVSE at home makes owning an EV more expensive (almost always) and certainly inconvenient.
The local supermarket EVSE will likely add about 15-20 for every hour you are plugged in. If you drive an average of 1000 miles a month, that's 50+ hours a month in the grocery store. Part of the beauty of an EV is being able to charge while you sleep (and many utilities offer cheaper rates in the wee hours as well).

As to accessories, all (or almost all) will be available from 3rd parties - and likely for less money. As one example, Rivian has shown a Tepui tent. If having the Rivian brand on your accessories is important, you will almost certainly pay extra for them. I haven't looked but suspect that a little shopping could save you a bunch on the Bronco accessories as well (kayak racks, etc).

OP
OP
njcoach24

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
Not installing an EVSE at home makes owning an EV more expensive (almost always) and certainly inconvenient.
The local supermarket EVSE will likely add about 15-20 for every hour you are plugged in. If you drive an average of 1000 miles a month, that's 50+ hours a month in the grocery store. Part of the beauty of an EV is being able to charge while you sleep (and many utilities offer cheaper rates in the wee hours as well).

As to accessories, all (or almost all) will be available from 3rd parties - and likely for less money. As one example, Rivian has shown a Tepui tent. If having the Rivian brand on your accessories is important, you will almost certainly pay extra for them. I haven't looked but suspect that a little shopping could save you a bunch on the Bronco accessories as well (kayak racks, etc).
Thanks for this info. What would you say is the buy & install cost of EVSE? I did look up the Bronco tent on REI and it was roughly the same price but obviously there are tons of others to choose from. And if we are using the camp kitchen as an example, the rest of the other accessories may be $$$$. And I really want the crossbars.

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Thanks for this info. What would you say is the buy & install cost of EVSE? I did look up the Bronco tent on REI and it was roughly the same price but obviously there are tons of others to choose from. And if we are using the camp kitchen as an example, the rest of the other accessories may be $$$$. And I really want the crossbars.
NJCoach24, Keep in mind that the 16 mile/ hour peak charger that uses a typical NEMA 14/50 (electric dryer or range) receptacle is included "free" and will be enough for a lot of owners. I will be getting the cross bars too and am mentally preparing to pay somewhere between an arm & leg up to first born for them. If Rivian prices them to high 3rd party will be quick to move in and provide you with a more palatable option to separate you from your hard earned money. Tires will likely be your biggest after sale expense as R1's are heavy and all that instant torque and HP will eat tires for breakfast.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Buy cost is as little as $200, but the install cost is all over the board as it depends greatly on your situation. If you are in an older house that needs an upgraded panel or meter, the cost goes way up. If you have an unused 240V outlet in you garage, the cost is negligible.
I've installed 2 EVSEs in my garage. The first cost ~$160 and $110 of that was for the permit (I'm comfortable doing electrical work and my jurisdiction permits the homeowner to do it).
The second cost me essentially nothing. I got a Chargepoint Flex for $699 and materials were another $30 or so. My local utility gave me a $500 rebate, and I got 30% of the total cost back as Federal Tax Credit (now extended thru 2021). The utility also pays me $50/yr to be able to delay or slow my charging during "peak events".

The Rivian will come with a charge cable that can be used on a standard 120V outlet (NEMA 5-15) or on a 240V outlet (almost certainly a 14-50). Some people will be able to get by with using a 120V outlet, but you'll get only a couple of miles per hour of charging. If you don't have an existing 240V outlet near where you will be parking, the cheapest route would likely be to install a 40A 240V circuit with a 14-50 and use the included charge cable. Rivian is stating 16 mi/hr in this scenario.

The Rivian will utilize up to 48A when charging, and an EVSE that can do this must be hardwired (the Chargepoint Flex I installed can do this). Some EVSEs also add additional features like usage/cost tracking.

At a minimum, I would recommend having a 240V outlet of some type to charge at home.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
EVSE's cost between $400-800 to purchase the equipment.

Installation costs vary based on whether you already have a suitable outlet or one needs to be installed. If a new outlet is necessary, cost will depend on your load center capacity, and proximity.

A simple installation of a new outlet may be a few hundred dollars. Upgrading the load center (if necessary) could cost thousands of dollars.

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

With the cost of the camp kitchen being so high I too have concerns on how expensive their additional accessories may be. Hopefully they will be reasonably priced. My best guess is as follows:
Crossbars - $200 per set
Spare Tire - $500
Tent - $2000
LE T-shirt - Free at delivery ?

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

With the cost of the camp kitchen being so high I too have concerns on how expensive their additional accessories may be. Hopefully they will be reasonably priced. My best guess is as follows:
Crossbars - $200 per set
Spare Tire - $500
Tent - $2000
I'm hoping for the free LE T-shirt to coincide with a factory tour and vehicle pickup in Normal, this June. ?

Of all the "options", knowing what the needed spare will cost us would be nice to know.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Crossbars - $200 per set
Spare Tire - $500
Tent - $2000
  • Crossbars will likely be at least $300/set of 2 (more for the cab height ones for the R1T bed if they offer them). Toyota gets $315 on the RAV4 set. Audi gets $500. Land Rover gets $576 (+$1,400 for the rails to attach them to).
  • The OEM tire tire alone will be be $400-$500, a spare with the wheel likely $750+ (more for the black wheels)
  • Could be in the ballpark on the tent

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Crossbars - $200 per set
Spare Tire - $500
Tent - $2000
If the crossbars are only $200 then that's an amazing price, imo. I'd buy two sets at that price.

I was hoping for $300-400 and wouldn't be surprised if they're $500-900.
Sponsored