Sponsored

Speaking Efficiency - How we perceive efficiency in EVs?

First Name
Kia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Occupation
Student
Hi there Rivian Forums Community,

I’m kindly asking for your voice! I’m currently conducting graduate research on the expression of efficiency metrics in electric vehicles. As part of my research, I’m hoping to learn from drivers’ experiences and use my research to amplify drivers’ needs. I noticed how actively engaged this community is and I would absolutely love to hear from all of you. Below is a survey to learn more about your perception.

https://uwmadison.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6le0oyYsSAdv1BQ

Also, I am looking for interview subjects so if you’d like to speak about your EV experience, I’d love to learn!
Thank you for taking the time to read this message and I hope you enjoy the survey!

Best,
Kia Pourmodheji
Sponsored

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
Hi there Rivian Forums Community,

I’m kindly asking for your voice! I’m currently conducting graduate research on the expression of efficiency metrics in electric vehicles. As part of my research, I’m hoping to learn from drivers’ experiences and use my research to amplify drivers’ needs. I noticed how actively engaged this community is and I would absolutely love to hear from all of you. Below is a survey to learn more about your perception.

https://uwmadison.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6le0oyYsSAdv1BQ

Also, I am looking for interview subjects so if you’d like to speak about your EV experience, I’d love to learn!
Thank you for taking the time to read this message and I hope you enjoy the survey!

Best,
Kia Pourmodheji
Here is how I view efficiency on four of my Teslas:
X P100DL
Rivian R1T R1S Speaking Efficiency - How we perceive efficiency in EVs? 2016 X P100DL Blue Streak Efficiency

X 100D
Rivian R1T R1S Speaking Efficiency - How we perceive efficiency in EVs? 2018 X 100D Noel Efficiency

X P90DL
Rivian R1T R1S Speaking Efficiency - How we perceive efficiency in EVs? Red Lighti

Y LR
Rivian R1T R1S Speaking Efficiency - How we perceive efficiency in EVs? Y Not

OP
OP
First Name
Kia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Occupation
Student
X P100DL
2016 X P100DL Blue Streak Efficiency.png

X 100D
2018 X 100D Noel Efficiency.png

X P90DL
Red Lighting.png

Y LR
Y Not.png
Love this! I find it really interesting that you communicated energy consumption by breaking it down to the cost per mile. I interviewed an energy efficiency professor who focused his career on optimizing industrial building energy use. He communicated energy to clients based on price similar to your comment. I'd be interested to know if EV infotainment designers have ever considered communicating energy through cost? I also wonder if drivers would change their driving behavior if cost was visualized on their infotainment display?

Anyway, thank you so much for sharing this!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I also wonder if drivers would change their driving behavior if cost was visualized on their infotainment display?
Absolutely. It takes efficiency numbers that many people might not understand & makes it tangible for them.

Of course, this would require people to input their energy cost per kWh. Or you could at least use a local, regional, or national cost average.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
X P100DL
2016 X P100DL Blue Streak Efficiency.png

X 100D
2018 X 100D Noel Efficiency.png

X P90DL
Red Lighting.png

Y LR
Y Not.png
Thanks for sharing this graphics.

I have to say... I was expecting more efficiency when comparing to standard mpg. In the red, it looks like only 1/4 of the Tesla's was able to exceed the low 40s when comparing cost. I expected the cost for electricity vs gas to be skewed more in favor of electricity.

Heck... There are many newer ice vehicles that can consume less money per mile than the first Tesla. The 2nd and 3rd are on our with the newer most efficient ICE cars.

Am I interpreting those numbers wrong?

Sponsored

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
Thanks for sharing this graphics.

I have to say... I was expecting more efficiency when comparing to standard mpg. In the red, it looks like only 1/4 of the Tesla's was able to exceed the low 40s when comparing cost. I expected the cost for electricity vs gas to be skewed more in favor of electricity.

Heck... There are many newer ice vehicles that can consume less money per mile than the first Tesla. The 2nd and 3rd are on our with the newer most efficient ICE cars.

Am I interpreting those numbers wrong?
You are not interpreting them incorrectly. I was shocked when I first saw them.

If you were to use the rated energy consumption of the first car, the cost based MPG calculation goes from 35 to 67. It is the energy lost in charging and used while not driving that brings the EV cost up/MPG down. Those plus my driving style. I tow a boat and trailer some of the time and bought Ludicrous mode to use it. Over the life of that car, I have spent more on tires than on electricity.

Even at 35 MPG, I don't believe there are any 3 row vehicles that can tow a 5,000lb boat and accelerate quickly that any where approach 35 MPG with an equivalent driving style.

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
Love this! I find it really interesting that you communicated energy consumption by breaking it down to the cost per mile. I interviewed an energy efficiency professor who focused his career on optimizing industrial building energy use. He communicated energy to clients based on price similar to your comment. I'd be interested to know if EV infotainment designers have ever considered communicating energy through cost? I also wonder if drivers would change their driving behavior if cost was visualized on their infotainment display?

Anyway, thank you so much for sharing this!
In a sense they have. I receive an e-mail every time one of my Tesla's is put into park that provides details on the drive including the cost in $.
Rivian R1T R1S Speaking Efficiency - How we perceive efficiency in EVs? 2021-02-17 20.06.05

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Even at 35 MPG, I don't believe there are any 3 row vehicles that can tow a 5,000lb boat and accelerate quickly that any where approach 35 MPG with an equivalent driving style.
True. I agree 35 mpg while towing or while accelerating aggressively is not obtainable in any other vehicle of that size. Those stats are typically only obtained in smaller vehicles or vehicles not capable of real towing.

OP
OP
First Name
Kia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Occupation
Student
Absolutely. It takes efficiency numbers that many people might not understand & makes it tangible for them.

Of course, this would require people to input their energy cost per kWh. Or you could at least use a local, regional, or national cost average.
That's such an important point! I found that a lot of my interviewees didn't understand the metrics in their EVs and how power was being consumed. Further, I think there' is a correlation between an individuals' understanding of energy metrics and range anxiety. I really want to dig further into this topic as well!

Back to your point about adding a monetary value to energy consumption in a vehicle. I feel that this could be a data collaboration opportunity for automotive and charging station manufacturers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Kia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Occupation
Student
You are not interpreting them incorrectly. I was shocked when I first saw them.

If you were to use the rated energy consumption of the first car, the cost based MPG calculation goes from 35 to 67. It is the energy lost in charging and used while not driving that brings the EV cost up/MPG down. Those plus my driving style. I tow a boat and trailer some of the time and bought Ludicrous mode to use it. Over the life of that car, I have spent more on tires than on electricity.

I'm going to have to look more into this application. I've heard a bunch of Tesla drivers are using it and some of my interviewees mentioned this tool. How did you hear about it?

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Kia, I applaud your research topic. It's clear to me that their is a huge disparity between general publics understanding of ICE and BEV particularly regarding range, charging and efficiency. The lack of understanding undermines BEV adoption. My opinion is clear relatable info on BEV can only help to increase BEV adoption.
Sponsored