2018 Tesla 3 LR Dual | 2022 R1T Quad
OP
OP

RivianNE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
With Tesla’s timelines, I am guessing it will be more next year. Never less a good news for everyone because I am not reassured with the reviews and comments I have been seeing about non-Tesla fast charging network.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

With Tesla’s timelines, I am guessing it will be more next year. Never less a good news for everyone because I am not reassured with the reviews and comments I have been seeing about non-Tesla fast charging network.
Even if it takes a few years....progress.

wreighven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition 4x4
Clubs

It will be very interesting to see how much (if any) things get integrated. For instance, on my Model Y I can see how many free stalls are available at a SuperCharger, and on my route it tells me how long to charge, etc. Would be really cool if you can set up a Tesla account and get that kind of info...

IRun

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Model 3
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

My concern is what adapter are we going to need? The go to right now is the Lectron that can handle 48AMPs which runs $160. How many amps will the adapter for DCFC need to handle and how much is that going to cost us?

Sponsored

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
The proof will be in how it is implemented...
Is it an adapter I have to buy: Sign me up and I'll pay the price to buy the adapter today;
Is it a re-work of the SC stations ie adding a cable with a CCS plug: I'll gladly use their equipment but think that will take a long time to retrofit the some 1,407 locations in just the US.

OP
OP

RivianNE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My concern is what adapter are we going to need? The go to right now is the Lectron that can handle 48AMPs which runs $160. How many amps will the adapter for DCFC need to handle and how much is that going to cost us?
Ideally it will be like Europe where they retrofitted the chargers with a CCS in addition to the Tesla one.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Well there are CCS to Tesla adapters that run $450 and take up to 250kW...so I'd gladly pay that to use the SC network since I paid $150 just to use my Tesla L2 charger.

Point of clarification: the adapter of which I speak is opposite of what we need. It's an adapter that lets Tesla cars use CCS FCs. We need an adapter that'll connect a SuperCharger FC to a CCS car. I have not seen those yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP

RivianNE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The proof will be in how it is implemented...
Is it an adapter I have to buy: Sign me up and I'll pay the price to buy the adapter today;
Is it a re-work of the SC stations ie adding a cable with a CCS plug: I'll gladly use their equipment but think that will take a long time to retrofit the some 1,407 locations in just the US.
True! I didn’t think about that. Retrofitting will take time.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Definitely good news for some remote locations. For what it’s worth I have gone on multiple extended road trips in my R1T and I have had no trouble with charging infrastructure, including relying on obscure local DC ‘fast’ chargers.

So don’t believe all the hype, non Tesla charging infrastructure is fine where it exists and only going to get better.

Sponsored

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
My guess is Tesla will only add CCS compatibility to new Super Charger sites over the next couple of years. This is because the new federal funding for chargers restricts the use of a proprietary plug. Tesla will add CCS compatibility to get around this requirement. So I wouldn't get my hopes up that tons of Super Chargers will suddenly be open to all EVs.

Non-Tesla DC fast chargers will probably add new capacity faster than Tesla will add CCS capacity.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Ideally it will be like Europe where they retrofitted the chargers with a CCS in addition to the Tesla one.
It's interesting because I watched an outofspec video on this last night and Kyle was in Austria using the tesla network. Like you mentioned the charger was retrofitted with a ccs cable as well, but as they pointed out, tesla cables tend to be quite short, which is fine for rivian and some other vehicles due to their port location, but others like the lightning, etron etc would find them mostly unusable. Still, a win for all as it gives people more options, even at a bit of a premium.

coshesey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Director Home Services
It's interesting because I watched an outofspec video on this last night and Kyle was in Austria using the tesla network. Like you mentioned the charger was retrofitted with a ccs cable as well, but as they pointed out, tesla cables tend to be quite short, which is fine for rivian and some other vehicles due to their port location, but others like the lightning, etron etc would find them mostly unusable. Still, a win for all as it gives people more options, even at a bit of a premium.

I wonder about the cable and the side of the vehicle that some Tesla SC stations are set up for. In Baker CA the stations are set up a pull thru for 2 vehicles with the cable set up for the right left rear of the vehicle. A Rivian would need to pull in the opposite way an potentially block a stall for a much longer charge than a Tesla would need.

For the parking style SC, a Rivian would park on the opposite side of the charger an potentially keep 1 Tesla from backing in to use the plug intended for that backed in Tesla.

PK

ccmun

First Name
Silva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T, KTM 1290
Occupation
Tech Consulting
Definitely good news for some remote locations. For what it’s worth I have gone on multiple extended road trips in my R1T and I have had no trouble with charging infrastructure, including relying on obscure local DC ‘fast’ chargers.

So don’t believe all the hype, non Tesla charging infrastructure is fine where it exists and only going to get better.
You were lucky, It’s not hype. I just took a 1,500 round trip from South Florida to Atlanta over the July 4th weekend. I primarily used EA chargers and it was a nightmare. Every single EA charging station had at least 25% or 30% of their chargers unavailable. On my way up north, I stopped in Orlando, and 2 out of the six chargers were down. On the way back, a few days later, I stopped at the same station and 5 or the 6 chargers were down. I called up EA and was told the chargers could not be reset, and will be unavailable for two weeks for ”upgrades.” This was the July 4th weekend! The connection process was mostly finicky for me, and on two occasions, I got free charging. Florida Power and Light has some charging stations on the Florida Turnpike, but the R1T would not precondition for those. Not sure why. Yes, things will get better, but its pretty dismal right now in my neck of the woods.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
You were lucky, It’s not hype. I just took a 1,500 round trip from South Florida to Atlanta over the July 4th weekend. I primarily used EA chargers and it was a nightmare. Every single EA charging station had at least 25% or 30% of their chargers unavailable. On my way up north, I stopped in Orlando, and 2 out of the six chargers were down. On the way back, a few days later, I stopped at the same station and 5 or the 6 chargers were down. I called up EA and was told the chargers could not be reset, and will be unavailable for two weeks for ”upgrades.” This was the July 4th weekend! The connection process was mostly finicky for me, and on two occasions, I got free charging. Florida Power and Light has some charging stations on the Florida Turnpike, but the R1T would not precondition for those. Not sure why. Yes, things will get better, but its pretty dismal right now in my neck of the woods.
EVGo seems to be the better network, when it's available I would use that.
Sponsored