Sponsored

I miss having a full size truck

md11phlyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T White/Quad/Adv 22s, Cessna 310Q
I don't mean to sound like a spoiled brat but this baby sized R1T is making me miss my '14 F-150 and it's archaic yet totally functional features and size. Anybody else having a hard time getting over their full size truck?

The 4.5 foot bed was killing me the other day moving things from garage to garage. I ended up bungying my pressure washer in the back seat. :CWL: Tried to load a SUP on the crossbars over the bed, not going to happen without the majority of it hanging precariously past the bed. Raining out and need to move stuff in the bed with the tonneu closed. Boxes too tall gotta put them in the back seat. Working at night and need a good bed light? Those lights on the rear of the cab are just brake lights, your only option is the mood lighting in the actual bed. Wanna throw a weedeater back there diagonal? Nope.

The inside is killin' me too Smalls. Can't load up the family and the dog unless the dog's head is resting on the center armrest. With a kid in a rear facing car seat behind me I can't put my seat where I want it (I'm only 5' 10"). My daughter on the other side is 4 and the passenger seat back is basically a perfect foot rest for her grimy little feet. The bright side is it's not a long reach if I want to hand her a snack, hell she's like RIGHT THERE! :CWL:

Don't get me wrong, the drive, fit and finish and performance are all top notch. Half of me loves it and half of me just wants a real truck again. I'm seriously considering a trade or cashing out to get a Lightning just due to the size. Apologies for the bitch fest but I had nowhere else to turn. :facepalm:
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

No midsize truck can fit two kids and a dog in the back seat.

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
Couldnt agree more. After driving the Lightning, just so much more room in the interior especially with car seats. And my Lightning was delivered on Tuesday with a week to decide. It's a difficult position for someone that is terrible at making decisions to be in.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
OP, do you have any pics of your backseat with the kiddos car seats in them? I have a 2.5 year old daughter and 2 dogs (9 year old sheltie and 14 year old Golden Retriever). Just trying to estimate the available size for my dogs in the back seat. Right now they right in the back of my 4Runner.

Last edited:

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
OP, do you have any pics of your backseat with the kiddos car seats in them? I have a 2.5 year old daughter and 2 dogs (9 year old sheltie and 14 year old Golden Retriever). Just trying to estimate the available size for my dogs in the back seat. Right know they right in the back of my 4Runner.
Rivian R1T R1S I miss having a full size truck Screenshot_20220522-140327_Gallery

Rivian R1T R1S I miss having a full size truck Screenshot_20220522-140302_Gallery

Sponsored

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Hmmm. That looks about like my wife's CX-5 when we had my daughter rear facing, she's front facing now. Since the Rivian is actually longer than most midsize trucks I thought it would have more space in the back.

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
Hmmm. That looks about like my wife's CX-5 when we had my daughter rear facing, she's front facing now. Since the Rivian is actually longer than most midsize trucks I thought it would have more space in the back.
Coming from my MachE...there was more legroom in the MachE but the rivian backseat is wider. That picture is old and both of mine are forward facing now. Here is both. My 4 .5 yr old gets pretty tight with room with me driving at 6'3.

Rivian R1T R1S I miss having a full size truck Screenshot_20221208_091519_Gallery

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I'm personally past the car seat age and most of the time I'm driving by myself. The Rivian is the perfect size for my use case personally. Every time I look at all those car seats I'm grateful I'm past all that bullshit.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I don't mean to sound like a spoiled brat but this baby sized R1T is making me miss my '14 F-150 and it's archaic yet totally functional features and size. Anybody else having a hard time getting over their full size truck?

The 4.5 foot bed was killing me the other day moving things from garage to garage. I ended up bungying my pressure washer in the back seat. :CWL: Tried to load a SUP on the crossbars over the bed, not going to happen without the majority of it hanging precariously past the bed. Raining out and need to move stuff in the bed with the tonneu closed. Boxes too tall gotta put them in the back seat. Working at night and need a good bed light? Those lights on the rear of the cab are just brake lights, your only option is the mood lighting in the actual bed. Wanna throw a weedeater back there diagonal? Nope.

The inside is killin' me too Smalls. Can't load up the family and the dog unless the dog's head is resting on the center armrest. With a kid in a rear facing car seat behind me I can't put my seat where I want it (I'm only 5' 10"). My daughter on the other side is 4 and the passenger seat back is basically a perfect foot rest for her grimy little feet. The bright side is it's not a long reach if I want to hand her a snack, hell she's like RIGHT THERE! :CWL:

Don't get me wrong, the drive, fit and finish and performance are all top notch. Half of me loves it and half of me just wants a real truck again. I'm seriously considering a trade or cashing out to get a Lightning just due to the size. Apologies for the bitch fest but I had nowhere else to turn. :facepalm:
I only had a full sized truck for one month prior to getting the R1T, but that’s enough to make me miss the size.

I went through the rain situation a couple days ago. It was a medium sized/light box. Too tall to fit in the frunk, too tall to fit under the cover. Normally I’d throw the seats up and throw them in the back, but nope. Can’t do that in the R1T because there wasn’t enough room. So tarp and strap it was, which felt silly for such a small item, especially since the person I bought it from pulled it out of the hatch of their Honda HRV…

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Coming from my MachE...there was more legroom in the MachE but the rivian backseat is wider. That picture is old and both of mine are forward facing now. Here is both. My 4 .5 yr old gets pretty tight with room with me driving at 6'3.
Damn that looks tight back there for kids that age! Luckily my daughter sits behind my wife who is 5'4" (I'm 6'4"), but she's in the 100 percentile for height. Def something to consider and might push me to getting a Tundra TRD-Pro.

Sponsored

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
Damn that looks tight back there for kids that age! Luckily my daughter sits behind my wife who is 5'4" (I'm 6'4"), but she's in the 100 percentile for height. Def something to consider and might push me to getting a Tundra TRD-Pro.
I recommend definitely trying out the rear seat size before it's your time to start your 8 steps. Part of me wishes I waited to get my lighnting order this week because there is alot more room for passengers. Now, I am probably stuck with my rivian for a few years. The rivian is not bad, it's just tight for my family of 4.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Problem solved.
Rivian R1T R1S I miss having a full size truck baby-safety-seat-1-1-640x381

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Fully understand since the R1T is roughly the size of a Honda Ridgeline. It’s not a full sized 1/2 ton pickup.
Sponsored