Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Hopefully you will have it back soon! Love your BEV overlanding group! I'd love to join when I get my R1T but that will be awhile. If you do a run and are open to ICE rigs at some point, let me know!
Sounds like it might come home tonight, at least I got a cryptic text message that my service is scheduled between 9-10pm tonight but that may be pick up time but either is in line with what I was told yesterday (Either late Friday or Saturday).

Also no need to wait on your Rivian to join our PNW overlanding adventures, my original statement/thought was the everyone was welcome (EV or not) just that trips would be designed around what is possible with an EV. So keep an eye out for the next trip!
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
And thanks, definitely a cool trip meeting up with other Rivian owners, sadly I think the best parts of the planned route were in the next section of the trail that is now unfinished business.
Totally agree. I'm tempted to finish it up with the wife as a camping trip before things get slippery out there.

R1T-USN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€™19 X5 40i, ā€™07 X5 4.8, ā€™98 M Roadster
@jjswan33

Howā€™s the rig - have you tried camp mode yet?

EDIT - you donā€™t have your truck back yet - hope you get it today!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Well. Got my truck back this morning, out of the blue the tow driver called me a little less than 2 hours away telling me he was on his way.

Went to take it on a drive, ajusted the suspension back to standard height (actually all purpose auto) and drove off. Within a few miles I started getting several dummy lights and suspension is not adjustable also LKAS, forward collision mitigation, auto high beams and cruise control are offline. Tried a hard reset and no dice.

Rivian wants it back for serviceā€¦ so 5 months of ownership (plus a week or two) this will be my 6th service visit. Itā€™s like they didnā€™t even inspect everything before sending it back.

The most awesome truck in the world just isnā€™t worth it if it is broken 20% of the time, maybe it is better for all you folks that have 3-4 cars but enterprise rental cars and uber credits just donā€™t cut it.

Rivian R1T R1S Broken Suspension on R1T šŸ˜« during PNW Rivian group trip: WA BDR. 26DB0B5D-DAB9-4F65-802C-1BAD73960916

Last edited:

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Me? I would escalate your case within Rivian. If they donā€™t want to help I would flip for a profit and move on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Me? I would escalate your case within Rivian. If they donā€™t want to help I would flip for a profit and move on.
Yeah I have escalated my case, I am sure they will be accommodating.

But Iā€™m losing faith both as an owner and an investor.

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Well. Got my truck back this morning, out of the blue the tow driver called me a little less than 2 hours away telling me he was on his way.

Went to take it on a drive, ajusted the suspension back to standard height (actually all purpose auto) and drove off. Within a few miles I started getting several dummy lights and suspension is not operable, LKAS is offline, forward collision is offline, no cruise control. Tried a hard reset and no dice.

Rivian wants it back for serviceā€¦ so 5 months of ownership (plus a week or two) this will be my 6th service visit. Itā€™s like they didnā€™t even inspect everything before sending it back.

The most awesome truck in the world just isnā€™t worth it if it is broken 20% of the time, maybe it is better for all you folks that have 3-4 cars but enterprise rental cars and uber credits just donā€™t cut it.

26DB0B5D-DAB9-4F65-802C-1BAD73960916.jpeg
I hear/read a bunch of issues like this from the Bellevue service center. It doesn't inspire confidence of they couldn't check it before sending it back.

Or, if the towing process makes them prone to not working...

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Sure, as an individual I understand flipping and moving on. But Rivian needs to figure this stuff out, they can't have repeated service visits for problems. This isn't the first thread I've read today about it. I don't think I've ever bought a new car and have brought it back for service in less than a year, other than scheduled maintenance. Rivian can't blame a dealer, they own the whole thing. The "its a new company, new trucks, we have to expect that we are beta testers" mantra only flies so far. They are live, selling real products to real customers, for a significant amount of money. Beta products don't always succeed. Quite a few people seem to have flipped and moved on due to repeat service visits, eventually a poor reputation develops, and that can take a long time to shed, with resale and future orders sinking in the process. Sure, starting a new car company from the ground up is hard, it's difficult, there is a lot to it, from design to build to service. It's what Rivian signed up to do, they need to do it.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Went to take it on a drive, ajusted the suspension back to standard height (actually all purpose auto) and drove off. Within a few miles I started getting several dummy lights and suspension is not adjustable also LKAS, forward collision mitigation, auto high beams and cruise control are offline. Tried a hard reset and no dice.

26DB0B5D-DAB9-4F65-802C-1BAD73960916.jpeg
Ugh. What the hell. Sounds like it's time for one of them emails we talked about.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
Per Rivianā€™s request I had to unload everything from my truck (RTT, Awning, Roadshower, etc)...
Am I the only one alarmed by this?

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

@jjswan33 I feel fo you. This would frustrate the hell out of me. My biggest takeaway from your experience is "how can I trust the vehicle is going to make it point A-B on road, let alone off road without issues".

The repeated servicing is irksome, and I still don't understand the 2 stage qc, both in the factory and service center prior to delivery, if in the end they deliver it to you just to say "Yeah, we made notes of those already and would like to schedule a service apt. The day you take delivery. That one baffles me, and further clogs an already strained service center. Catch these things at the factory perhaps?

To Rivian,
Get away from the GM "note on the seat" to do list from the factory to the service center/new owner. Resolve these things before they ever get loaded on the truck. It's the only way you'll save your brands image as a reliable adventure vehicle.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

So quick update for anyone following.

I was driving my truck around yesterday and it seems like the DF side suspension is still broken, I donā€™t think it is a leak like the PF was but when I try to raise the ride height It tries for a few minutes until it eventually fails and disables multiple features on the truck (changing drive modes, ADAS, LKAS, auto high beams, etc).

So basically it seems like they changed at major suspension component (PF damper) and then didnā€™t even bother to check if the suspension was working afterwordsā€¦. :facepalm:

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I was driving my truck around yesterday and it seems like the DF side suspension is still broken, I donā€™t think it is a leak like the PF was but when I try to raise the ride height It tries for a few minutes until it eventually fails and disables multiple features on the truck (changing drive modes, ADAS, LKAS, auto high beams, etc).

So basically it seems like they changed at major suspension component (PF damper) and then didnā€™t even bother to check if the suspension was working afterwordsā€¦. :facepalm:
FFS!

BackMarker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 4Runner, 2006 Jeep LJ
Occupation
Local Government

Ugh, you would think that they would at least run it through a full cycle before throwing it up on the roll back.

I wonder if a sensor on the DF got tweaked while the truck was trying to compensate for the blown strut on the PF?

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Talk about frustration!

Rivian service at your location clearly leaves a lot to be desired.
Sponsored