Sponsored

Audio system specifics? Amplifier, subwoofer, etc?

smiesguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Escalade
Occupation
Planner
FWIW, I went from the “premium” B&O sound system in an Audi to the Model Y (which I believe uses essentially the same system as the previous premium audio in the model 3). No name listed anywhere, and I’m not sure if they’re using someone else’s components or not, but the speakers in the Model Y are significantly better than the B&O system was. I’m hoping whatever Rivian has will be close.
Tesla poached some B&O engineers a few years back to go vertical with their speakers for the 3/Y. Reason they sound so great.
Sponsored

Dr. Byrd

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2001 Mustang GT convertible
Occupation
Professor, consultant, farmer
I‘m similarly somewhere between an enthusiast and an audiophile and I would be perfectly happy if the same audio engineering team responsible for the Amazon Echo devices worked on the Rivian system. They are pretty impressive - especially the ”standard“ Echo and the Echo Studio. The Echo Dots, not so much, but they had less to work with there. I would not be happy, however, if they let the Fire tablet UI/UX team work on the Rivian... bleargh.

Sponsored

SuperFan86

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I‘m similarly somewhere between an enthusiast and an audiophile and I would be perfectly happy if the same audio engineering team responsible for the Amazon Echo devices worked on the Rivian system. They are pretty impressive - especially the ”standard“ Echo and the Echo Studio. The Echo Dots, not so much, but they had less to work with there. I would not be happy, however, if they let the Fire tablet UI/UX team work on the Rivian... bleargh.

The Echo Show sounds fantastic. We replaced our Sonos with them and are very happy. I think the Sonos are technically more precise, but we enjoy the room filling sound that the Amazon product delivers.

I'd be happy with Amazon as a partner in this area.

Ginny

First Name
Ginny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 escalade ext, 2019 corvette
Occupation
retired
The Echo Show sounds fantastic. We replaced our Sonos with them and are very happy. I think the Sonos are technically more precise, but we enjoy the room filling sound that the Amazon product delivers.

I'd be happy with Amazon as a partner in this area.
I want satellite radio!

Dr. Byrd

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2001 Mustang GT convertible
Occupation
Professor, consultant, farmer
I want satellite radio!
For what it’s worth, the shark’s fin antenna on top of the cab in the newest pictures sure looks like a satellite radio antenna. I suppose it could be a dedicated LTE antenna, but I haven’t seen that elsewhere. That argues for both SiriusXM and streaming audio being available. Honestly, I can’t really see why they wouldn’t off both - more possible revenue streams and essentially zero marginal hardware cost.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Yeah, I'm "old school" in that I've purchased so much music over the years that I have an extensive offline collection. Used to have huge CD books that I also ripped to .mp3 many years ago. Now I'll still buy songs or albums I want instead of paying monthly subscriptions.
You're telling us that you're old? That's OK. I'm 1 1/2 years away from retirement and I still buy CDs of music I like.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

You're telling us that you're old? That's OK. I'm 1 1/2 years away from retirement and I still buy CDs of music I like.
Skyote, we must be about the same age. About the same distance from retirement age (although I'll still work - I like what I'm doing) and I still have have all my old vinyl, CDs, and even some worn out cassttes. Can't seem to part with any of them. Too many memories and still fun to play on equipment much older than RJ.

In a recent conversation with the Engagement Center about other items, we had a brief conversation about the sound system. I seem to remember some fairly high number of speakers with the upgraded 360 system. While I can't recall the total number, I do remember hearing there will be four more speakers in the R1S than the R1T. Also, the R1T will have two subwoofers under the back seats and I think they said there will only be one larger unit in the R1S.

They wouldn't confirm the manufacturer of the system, but they did confirm no Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. Also, no firm answer on XM/Sirius, but I got the impression it's not in the cards.

They said their system will be great, sound awesome, and it'll be a Rivian-specific, in-house design. As such, I remember hearing there are compatability issues with these other, familiar systems, and they went with a clean sheet approach so as to have total control over it, which makes sense to me. The rep also said not to worry, the total experience will be great. While I also noticed the shark fin on top and hoped it meant satellite radio, I'm guessing what we'll get is going to be very, very nice. It wouldn't make any sense to under-deliver on the sound system in cutting edge vehicles like these.

I wish I had better recall of these details, but it wasn't the main reason for calling. Now, this thread has my curiosity up. Hopefully, we'll all learn much more very soon.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Skyote, we must be about the same age. About the same distance from retirement age (although I'll still work - I like what I'm doing) and I still have have all my old vinyl, CDs, and even some worn out cassttes. Can't seem to part with any of them. Too many memories and still fun to play on equipment much older than RJ.

In a recent conversation with the Engagement Center about other items, we had a brief conversation about the sound system. I seem to remember some fairly high number of speakers with the upgraded 360 system. While I can't recall the total number, I do remember hearing there will be four more speakers in the R1S than the R1T. Also, the R1T will have two subwoofers under the back seats and I think they said there will only be one larger unit in the R1S.

They wouldn't confirm the manufacturer of the system, but they did confirm no Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. Also, no firm answer on XM/Sirius, but I got the impression it's not in the cards.

They said their system will be great, sound awesome, and it'll be a Rivian-specific, in-house design. As such, I remember hearing there are compatability issues with these other, familiar systems, and they went with a clean sheet approach so as to have total control over it, which makes sense to me. The rep also said not to worry, the total experience will be great. While I also noticed the shark fin on top and hoped it meant satellite radio, I'm guessing what we'll get is going to be very, very nice. It wouldn't make any sense to under-deliver on the sound system in cutting edge vehicles like these.

I wish I had better recall of these details, but it wasn't the main reason for calling. Now, this thread has my curiosity up. Hopefully, we'll all learn much more very soon.
Manufacturer of the system is Meridian Audio, there's some additional details & links in this thread:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-speaker-lantern-details-video.945/post-17224

JethTran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Hi.... I utilized a nonexclusive line out converter to take advantage of the back speaker wires. I tapped at the columns between the entryways and rushed to under the rearward sitting arrangements. The RCA links go to a Hifonics ZRX1216.10 mounted under the driver seat. Controlling two JL 10W1v3-4 subs under the back seat. Entryway speakers supplanted with MB Quart Q arrangement. Trusting that the outfit will come out so I can supplant the head unit.

https://www.7pcb.com/
Sponsored

Last edited: