Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Depends on the EV.... Rivian threw in a lot of "upgrades" when designing their first vehicles. An R1T without air suspension, glass roof, motorized tonneau, "autopilot", motorized air vents, 4-motor drive, etc... would have been a much simpler vehicle to build and maintain as it ages. I can't imagine many original R1T owners will be keeping their first gen vehicles well after the OEM "bumper-to-bumper" warranty expires.

My 2017 Bolt had none of the parts/systems mentioned above. I had it 3.5yrs and put almost 45K miles on it.... and it was never in the shop for anything but a strictly cosmetic issue (that was covered under warranty). It literally cost me a set of wiper blades to maintain for 45K mi of use.
You bring up a very interesting point. Perhaps the ex explorer could have been a much more simple version without the air suspension, glass roof, etc.
Sponsored

MRE

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Land Rover LR4, Ducati Streetfighter
I keep seeing stories of how EVs will lower maintenance time/costs, but have yet to see any proof of that with modern EV design.
You haven't looked very hard, then. The are countless articles and forum write-ups for people with 100k+ miles that have broken down their actual cost comparisons. I've owned 3 EVs now (2 Teslas and R1T) and driven more than 100k in then myself. My maintenance has included wipers and tires.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

You have to keep in mind that this is the Land Rover / Alfa Romeo of EVā€™s so ownership costs will be relative. Not keeping things simple is kind of Rivianā€™s MO.

my previous ev experience has been that itā€™s cheaper than the comparable ICE vehicle. I spend more on tires but make up for it in the fact that there was nooil changes, fuel costs are lower, and there have been no drive train repairs.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
You have to keep in mind that this is the Land Rover / Alfa Romeo of EVā€™s so ownership costs will be relative. Not keeping things simple is kind of Rivianā€™s MO.
I was ok with LR but why are we bringing Alfa Romeo into this?

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

People love their Alfas for the looks but they are said to break often? Admittedly never owned an Alfa so maybe Iā€™ve transgressed? The point is that this EV has more things that CAN break than say, a Nissan leaf.

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
People love their Alfas for the looks but they are said to break often? Admittedly never owned an Alfa so maybe Iā€™ve transgressed? The point is that this EV has more things that CAN break than say, a Nissan leaf.
I was joking. Agree, that Alfa's were "temperamental" back a few decades ago. My uncle owned an Alfa dealership. I own two modern Alfas and they are very reliable.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
You haven't looked very hard, then. The are countless articles and forum write-ups for people with 100k+ miles that have broken down their actual cost comparisons. I've owned 3 EVs now (2 Teslas and R1T) and driven more than 100k in then myself. My maintenance has included wipers and tires.
+1 to this experience. My R1T is my third EV and I've never spent a dime (or an hour) on maintenance besides tires, wipers (+fluid), etc. My Teslas had some repairs due to a breakin, thrown rocks on the highway, etc., but nothing due to defect or mechanical failure.

Stuff like this suspension failure is inevitable to happen at some frequency, but there isn't enough data yet to imply a significant scale problem. Right now we have a couple reports out of several thousand deliveries (cf. the incidence on genuine known design flaws like the early 12v battery issues with dozens of reports, or the tonneau with hundreds of reports). It could be any combination of bad luck, coincidence, or an actual problem with yields/reliability - but it's just too early to know. And so far this is all well within warranty territory, so it's a bit early to panic about ownership costs. (That would change if this was a chronic failure that increases in likelihood with vehicle age, but there's no evidence of that just yet.)

On the other hand, IMO it's more than reasonable to complain about the failure modes (e.g. the fact that the suspension collapses to an undrivable state with no redundant systems), and as always it's a good practice to never go off-roading far from civilization without an emergency plan (satellite communicator, second vehicle, etc.). But let's not cry wolf about maintenance just yet.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I sincerely hope you're right as my average vehicle is 20 years old. I can't say that any of my 20-year old computers have held up as well, and that's the direction EVs are going. While they're new and shiny, sure, they're cheaper, but I hold my vehicles for longer than many.

Speaking of, has Rivian even put a maintenance schedule out? How often does the brake fluid need to be flushed? Battery coolant? Gearbox service? Suspension hydraulic fluid? Air compressor oil?

MRE

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Land Rover LR4, Ducati Streetfighter
I sincerely hope you're right as my average vehicle is 20 years old. I can't say that any of my 20-year old computers have held up as well, and that's the direction EVs are going. While they're new and shiny, sure, they're cheaper, but I hold my vehicles for longer than many.

Speaking of, has Rivian even put a maintenance schedule out? How often does the brake fluid need to be flushed? Battery coolant? Gearbox service? Suspension hydraulic fluid? Air compressor oil?
The computer 'problem' isn't just EVs.. at least not according to all these salesmen that keep pushing extended warranties at me because "that Jeep has 14 computers in it.. do you know how to service those!?"

For the Rivian service schedules I haven't seen anything, but that doesn't surprise me {note: I have never looked for one either}. Brake usage/wear will vary greatly between drivers due to the use of regenerative braking for most driving/drivers. If they are anything like Tesla, everything else will be handled via on-vehicle monitoring indicating when a given fluid may be nearing a maintenance threshold.

Regarding the suspension, I'll echo prior comments that over the LONG long-haul we'll probably see coil-over retro fits happening. Though, personally, as long as my budget allows for it I'd replace the compressor and air bag components. The adjustable ride height is worth the extra cost for me, but definitely imagine there will be people for whom that is not true.

Lastly, FWIW in qualifying my responses, I've got ~15k miles on my R1T now (60k on the Tesla before it, and 120k on my Wrangler). I've taken the R1T across a number of states and a couple mountain passes (which I need to do a general write up on sometime soon, but for now you should be able to see pictures here or in my Google Photos album here.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Although electrically powered, it is still mechanical in nature. Stuff will eventually break.

Whether that be the infotainment system (like the Tesla), AC issues, suspension issue, motor issue, etc, something is going to break.

Im hoping that its test audience (US!) will slowly get all of their problems weeded out!

Sponsored

M00v0vr

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T MY
Occupation
entrepreneur/ski race coach
Ask and you shall receive šŸ™‚ A few snaps from the trip:

DSCF5229.jpg

DSCF5227.jpg

DSCF5211.jpg

DSCF5213.jpg

(Missed focus on this one in my hurry to catch the pose that she held for about a tenth of a second. What I would give for pet face detection on the Fuji!)

DSCF5208.jpg

DSCF5242.jpg
Which Roof Nest Model is that? It appears to fit perfectly. NVRM, a little searching of the interwebs and I found it.

Last edited:

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Which Roof Nest Model is that? It appears to fit perfectly.
Condor Overland. It does indeed fit perfectly šŸ™‚ Highly recommended (see my post here), although I think we had four different brand RTTs (Thule Tepui, Roofnest, CVT, and iKamper X-Cover Mini) and four happy customers on this trip, so you can't really go wrong!

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
I see so many issues of different types. In a way the early adopters are beta testers.
I wonder how fast would Rivian be able to act on these issues from customers to fix future vehicles to prevent the same problems from happening.Are we talking months or years? I expect my R1S by mid to end of next year and am wondering how ā€œbetaā€ would the vehicle be by then.
btw. Hats off to the early adopters!!

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Quick Update: I was able to get a rental this morning, F150. Per Rivianā€™s request I had to unload everything from my truck (RTT, Awning, Roadshower, etc). I was able to load everything in but frankly the F150 doesnā€™t have as much storage as a Rivian. Enterprise made me sign that I wouldnā€™t smoke or have any pets in the vehicle (but I had my dog with me..) so keep that in mind if you get stranded with your pet.

Unluckily I got a leak in one of the tires in my rental as I was driving on I84 through the gorge, found a nail in the inside sidewall. I had my toolbox with a tire repair kit so I did a field repair and swapped out the rental at a local Enterprise.

No update on the truck just yet.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
LOL

I laugh at this because there was an EV Noob on here that commented the only fluid in the R1T was the wiper fluid, and there were less parts in an R1T than an ICE car. Wrong on both accounts. A battery pack has 7,776 batteries - compare that to parts in an ICE.

As an exercise in research abilities I'd be curious as to how many parts there actually are in an R1T compared to say a Taco.
Sponsored