Sponsored

R1S Cargo Capacity

Rabidsnipe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Canyon
In an effort to determine whether the R1S would work for me and my family on camping trips, I reached out to customer support with some specific questions regarding capacity information. Here is what I found out:

Interior cargo volume behind 3rd row (this information I have already seen published): 499 L = 17.6 ft^3
Interior cargo volume behind 2nd row (3rd row folded, this information was new to me): 1,323 L = 46.7 ft^3
Interior cargo volume behind 1st row (2nd and 3rd row folded): 2,499 L = 88.25 ft^3

Cargo floor length behind 3rd row: 21"
Cargo floor length behind 2nd row: 51"
Maximum cargo width behind 2nd and 2rd row: 51"
Maximum cargo width behind 1st row: 58"
Minimum cargo width: 42"

Currently offering an optional compact spare under the rear cargo area. Currently they do not have an option for an externally mounted spare.

Right now I'm using a 49.9 ft^3 bed with tonneau cover plus a 14 ft^3 roof box on top of bed on our dispersed camping trips. While this means I'm giving up 5.5 ft^3 if I don't have the roof box on the R1S, it does mean I'm in the ballpark of making it fit. Now to decide whether waiting for the 400 mile range battery is worth the wait.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
You didn't mention, are you considering the volume of the frunk in your storage comparison?

OP
OP

Rabidsnipe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Canyon
You didn't mention, are you considering the volume of the frunk in your storage comparison?
I am. In the truck I’m currently using ~50 ft in the bed and 14 ft in the box. In an R1S I would have 46.7 + 11.7 = 58.4. So about 5.5 short without using the box and assuming a compact spare.

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
I am. In the truck I’m currently using ~50 ft in the bed and 14 ft in the box. In an R1S I would have 46.7 + 11.7 = 58.4. So about 5.5 short without using the box and assuming a compact spare.
Not sure if your family will require use of the entire 2nd row but i believe the seats will fold in some 60/40 fashion. This works well for extra "stuff" in my families current SUV

OP
OP

Rabidsnipe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Canyon
Not sure if your family will require use of the entire 2nd row but i believe the seats will fold in some 60/40 fashion. This works well for extra "stuff" in my families current SUV
I actually thought about that for ski trips as we are a family of four. If I ended up going with the R1S I would really like to avoid putting a roof box up top because of the hit to range. That is one advantage to the R1T that I see is that there presumably isn't as much of a range hit for carrying stuff on top of the bed.

Sponsored

Rivianmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d, Toyota 4Runner
Storage in rear under floor without spare is 5 cuft

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
One of the things I'm trying to understand is the minimum height of 28" with the 3rd-row seats folded down. That seems short for a full-size SUV. From pictures taken at the San Francisco event (I think), one can see the cargo space with the 3rd row seats folded, and that height seems more than 28", though of course it's hard to measure from a picture without fiducials to back out an actual measurement.

Does 28" min height with 3rd row seats folded also seem short to anyone else?

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
One of the things I'm trying to understand is the minimum height of 28" with the 3rd-row seats folded down. That seems short for a full-size SUV. From pictures taken at the San Francisco event (I think), one can see the cargo space with the 3rd row seats folded, and that height seems more than 28", though of course it's hard to measure from a picture without fiducials to back out an actual measurement.

Does 28" min height with 3rd row seats folded also seem short to anyone else?
28" minimum seems reasonable.

Out of curiousity, I just went and measured the back of my SUV, which currently has the rear seats out. The nominal height for most of the rear area was around 40", but I could find a number of spots along the edges where I could measure around 30". The third row vents are overhead, and that cut in a bit, and the sides slope down, and where the sides sloped down over the wheel humps was worst case.

I think the problem is you are looking at a minimum height, and you don't know what feature is causing that particular spot to be a minimum. If the folded seat back itself was 28" from the roof, that wouldn't be great. My third row seats, folded up and sitting on a shelf in my garage, are about 8" high. That would drop my 40" to 32", and in the area under the vent, down to maybe 28" or so.

It's probably worth noting that my rear seats fold up and to the side, and remove with a single lever, they are not intended to fold down into the floor. I'd expect a number of modern SUVs to be a bit more space efficient.

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
Out of curiousity, I just went and measured the back of my SUV, which currently has the rear seats out. The nominal height for most of the rear area was around 40", but I could find a number of spots along the edges where I could measure around 30". The third row vents are overhead, and that cut in a bit, and the sides slope down, and where the sides sloped down over the wheel humps was worst case.

I think the problem is you are looking at a minimum height, and you don't know what feature is causing that particular spot to be a minimum. If the folded seat back itself was 28" from the roof, that wouldn't be great. My third row seats, folded up and sitting on a shelf in my garage, are about 8" high. That would drop my 40" to 32", and in the area under the vent, down to maybe 28" or so.
Thanks for the real-life comparison. Thinking about it in terms of the minimum possible height makes the 28" more reasonable (although I still am a little surprised). I wonder what the typical height is for the majority of the width of the 3rd row seats.

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
Kia Telluride has 21 cubic feet of cargo space behind its third row, 46 cubic feet with these seats folded, and 87 cubic feet with all rear seats folded.

Telluride R1S
behind 3rd 21 17
3rd flat 46 46.7
all flat 87 88.25

Sponsored

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Here’s an option for more space to consider. Pak Mule’s hitch basket fits the R1T’s 2-inch receiver, is solid aluminum and practically bombproof. This is not the cheapie you buy at Harbor Freight - this is solidly built and is priced that way. I threw in for one because they had a special that you got their wall storage hanger free with a basket purchase and saved $100. Great way to haul coolers, firewood, bags or what have you. Pakmule.com.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Capacity 83B58935-2607-4AFA-B5B2-826267F63459

dmc94

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - GW/FE/20"
Clubs

This is an interesting thread. The measurements I got from Rivian chat came out to:

Behind 3rd row: 21 cu. ft.
Behind 2nd row: 55.7 cu. ft.
Behind 1st row: 92 cu. ft.

That seemed really generous comparing it to a Telluride or 2021 Grand Cherokee L.

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
Here’s an option for more space to consider. Pak Mule’s hitch basket fits the R1T’s 2-inch receiver, is solid aluminum and practically bombproof. This is not the cheapie you buy at Harbor Freight - this is solidly built and is priced that way. I threw in for one because they had a special that you got their wall storage hanger free with a basket purchase and saved $100. Great way to haul coolers, firewood, bags or what have you. Pakmule.com.

83B58935-2607-4AFA-B5B2-826267F63459.png

My only caveat to this is Driver+. I know that Teslas don't always play nice when trying to use Autopilot with an obstruction back there. You may have to "drive dumb" if you're using a hitch basket.

OP
OP

Rabidsnipe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Canyon
This is an interesting thread. The measurements I got from Rivian chat came out to:

Behind 3rd row: 21 cu. ft.
Behind 2nd row: 55.7 cu. ft.
Behind 1st row: 92 cu. ft.

That seemed really generous comparing it to a Telluride or 2021 Grand Cherokee L.
Are those the volumes they gave you or did you calculate those based on provided dimensions. The volume data I gave originally came straight from Rivian and was not my calculation.

dmc94

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - GW/FE/20"
Clubs

Are those the volumes they gave you or did you calculate those based on provided dimensions. The volume data I gave originally came straight from Rivian and was not my calculation.
Those were based on the inches they gave me. Just converted into square feet. I think more realistically it’s like 18 behind the third row, 54 second, and 89 first. Honestly it looks and measures almost identical to the Telluride. Im worried most about legroom in the third row, but RJ said he fits in the third row comfortably and is 6’1”
Sponsored