Sponsored

R1T = a high maintenance princess (demands a $29k fix ;) )

rivianRmn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Hello,

I preordered last year and received my R1T in June. YAY!

The process moved along really quickly. My estimated delivery window was from October to December, but after everything magically appeared in my online account, I received the delivery a week and a half later. Communication with the Guide was minimal to nonexistent.

I loved the truck for a whole week before I got into a fender bender :( I loved the truck even though the whole time I felt like I was testing a buggy product for Rivian. On the other hand, if I'm out somewhere with the truck a lot of people will comment on how cool it looks. The acceleration is awesome and the gear tunnel is fantastic!

Coming back to the story, I never had an auto accident in life but I guess there is always the first, right? Well, I applied the breaks as hard as I can but the truck felt like it was on ice and I knew 3-4 seconds before it crashed that it is not stopping. Luckily, we were going 20-25 mph. The incident left a dent on the hood and minor damages to the bumper.

Collision Center Nightmares:
Unfortunately, there is only one Rivian authorized collision center in my state (VA), and they didn't had any appointments for the next three months. For some reason, Rivian will only deliver components to this collision center. I spoke with Rivian, and they decided to work on other warranty items first. Rivian has been very helpful and trying to do what they can. They talked with the collision center and got me a date for the subsequent month. Well, it's now being "repaired". Try to guess what I get next. THE ESTIMATE!!! and how much is it, exactly? 29k!!! ;)
Well, the repair shop placed the order for the parts, but they either received the wrong ones or broken ones from Rivian. The only thing I hope for now is to get my truck back one day! I hope I get it back eventually, it's been about 3 months and counting.

It seems like there is nothing like repair in R1T, it is all about replacing the parts. If I have another chance I will probably wait to buy R1T up until Rivian has more roots established.

Overall, I loved the truck for the time I had while most of the time it felt like I'm someone testing the software, truck and reporting bugs, for Rivian lol. I hope that with more truck/SUV rollouts there will be more collision centers and better handing of the repairs.

Till next time! Cheers!
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Sorry about that. I experienced some of what you are talking about with a broken stud on my DF wheel. Rather than replace the stud they swapped out the whole hub, luckily they covered it.

For some context on the $29k figure I guess people (including me) would like to know the extent of the damage.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Hello,

The process moved along really quickly. My estimated delivery window was from October to December, but after everything magically appeared in my online account, I received the delivery a week and a half later. Communication with the Guide was minimal to nonexistent.

I loved the truck for a whole week before I got into a fender bender :( I loved the truck even though the whole time I felt like I was testing a buggy product for Rivian. On the other hand, if I'm out somewhere with the truck a lot of people will comment on how cool it looks. The acceleration is awesome and the gear tunnel is fantastic!

Coming back to the story, I never had an auto accident in life but I guess there is always the first, right? Well, I applied the breaks as hard as I can but the truck felt like it was on ice and I knew 3-4 seconds before it crashed that it is not stopping. Luckily, we were going 20-25 mph. The incident left a dent on the hood and minor damages to the bumper.

Unfortunately, there is only one Rivian authorized collision center in my state (VA), and they didn't had any appointments for the next three months. For some reason, Rivian will only deliver components to this collision center. I spoke with Rivian, and they decided to work on other warranty items first. Rivian has been very helpful and trying to do what they can. They talked with the collision center and got me a date for the subsequent month. Well, it's now being "repaired". Try to guess what I get next. THE ESTIMATE!!! and how much is it, exactly? 29k!!! ;)
Well, the repair shop placed the order for the parts, but they either received the wrong ones or broken ones from Rivian. The only thing I hope for now is to get my truck back one day! I hope I get it back eventually, it's been about 3 months and counting.

It seems like there is nothing like repair in R1T, it is all about replacing the parts. If I have another chance I will probably wait to buy R1T up until Rivian has more roots established.

Overall, I loved the truck for the time I had while most of the time it felt like I'm someone testing the software, truck and reporting bugs, for Rivian lol. I hope that with more truck/SUV rollouts there will be more collision centers and better handing of the repairs.

Till next time! Cheers!
Hopefully no one got hurt.... just paying the early adopter tax

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Hello,

Till next time! Cheers!
How did the accident happen?

Moon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
That's an awful experience.

The $29k repair cost steals the limelight in your story, I am curious about:
  • You had it for a week and you loved it, but you always felt you were a beta tester, testing a buggy product: What made you feel that way? What issues did you report to Rivian ?
  • Driving at 20-25mph, applied break as hard as you could, truck felt as if it was on ice: Breaks locked-up? Was it slippery or downhill? Did you really felt that or was that just an exaggeration?
  • Dent on the hood and minor damages to the bumper: Could you please share pictures?

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That’s terrible! Of all the times to have your first accident it‘s with a rare Rivian that can only be repaired in very few shops :asshat: I think everyone is optimistic it won’t always be like that. Hopefully this is the only time you need to test that theory out though…

FWIW I’ve heard of many different vehicles spending 1-3 months at body shops over the last couple years. Lots of parts shortages, even for very common cars/ trucks.

OP
OP

rivianRmn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Sorry about that. I experienced some of what you are talking about with a broken stud on my DF wheel. Rather than replace the stud they swapped out the whole hub, luckily they covered it.

For some context on the $29k figure I guess people (including me) would like to know the extent of the damage.
What I learnt so far is that they are replacing the whole camera system front back all of it. If one camera is getting fixed all needs to be replaced (the camera itself is okay it is just out of the bracket), the hood is getting replaced, the hvac whole system is getting replaced (the fan is out of place, I have had problem with hvac before incident as well and not it became part of the incident somehow), the bumper is getting replaced basically the whole front is getting replaced. In total, parts are around 12k and 16kish is in labor (paint, body etc.). I hope that helps!

OP
OP

rivianRmn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
How did the accident happen?
The traffic was going extremely slow, we were doing 20-25mph. The people in front of me were braking and coming to a complete stop. I tried doing the same but my truck wasn't slowing down and it felt like the system took over my brakes and it didn't matter how hard I apply the brakes it wasn't really slowing down. My wife felt the same that it was sliding on the ice.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

The traffic was going extremely slow, we were doing 20-25mph. The people in front of me were braking and coming to a complete stop. I tried doing the same but my truck wasn't slowing down and it felt like the system took over my brakes and it didn't matter how hard I apply the brakes it wasn't really slowing down. My wife felt the same that it was sliding on the ice.
Wow, that sounds pretty scary

Sponsored

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Another poster talked about how he bedded his brakes upon receiving the truck... This should be more common practice. I would imagine the stopping force ain't great for brakes that are never used

OP
OP

rivianRmn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
That's an awful experience.

The $29k repair cost steals the limelight in your story, I am curious about:
  • You had it for a week and you loved it, but you always felt you were a beta tester, testing a buggy product: What made you feel that way? What issues did you report to Rivian ?
  • Driving at 20-25mph, applied break as hard as you could, truck felt as if it was on ice: Breaks locked-up? Was it slippery or downhill? Did you really felt that or was that just an exaggeration?
  • Dent on the hood and minor damages to the bumper: Could you please share pictures?
I believe I have like 50-60 tickets open lol
Just to list a few AC vents never worked for me lol (they like to blow air only in one direction, I have learnt though that they have fixed this issue via OTA), driver+ (I stopped using it and when it rains it sees invisible things and brakes for no reason or drives where ever. My rental now has lane feature and that works a lot better lol. The cruise control was a joke in R1T), the truck pulls to one direction is the other one.
It was flat road and sunny day. We were coming back from the beach :)
Hopefully it will upload the picture now!

Rivian R1T R1S R1T = a high maintenance princess (demands a $29k fix ;) ) IMG_9097

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Another poster talked about how he bedded his brakes upon receiving the truck... This should be more common practice. I would imagine the stopping force ain't great for brakes that are never used
Only thing that would explain this to me was if it was the OP's first time hitting the brakes hard enough to require the use of the physical brakes, and the calipers just plain didn't do anything. My truck stops pretty quick considering its heft. Even new brakes should have been able to stop from 20 mph in 3 seconds.

OP
OP

rivianRmn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
That’s terrible! Of all the times to have your first accident it‘s with a rare Rivian that can only be repaired in very few shops :asshat: I think everyone is optimistic it won’t always be like that. Hopefully this is the only time you need to test that theory out though…

FWIW I’ve heard of many different vehicles spending 1-3 months at body shops over the last couple years. Lots of parts shortages, even for very common cars/ trucks.

I know right? I hope so too. I think for my truck Rivian is sending generic parts and the collision center has to paint it to match my truck to speed up the process. I really hope that it will be fixed up soon!

Moon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
I believe I have like 50-60 tickets open lol
Just to list a few AC vents never worked for me lol (they like to blow air only in one direction, I have learnt though that they have fixed this issue via OTA), driver+ (I stopped using it and when it rains it sees invisible things and brakes for no reason or drives where ever. My rental now has lane feature and that works a lot better lol. The cruise control was a joke in R1T), the truck pulls to one direction is the other one.
It was flat road and sunny day. We were coming back from the beach :)
Hopefully it will upload the picture now!

IMG_9097.jpg
Thank you for sharing. Anything damaged inside, behind the bumper, any sensors malfunctioning? Sandy Munro's video talks about too many bolts and two of them poking out here.
Sponsored