OP

SteelersFan

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Glacier White R1T Launch
For anyone watching this post - official word from Rivian: they don’t want to revert me to prior software, too many unknowns. The issue is a known problem with early VIN trucks and this beta version, it will be resolved in release version.

And I’ve requested to opt out of the beta list, some folks thrive on that stuff, I just want my truck to work right. Including the tonneau cover which has had none of the issues others have noted.
Sponsored

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I’m assuming peoples quarter mile times will be a bit faster too since in theory they should have a bit higher trap speed since the speedometer is closer to the actual speed than previously. Not sure how much of a difference it’ll make

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Looking forward to the update, but I am taking a 2,000-mile road trip in two weeks. I think I will wait till I get back. My R1T is running just fine.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I’m assuming peoples quarter mile times will be a bit faster too since in theory they should have a bit higher trap speed since the speedometer is closer to the actual speed than previously. Not sure how much of a difference it’ll make
Your 1/4 mile time would be exactly the same... you're still traveling the same distance.

Your 0-60 speed (assuming you relied on the speedo, which you shouldn't do, in any vehicle) would actually go up. Rivian was reporting the speed higher than actual, so it would say you hit 60mph before you actually did. By reducing that margin, it will take longer for it to indicate 60mph (although truck wouldn't actually be any slower).

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Your 1/4 mile time would be exactly the same... you're still traveling the same distance.

Your 0-60 speed (assuming you relied on the speedo, which you shouldn't do, in any vehicle) would actually go up. Rivian was reporting the speed higher than actual, so it would say you hit 60mph before you actually did. By reducing that margin, it will take longer for it to indicate 60mph (although truck wouldn't actually be any slower).
Truck hits the 115 mph limiter well before the end of the quarter mile and traps 110. If it still limits at 115 it should trap 113-114. Could mean dropping a tenth, but won't be a huge difference. Odds are it'll still bounce off the limiter.

If they made a drag mode that bumped the limiter up and kept full power, I fully believe my truck would trap around 123-125 mph based on the 1/8 mile time.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

For anyone watching this post - official word from Rivian: they don’t want to revert me to prior software, too many unknowns. The issue is a known problem with early VIN trucks and this beta version, it will be resolved in release version.

And I’ve requested to opt out of the beta list, some folks thrive on that stuff, I just want my truck to work right. Including the tonneau cover which has had none of the issues others have noted.
It's easy enough to just not update until they post public release notes.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Truck hits the 115 mph limiter well before the end of the quarter mile and traps 110. If it still limits at 115 it should trap 113-114. Could mean dropping a tenth, but won't be a huge difference. Odds are it'll still bounce off the limiter.

If they made a drag mode that bumped the limiter up and kept full power, I fully believe my truck would trap around 123-125 mph based on the 1/8 mile time.
Ah, I see what you're saying, now.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer

Looking at random online calculators like https://www.speedmaster79.com/tools/14et-mph trapping at 113 vs 110 knocks off .3 time, so it could mean a decent amount if does actually trap at 113-114. Will be curious to see if someone takes it back to the track after they get the update.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Impact on limiter will depend on whether that was implemented based on measured or indicated speeds.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Impact on limiter will depend on whether that was implemented based on measured or indicated speeds.
If we don't end up going camping next weekend and the update comes this week, I'll go up to the strip on Saturday for test and tune if the weather is good.

Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Range as State of Charge is huge! Been looking forward to that one for a while. Really like the Camping mode addition as well! Hope I can get this update next week when I get back from a trip this weekend!
I have folks express interest i this, but as a new EV owner I don't understand why. Care to offer your thoughts?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I have folks express interest i this, but as a new EV owner I don't understand why. Care to offer your thoughts?
Well it is an ‘exact’ quantifiable figure vs a guess of your range in your current specific drive mode. Thats my thought at least.

Very much looking forward to camp mode, hopefully before next weekend ;). The auto leveling is awesome but the always on 12V is an game changer for running a fridge.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Well it is an ‘exact’ quantifiable figure vs a guess of your range in your current specific drive mode. Thats my thought at least.

Very much looking forward to camp mode, hopefully before next weekend ;). The auto leveling is awesome but the always on 12V is an game changer for running a fridge.
I can see % being an exact number, but it doesn't mean much without context, so that's what gets me confused. 25% going up Mt. Hood is much different then 25% going down.

Agree on 12V being great for the fridge except my fridge didn't fit anywhere except the bed (and the back seat). The lack of 12v in the bed is a bummer.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I can see % being an exact number, but it doesn't mean much without context, so that's what gets me confused. 25% going up Mt. Hood is much different then 25% going down.

Agree on 12V being great for the fridge except my fridge didn't fit anywhere except the bed (and the back seat). The lack of 12v in the bed is a bummer.
In the end it is the same as an ICE car/truck, over time you get a good idea where a half or 3/4 of a tank will get you in your vehicle, so the context comes from experience. I mean a gas truck will use more fuel climbing up Mt Hood as well and not many ICE vehicles display fuel as miles of range available after all.

Both metrics definitely have utility though in any vehicle, just prefer to be able to see SOC without digging into the computer menus.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

So this latest OTA was for beta testers and not for the general Rivian population. Excellent!
Sponsored