Sponsored

How much would you pay to use Teslas Supercharger network?

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Rivian could set this up many different ways:

1) Purchase software' key' at time of sale (Rivian adds $1000 to price of vehicle?) - unlimited use?
2) Purchase from Rivian thru a software upgrade (like Telsa FSD)
3) Subscription model (pay as you go or monthly like Electrify America)- this mighty the easiest method?

So, how much per kWh would you pay to use the Tesla Supercharger Network (assuming a fast charge) ?

Personally I'd pay substantially more (3x or more maybe) than what Tesla charges their customers (avg $0.27 USD per kWh) to have access when I absolutely need a charge with no other options nearby.

Might this be a way to satisfy customers while Rivian grows their own network??
Sponsored

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
In my region there is not much difference between Tesla SC and EA network - location wise. However most SCs are 150 kW while EA's location are 350 kW, which for vehicle like Rivian should matter.

Assuming that charging at SC would be possible, most probably I wouldn't even bother to get an adapter. CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter costs ~$500, but even if CCS was less I probably wouldn't get it.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
EA charges 0.43/KWH, or 0.31 if you pay a monthly fee of $4. I am currently willing to pay that to EA for the ability to charge on long drives, so I would at least pay that much for a Super Charger.

Many people get bent out of shape over these charges being so much higher than at home, but let's face it that someone has to pay for the infrasturcture and maintenance. I think it should be the users of the service.

To put it in perspective, it roughly costs me 0.10/mile to charge my Bolt on a long trip using a DFDC. That is equaivalent to a gas car that gets 25-30mpg (exception is CA, but there gas taxes are outrageous).

The Rivian will be about 0.20/mile, due to less efficiency, so that is more like a current gas truck that gets 12-15mpg.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
EA charges 0.43/KWH, or 0.31 if you pay a monthly fee of $4. I am currently willing to pay that to EA for the ability to charge on long drives, so I would at least pay that much for a Super Charger.
At $0.43 per kWh, it would cost $77.40 for the full max battery pack. Assuming 400 miles range, that is basically $0.20 per mile.

The F-150 Hybrid is rated 24mpg city and highway. Gas prices fluctuate, but the current national average is $2.476 per gallon. that just over $0.10 per mile — half the cost of EA charging. You wouldn’t see price-parity until gas was $5 per gallon!

If you pay the $4 monthly fee then the $0.31 per kWh is more reasonable. It would cost $55.80 for 400 miles of range, or $0.14 per mile. You’d reach price-parity at $3.36 per gallon.

I understand EA needs to make money, but $0.43 per kWh is highway robbery, imo. If you’re taking trips that require charging, I’d definitely do the $4 monthly plan. You’d only need to charge less than 34 kWh to make up that monthly cost (or one FULL charge of the max pack PER YEAR).

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I understand EA needs to make money, but $0.43 per kWh is highway robbery, imo. If you’re taking trips that require charging, I’d definitely do the $4 monthly plan. You’d only need to charge less than 34 kWh to make up that monthly cost (or one FULL charge of the max pack PER YEAR).
I don't think any of the DCFC companies are charging highway robbery. Considering I think I've seen ballpark numbers of $20K+ for electrical service infrastructure and $30K each for a 2 unit charger companies are looking at some large upfront costs not even considering if they pay for use of space. I'm not sure the life expectancy of the equipment either. If i'm wrong and their is a way to make a killing building and operating DCFC then i'm in look me up.

Sponsored

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
6 years ago I paid $2K to enable supercharing on our Model S 60.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
6 years ago I paid $2K to enable supercharing on our Model S 60.
Ouch... Wasn't free supercharging included with referral on model S 85 a short time later?
I'm glad BEV are improving rapidly but I hope my launch R1T isn't obsolete with 50% depretiation in 4 years.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think any of the DCFC companies are charging highway robbery. Considering I think I've seen ballpark numbers of $20K+ for electrical service infrastructure and $30K each for a 2 unit charger companies are looking at some large upfront costs not even considering if they pay for use of space. I'm not sure the life expectancy of the equipment either. If i'm wrong and their is a way to make a killing building and operating DCFC then i'm in look me up.
Plus they have to pay demand fees. I attended an EA webinar and they ended up paying $8/KWH one month at a Utah charging site due to demand charges. 3 E-Trons charged at 150KW simultaneously.

If you are buying an EV because you think trips will cost less than a gas vehicle, then you should not buy one at this time, wait until gas hits $5/gallon. Long road trips will cost as much or more than an ICE for fuel.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
Ouch... Wasn't free supercharging included with referral on model S 85 a short time later?
I'm glad BEV are improving rapidly but I hope my launch R1T isn't obsolete with 50% depretiation in 4 years.
The 85 included unlimited supercharging, the 60 did not. We didn’t want to pay $10K for 60 miles of range that we rarely needed. For the R1T, we are opting for the 400+ range due to no supercharging and being ICE free.

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Rivian could set this up many different ways:

1) Purchase software' key' at time of sale (Rivian adds $1000 to price of vehicle?) - unlimited use?
2) Purchase from Rivian thru a software upgrade (like Telsa FSD)
3) Subscription model (pay as you go or monthly like Electrify America)- this mighty the easiest method?

So, how much per kWh would you pay to use the Tesla Supercharger Network (assuming a fast charge) ?

Personally I'd pay substantially more (3x or more maybe) than what Tesla charges their customers (avg $0.27 USD per kWh) to have access when I absolutely need a charge with no other options nearby.

Might this be a way to satisfy customers while Rivian grows their own network??
Yeah that would be nice, if only Elon would allow that. Does anyone know if an adapter will be available?

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Yeah that would be nice, if only Elon would allow that. Does anyone know if an adapter will be available?
Adapters to let J1772-equipped vehicles charge from Tesla chargers already exist. One example is:
These only work on non-superchargers, however.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Adapters to let J1772-equipped vehicles charge from Tesla chargers already exist. One example is:
I sure hope that’s not the only solution. The only time I’ll need to use Supercharger would be destination charging in route to someplace. So high speed DC charging is what I’d be looking for.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I sure hope that’s not the only solution. The only time I’ll need to use Supercharger would be destination charging in route to someplace. So high speed DC charging is what I’d be looking for.
I’m not 100% on the Tesla, lingo, but I think supercharging is not destination charging. I believe ”destination charging” is just a basic L2 charger. “Supercharging” would be comparable to DCFC.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
This does not work, it is simply Level 2 charging. You would need a Tesla to CCS adapter, which currently does not exist for CCS1, but does exist in Europe for CCS2.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
This does not work, it is simply Level 2 charging. You would need a Tesla to CCS adapter, which currently does not exist for CCS1, but does exist in Europe for CCS2.
I’m confused why you felt you had to say I was wrong when I wasn’t, only to then re-state what I already said?
Sponsored