Sponsored

UPDATED - New Custom Wheels / Tires 20x9, 18mm offset, with 275/60/20 Pirelli's (33") - NO RUBBING

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Has taken a LONG, LONG time, but Rivian called today and said they are finally coming tomorrow to upload the program to my truck that tells it has 21 inch wheels, in hopes of finally getting the speedometer to read closer to accurate. With the recent update that corrected it by 1-2 miles per hour already, hopefully with the update, I'll finally be back to within 1 MPH of the correct speed. Fingers cross that it works this time. Will update tomorrow.
Sponsored

derichio02

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla Model S
OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

@kizamybute' Thanks for going thru all of this! I just picked up my truck on Friday and Im already looking at wheel options. Did you ever get the TPMS sorted out?

Also Im looking at these Method wheels which come up on Methods site for the R1T. I have used method wheels over the years and they are awesome. The link below is to a set of 20x9 +18

https://www.methodracewheels.com/products/315-machined?variant=40186262782013
The first set of TPMS didn't work. The truck read something, but wasn't getting the right info and came up with an error message. They JUST sent me a new set to try which I hope to get installed on the new wheels this week. Fingers crossed that this set works.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Edited the original post as well.....
EDIT: 09/23/2022 - VERY HAPPY TO REPORT, WE FINALLY GOT THE TIRE PRESSURE SENSORS FIGURED OUT AND WORKING. Thanks to Jon at https://tpms247.com/ for getting it done.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

@kizamybute' Thanks for going thru all of this! I just picked up my truck on Friday and Im already looking at wheel options. Did you ever get the TPMS sorted out?

Also Im looking at these Method wheels which come up on Methods site for the R1T. I have used method wheels over the years and they are awesome. The link below is to a set of 20x9 +18

https://www.methodracewheels.com/products/315-machined?variant=40186262782013
VERY HAPPY TO REPORT, WE FINALLY GOT THE TIRE PRESSURE SENSORS FIGURED OUT AND WORKING. Thanks to Jon at https://tpms247.com/ for getting it done.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Did you get the TPMS sorted? My tire guy said that he thinks Rivian uses HUF sensors.
VERY HAPPY TO REPORT, WE FINALLY GOT THE TIRE PRESSURE SENSORS FIGURED OUT AND WORKING. Thanks to Jon at https://tpms247.com/ for getting it done.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Did you end up figuring out TPMS? I am working on picking up a set of used 20" wheels but they will come without TPMS sensors. My guess is that I won't be able to get these from Rivian for a while (if ever). What sensor are you using? Do you have a procedure? Thanks!

Seth

rosspa2

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ipace
Edited the original post as well.....
EDIT: 09/23/2022 - VERY HAPPY TO REPORT, WE FINALLY GOT THE TIRE PRESSURE SENSORS FIGURED OUT AND WORKING. Thanks to Jon at https://tpms247.com/ for getting it done.
Do you have a part number by any chance? Don't see Rivian on the list.
Thanks.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Thanks.
These were the test run. For now, will have to call them directly as it will likely take them a little bit to update their website. I just confirmed with him that the new set works late this afternoon, which was well after 5:00 eastern time where they're located. So he may not even know yet that they do work!

I don't have the part number, but I think they're a general sensor that was programmed accordingly to work specifically with the Rivian.

rosspa2

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ipace
These were the test run. For now, will have to call them directly as it will likely take them a little bit to update their website. I just confirmed with him that the new set works late this afternoon, which was well after 5:00 eastern time where they're located. So he may not even know yet that they do work!

I don't have the part number, but I think they're a general sensor that was programmed accordingly to work specifically with the Rivian.
Great thanks again and thanks for all the effort figuring out the tire options.

Sponsored

derichio02

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EDIT 09/23/2022 - HAPPY TO REPORT, GOT THE TPMS WORKING. SEE DETAILS BELOW.

ALSO, AFTER NOW A COUPLE OF MONTHS, HAVE DECIDED I'LL LIKELY NEVER TAKE THE TRUCK OFF ROAD. SO AM GOING TO MAKE YET ANOTHER CHANGE AND GO WITH 22" STREET WHEELS / TIRES. WILL BE SELLING THIS SET IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED. LESS THAN 1,000 MILES SINCE NEW. COMPLETE SET READY TO BOLT ON, INCLUDING TPMS. SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE WITH AN OFFER IF INTERESTED. ALSO POSTED IN THE SALE SECTION.....DETAILS CAN BE FOUND HERE...
www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/selling-my-custom-wheel-tire-set-up-ready-to-bolt-on.8531/
----------------------------------------------

Because my other post got so lengthy with all the photos, edits and updates and was primarily based on a previous fitment of 285/60/20 inch mud-terrain tires, for those that may be searching, wanted to give this setup its own thread as I believe it is the best possible fitment available for those that are seeking to push the tires out to the edge without going too far and for those considering custom wheels. Again, not about my choice in wheels, but rather to show the fitment. The photos below are of the current fitment that has no signs of rubbing, even in low suspension settings.

NO RUBBING OVER HEAVY SUSPENSION TESTING DIP - I got on the freeway and hit my one famous spot that absolutely bottoms out the suspension in all vehicles. Heavy dip after passing over a bridge below with uneven payment. The freeway road literally drops out from under you, then the vehicle lands and compresses hard. This is my ultimate test. If it doesn't rub here, it's not going to rub. Happy to report, the photos shown below, reflect the fitment that takes it right to the edge without crossing over it and no rubbing.

For reference, the other lengthy post and details of how I got here can be found here:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...photos-to-show-fitment-not-wheel-choice.6408/

NOTES REGARDING PRIOR MUD-TERRAIN TIRE SETUP - Loved the look of the 285/60/20 Mud-Terrain setup. Going with the 60 series tires instead of stock 65 series allowed for a 1/2 inch smaller radius. As previously noted, in my own opinion, the 275/65/20, 34" diameter stock tires are too big for the truck. They dominate the wheel wells and just feel out of place, for my own personal tastes. With the custom wheels having an 18mm offset, they are pushed out just over one inch. Thus made the stock tires feel even bigger. With the 285/60/20 tire, the extra 1/2 inch helped with clearance and proportions. There was just an ever so slight brush of the fender flare when in the low suspension setting and over the above noted heavy freeway dip. No visible evidence, but did hear it. Would have been completely satisfied with that setup, however, ultimately chose to make a change ONLY because the mud-terrain tires are much louder. Thought I could live with it and they're no louder than any other mud-terrain tire. But for my preferences, combined with the Rivian being so quiet, I chose to make the change to a quieter tire. The 285 also allowed for a little wider tire and a better wheel well fitment.

RIVIAN STOCK TIRE OFFERINGS - Rivian's stock 22" and 21" offerings have a 33" tire diameter, one inch less than the stock 20" all-terrain setup. Again, to me, the 33" tires just fit the truck better, based on its size, how they fill the wheel wells, etc.

33 INCH MATCHING PIRELLI TIRE INSTEAD OF STOCK 34 INCH TIRE - I chose to look at the Pirelli tires. Found 275/60/20's in the same tire style as stock. They are the same style "Scorpion All-Terrain" Plus tire with the exact same tread pattern as the stock tires. Very similar load rating. Based on my ears at least, sound exactly the same as the stock tires from Rivian. The only difference is, they are 33" tires like the other offerings from Rivian. I love the way they fit the truck. Plus, with the custom wheels being 18mm offset, these tires provide additional clearance to avoid rubbing in any scenario I could come up with.

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STOCK AND THESE TIRES - The only difference, these aren't stamped as being specifically made for a Rivian. On Tire Rack the stock 275/65/20 tire is $394. Also on Tire Rack, the exact same tread pattern tire, without the Rivian stamp in 275/60/20 (same width, just 33 inch diameter instead of 34 inches) are $248. Roughly $600 per set cheaper. I thought maybe the tires had sound-proofing in them. Read several articles where this sound proofing technique has not made any measurable difference in db ratings. My ears agree. If the stock tires are sound-proofed, I can't tell the difference when comparing these tires with the "Rivian" branded Pirelli's.

MY WHEEL OFFSET CONCLUSIONS / SUMMARY - Hope the info helps for anyone considering going with custom wheels. I probably will change these wheels out. I tried a 20mm offset wheel and it just barely rubbed the caliper. Short of having custom wheels made at probably around $6,000, for those seeking a more economical "off-the-shelf" custom style wheel option, appears that 18mm is both, the maximum and the minimum offset that will fit the truck. Any more offset (lower offset number) would push the wheels/tires out further and potentially rub. Any less offset (higher offset number), doesn't push them out far enough to clear the caliper. Every wheel could be different. So, will have to determine if its worth gambling and trying a set with less offset. I was willing to do so. I now have a brand new set of 20mm offset wheels that I love the look of, but can't fit them on the truck. 18mm appears to be the magic number, at least among what offerings I could find right now and if you go with the 275/60/20 tires instead. The stock 275/65/20 tires won't stick out anymore than these do, but will close the fender well gap and "might" allow it to reach the inner fender liner over a heavy dip. But, in either case, don't appear to have to worry about hitting the edge of the fender or fender flare.

My FINAL ANALYSIS ON OFFSETS / CLEARANCES - I'm dead set on this fitment (for me). May keep looking around for a different style wheel. A 20mm offset would be great if you can find one that the spokes aren't quite as thick and will clear the calipers. But for now, it's going to be a trial and error situation to determine since most places can't answer if they will fit the Rivian specifically. I'm sure some will fit, but can't tell until you try. The 20mm offset wheels I have needed no more than a millimeter to clear. So a 19mm offset wheel would probably work too, but haven't seen any with a 19mm offset. Keep in mind, it's possible that some 18mm wheels could be cut differently or have thicker spokes and not work too. LIkewise, some 20mm wheels out there might actually fit too. Point being, as far as pushing them out as far as you can, without rubbing, 18mm appears to be that maximum amount of offset you can have. 20mm will look just as good, if you can find one that fits. 17mm or less and they'll likely rub the fenders under heavy compression. There's one video of someone doing a +1mm offset and the wheels stuck out well past the fenders and the installer confirmed that they rubbed without moving, let alone while actually driving. If you never allow the truck to go into the low setting, can probably get away with that setup. But, for those that don't want to have to worry about it, 18mm appears to be the goldilocks' offset figure....if you also switch to the 33" 275/60/20 inch tire.

STANDARD RIDE HEIGHT
1657323848266.png

STANDARD RIDE HEIGHT
1657323652656.png

STANDARD RIDE HEIGHT
1657324161993.png

STANDARD RIDE HEIGHT
1657324220899.png

IN LOWEST SUSPENSION SETTING.......
1657323753031.png

IN LOWEST SUSPENSION SETTING.......
1657326529567.png

CLEARANCE IN LOWEST RIDE HEIGHT SETTING
1657350207047.png
Thanks for all of the hard work here. Should there be a new thread for the 22” wheels and how aggressive we can go with the offset. I’m not even sure of the specs for the stock 22” wheel and tire. I will likely keep my 20” A/T and add a 22” set for non winter or off road scenarios. Just need to look at the axel weight to ensure I find a set with the correct load ratings. Would be good to get these ratings from the stock 22” wheel and tires

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Thanks for all of the hard work here. Should there be a new thread for the 22” wheels and how aggressive we can go with the offset. I’m not even sure of the specs for the stock 22” wheel and tire. I will likely keep my 20” A/T and add a 22” set for non winter or off road scenarios. Just need to look at the axel weight to ensure I find a set with the correct load ratings. Would be good to get these ratings from the stock 22” wheel and tires
Yeah, almost certainly will have to find something with just a bit less offset if you're going to lean more toward the "sport truck" stance than the off-road stance.
Off-road tires always seem to look better being kicked out just a little from the fenders. Certainly not the same when aiming for a sportier appearance. Will be looking for something that lines up just about even with the fenders.

Great thing about this truck is, I'll be able to make that switch back and forth any time, simply by changing the wheels/tires and adjusting the suspension settings with the push of a button. Nice to have options!

derichio02

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, almost certainly will have to find something with just a bit less offset if you're going to lean more toward the "sport truck" stance than the off-road stance.
Off-road tires always seem to look better being kicked out just a little from the fenders. Certainly not the same when aiming for a sportier appearance. Will be looking for something that lines up just about even with the fenders.

Great thing about this truck is, I'll be able to make that switch back and forth any time, simply by changing the wheels/tires and adjusting the suspension settings with the push of a button. Nice to have options!
I have some spacers from my dodge that I plan to play around with a bit. And yes, flush stance is what I would be after probably +25 or higher but I’ll see after finding the offset of the 22’s. I have seen OEM specs at both +48 and +58 for the 22’s not sure which one is real and not yet sure of the width yet either

This would help visualize on willtheyfit.com

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I have some spacers from my dodge that I plan to play around with a bit. And yes, flush stance is what I would be after probably +25 or higher but I’ll see after finding the offset of the 22’s. I have seen OEM specs at both +48 and +58 for the 22’s not sure which one is real and not yet sure of the width yet either

This would help visualize on willtheyfit.com
Unfortunately, it's not just the offset. The stock wheels are a whopping +48mm offset (not much at all). The wheels on the truck are at 18 mm and just barely clear the calipers. I was hoping to get a 20 mm set on there to bring them in just a hair, but, was about 1 mm short of clearing the calipers. So a lot has to do with how the wheels are cut on the inside. Rivian obviously cuts their wheels in a manner that keeps them tucked in, yet still clears the calipers. Again, not by much.

But, almost certain, most custom wheels with less than 20 mm offset would fit and clear the calipers. Tire Rack has apparently tested which wheels will physically fit and clear the calipers. Many of them have offsets less than 18 mm, which anything with a lower offset number pushes the tires out too much and will rub. Someone mounted a set with just +1MM and they stuck out a mile. I'm betting he didn't leave them on there long. As far as fender clearance goes, 18 mm, if you go with the smaller tire as I did, is about the furthest out you can push them without rubbing. With the stock tire size, 20 mm is the figure. Some 20 mm offset wheels will fit, but definitely not all.

I had a set of 21" stock wheels that I had powder coated black. Finally, just got around to putting them on. WOW, what a difference. First time I've driven a Rivian with anything other than all-terrain tires.

I put 5 mm wheel spacers on the stock wheels to push them out a little bit. Minor change, but for someone like me, that notices the tiny little things, that 5 mm actually makes a pretty big difference in the appearance.

Where I was most surprised however, is how much quieter the 21" wheels / tires are than the 20"s with all-terrain tires. Add to that, my efficiency, (given, only one single test as a sampling), but a trip I take almost daily, and my efficiency was up 0.3 miles per kWh. Roughly a 37 mile difference in range.

Was not a fan of the look of the stock 21" wheels, but, taking the plastic aero covers off and powder coating them in gloss black, plus kicking them out 5 mm, they actually look pretty good.

The thing with black wheels, most of them look pretty much the same as they get shadowed in to where you barely see the design of the wheels anyway. So just a matter of if you like the black wheel look. Beyond that, except when looking closely in bright light, they all tend to look fairly similar. Going to ride around on these for a couple of weeks and see how I feel about them. Primarily to determine if I like the all black look better, or I want to stick with something that has some brushed edges.

Crappy pictures as it is night time, but for those that notice the little things, can see that the wheels are pushed out closer to the fenders due to the spacers. Will get better photos when I get a chance. Seems like there's probably enough thread on the studs that I could have pushed to 7 or 8 mm, but didn't want to push it.

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED - New Custom Wheels / Tires 20x9, 18mm offset, with 275/60/20 Pirelli's (33") - NO RUBBING 1664096458179

Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED - New Custom Wheels / Tires 20x9, 18mm offset, with 275/60/20 Pirelli's (33") - NO RUBBING 1664096446245

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Thanks.
Rock auto lists a bunch of TPMS sensors for the Rivian.
Sponsored