First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
Yes and no. Some states, like WA, doesn’t even allow car manufacturers, like Rivian, to deliver at home. In my case, I would have to go to Oregon or Idaho to pick it up at a designated location. The problem though is that if that ended up being the case, that means there is no representation at my state, or service center, therefore is kinda risky for Rivian to deliver. In other words, if WA takes time to pass the bill I will have to wait.
I live in Washington as well. Hoping there is a 3rd party solution for service... Don't really care where I have to go to pick it up.
Sponsored

aardvarkricky

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4
Yes and no. Some states, like WA, doesn’t even allow car manufacturers, like Rivian, to deliver at home. In my case, I would have to go to Oregon or Idaho to pick it up at a designated location. The problem though is that if that ended up being the case, that means there is no representation at my state, or service center, therefore is kinda risky for Rivian to deliver. In other words, if WA takes time to pass the bill I will have to wait.
From a different thread, it looks like Rivian will be opening a customer experience store in Seattle (Belltown). The bill that would allow direct sales, HB 1388, did not get out of committee so is unlikely to be passed this year. I wrote to my state representative and got this:

Ricky-

Thank you for your email expressing your support for HB 1388, concerning motor vehicle sales

Unfortunately, HB 1388 did not come up for a vote in committee in time before the required deadline and is therefore unlikely to pass this year. This bill was referred to the Consumer Protection & Business Committee which I am not a member of, so I did not get chance to weigh in on the bill.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. I value the input I receive and hope you will continue to share your views with me.

Sincerely,
Representative Debra Entenman

I also did contact Rivian customer support asking how would they handle preorders in WA and got back the usual "we'll have more details as we get closer to launch" response.

AleCS

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Audi SQ5
Occupation
Business Owner
From a different thread, it looks like Rivian will be opening a customer experience store in Seattle (Belltown). The bill that would allow direct sales, HB 1388, did not get out of committee so is unlikely to be passed this year. I wrote to my state representative and got this:

Ricky-

Thank you for your email expressing your support for HB 1388, concerning motor vehicle sales

Unfortunately, HB 1388 did not come up for a vote in committee in time before the required deadline and is therefore unlikely to pass this year. This bill was referred to the Consumer Protection & Business Committee which I am not a member of, so I did not get chance to weigh in on the bill.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. I value the input I receive and hope you will continue to share your views with me.

Sincerely,
Representative Debra Entenman

I also did contact Rivian customer support asking how would they handle preorders in WA and got back the usual "we'll have more details as we get closer to launch" response.
That is unfortunate. So now that the bill won’t be live this year, I wonder if the Belltown center can actually open.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
That is unfortunate. So now that the bill won’t be live this year, I wonder if the Belltown center can actually open.
Why wouldn't the experience center move forward? They can still display vehicles, answer questions and conduct test drives... they just can't conduct sales.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Why wouldn't the experience center move forward? They can still display vehicles, answer questions and conduct test drives... they just can't conduct sales.
Doubtful Rivian will conduct sales at any experience center, anyway.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Doubtful Rivian will conduct sales at any experience center, anyway.
The purchase will most certainly be initiated online but there may still be documents to be signed as well as vehicle delivery. While the experience center could prove a convenient location for some customers to handle these activities if they were allowed by law, my point was that there are plenty of other activities that are not restricted by law that would still justify Rivian opening the experience center. Planning for and opening of the experience center would never have been contingent on the ability to conduct sales at the facility.
Sponsored