We are way too obsessed with range

BoisVert

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A truck
Why are we so obsessed with Range? Unless you drive 100+ miles per day, I see no concern on a 260-320+ mi battery pack even with cold weather losses. That still leaves 150-200 miles of range which is plenty.

Driving a vehicle like this at max 65mph, not warming the cabin enough because of battery range, charging only on certain times due to battery degradation seems to me like way too much range anxiety.

Drive the truck at the speeds you want , heat up the cabin to what makes you comfortable, charge when needed and enjoy your Rivian.

Worrying so much about range and battery degradation takes the fun out of this. Enjoy in good health.
Sponsored

a76marine

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Jeep J10 (Pickup Truck) & 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analytics and Intelligence
Clubs

That's how I treat my Mustang Mach E now. I commute around 40 miles per day and never worry about range unless I am going on a road trip (couple times per year). Even road trips are still enjoyable since my family and I don't mind a rest every 3 hours anyways.

hiimisaac

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yep. I'm in an ID.4 right now which averages around 240-250 miles at full. But I'm also not heavy on the pedal so my guess-o-meter reads 240 at 80% charge.

I plug in once every 4-5 days. It's not that I have to. I have a charger in my garage. I just don't need to. It's more than enough to run errands and get to and from work and not worry about anything.

I have a Standard Pack configured. LFP with 100% nets the same mileage as a Large Pack with 75/80%. And I don't ever have to baby the battery. I don't have to tell my wife to only charge to 75% or whatever.

Just easier, degradation is gonna be far less severe, and it gives max power towards the low end of the pack.

I'm incredibly bullish on LFP and I think the only reason to get the Large/Max pack is for the folks who are going to overland/offroad/tow (which I believe... with it being a truck, there will be quite a few of these here).

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Why are we so obsessed with Range? Unless you drive 100+ miles per day, I see no concern on a 260-320+ mi battery pack even with cold weather losses. That still leaves 150-200 miles of range which is plenty.

Driving a vehicle like this at max 65mph, not warming the cabin enough because of battery range, charging only on certain times due to battery degradation seems to me like way too much range anxiety.

Drive the truck at the speeds you want , heat up the cabin to what makes you comfortable, charge when needed and enjoy your Rivian.

Worrying so much about range and battery degradation takes the fun out of this. Enjoy in good health.
Probably because a lot of people use their vehicle for occasional long distance trips? On Monday we drove ~220 miles from a DCFC to home without stopping again. Likely won't be able to make that trip in deep winter while still doing 10 mph over the speed limit. The Max pack truck would have enabled us to avoid going out of our way for a charge on the ~300 mile trip, but with all the stuff on my truck and the headwind we had on Monday, it was necessary to make a quick detour to top up.

Sponsored

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
For those of us that started 10 years ago with a Nissan Leaf, 80 miles of range, and no charging infrastructure, the EVs today seem way beyond what most people need. But I completely acknowledge range anxiety exists and people new to EVs will be sold on the idea of more range is necessary.

OP
OP
BoisVert

BoisVert

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A truck
Probably because a lot of people use their vehicle for occasional long distance trips? On Monday we drove ~220 miles from a DCFC to home without stopping again. Likely won't be able to make that trip in deep winter while still doing 10 mph over the speed limit. The Max pack truck would have enabled us to avoid going out of our way for a charge on the ~300 mile trip, but with all the stuff on my truck and the headwind we had on Monday, it was necessary to make a quick detour to top up.
This is true but also the reason why the Rivian is not targeted as our road trip vehicle.
Too much uncertainty with EVs and Long Trips (500+ miles)

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
For me it’s not being “obsessed with range“. It’s just the fact that distances here are considerable, places I like to go do not have much if any charging infrastructure along the way there….
500 miles is “half a day’s drive”.

and this nonsense(which will be back in just a few months) really hurts range in any vehicle:
Rivian R1T R1S We are way too obsessed with range 1660745200076

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This is true but also the reason why the Rivian is not targeted as our road trip vehicle.
Too much uncertainty with EVs and Long Trips (500+ miles)
"Why are people obsessed with range when I plan on using a different vehicle for one of their use cases?" Strange argument to make. I don't want to own another vehicle for road trips, especially when I have my Rivian configured with a bunch of equipment that enables them.

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
I'm aware of range, but it's not something I worry about. I'm more aware in the R1T vs my Model X but that's more of me not knowing where the DC fast chargers are and if I'm going to run into problems.

The Tesla system has already proved itself to me with routing to SC if needed that I do not even think about it. Once I do a long road trip in my R1T I'm sure that will go away as well. It's a vehicle, like OP said, warm / cool it to what you like, drive at the speeds you want to, enjoy your purchase at 80k I'm pretty sure you worked hard to earn it.

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We plan to tow our 7,400# Airstream Travel Trailer with our R1T. Range and recharging are significant issues for us.

Brian

OP
OP
BoisVert

BoisVert

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A truck
For those of us that started 10 years ago with a Nissan Leaf, 80 miles of range, and no charging infrastructure, the EVs today seem way beyond what most people need. But I completely acknowledge range anxiety exists and people new to EVs will be sold on the idea of more range is necessary.
My first EV was a BMW i3 with 80 miles range. I would get home with 10-20 miles every day. Charge every day.

Never worried about driving too fast, or A/C too cold, or radio too loud or battery degradation.

This was 8 years ago.

OP
OP
BoisVert

BoisVert

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A truck
For me it’s not being “obsessed with range“. It’s just the fact that distances here are considerable, places I like to go do not have much if any charging infrastructure along the way there….
500 miles is “half a day’s drive”.

and this nonsense(which will be back in just a few months) really hurts range in any vehicle:
1660745200076.jpeg
is the Rivian your primary vehicle?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Please do not show that garbage around here... nothing should EVER be -XX... C or F! I would take 65-95 year round every day and twice on Sunday, snow and cold can go to hell. :p
Believe me, the last thing I want to think about in august is winter 🤗
Sponsored