First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
The R1T will be my 2nd EV, the 1st being the Kia Niro EV. While I am generally pleased with the Kia, there is a big sore spot: over-the-air access. For the 1st year of ownership, all over-the-air services were free. After that, just 911 connect, maintenance reminder, remote charge controls (start/stop/levels). This is free for 5 years. I've attached a .pdf showing the missing services and the cost for getting them. Seems a bit much...

Wondering what services will be available from Rivian, which ones will be free, which ones will be a subscription, and what subscription costs might be.

Insights appreciated.
Sponsored

Attachments

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Yes Tesla supplies lots of silly s**t that we won't get to enjoy with our run of the mill vehicles.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Wow, those quite a bit of an upsell! Up to $30/month! They're clearly looking to make that a source of significant income. I certainly wouldn't pay that much for what little it offers.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Wondering what services will be available from Rivian, which ones will be free, which ones will be a subscription, and what subscription costs might be.
I always assume that Rivian's offerings will be similar but not necessarily identical to what Tesla offers largely because I have no other standard of comparison.

Tesla offers the whole shooting match free for the first year. Thereafter "Premium Connectiity" is $9.99/mo. If you don't take this I think all you lose is real time traffic, satellite photos and in-car streaming (which I never use as I subscribe to XM which, BTW, you can't do in all models). In essence I am paying $120 a year for the traffic advisories but I have come to like the satellite photos too. In the last year they have improved greatly now showing a lot of labeling details they didn't until recently.

Rivian R1T R1S Over the air access e-q-y5dwqacu3br-1536x1023

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Perhaps it isn't clear but all of the Telsa OTA comes through the AT&T cell phone network unless you are at home or at a Tesla store/service center where the connection is through WiFi. Someone has to pay for the bandwidth. In the first year that's Elon Musk. Subsequent to that Tesla wants the driver to pay for the high bandwidth stuff i.e. streaming and images. It doesn't matter whose OS you are using or where the data comes from. It is the transport that Tesla is trying to cover though it is clear they have to pay for the real time traffic data and are passing that cost on as well. I believe Google is the source for both Telsa maps and the satellite photography.

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
Understood that. I'm assuming that all of us already have data plan on their smartphones, so using Google Maps through Android Auto doesn't cost anything extra really.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I guess there are other options through the vehicles web connection and, of course, one can use his cell phone. The satellite images are definitely, IMO, a "nice to have". The traffic advisories are probably more useful. Are they worth $10/mo? That's for the prospective user to decide assuming, of course, that Rivian offers something like at like price.

OP
OP
C.R. Rivian

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
One of my issues with UVO/Kia is that while sitting in the house mere yards from my EV I can not consistently connect. I do not know what cell service Kia uses (have asked) but since cell service is, inevitably, spotty, I hope that the Rivian will have the option to connect to the home wifi network when within range.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
These cars are like your smart phone. They will always try to connect through WiFi and only use cellular service when they can't.

Sponsored

OP
OP
C.R. Rivian

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
These cars are like your smart phone. They will always try to connect through WiFi and only use cellular service when they can't.
The Kia doesn't do that so I would not count on it. There needs to be a way to authorize the car to connect to a specific ssid such as the one used at the driver's home.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
The Kia doesn't do that
It doesn't? No wonder they charge so much for OTA!

..so I would not count on it.
I am counting on it as Tesla does it and I just can't picture Rivian going to market with such a glaring black eye.

There needs to be a way to authorize the car to connect to a specific ssid such as the one used at the driver's home.
As I said, it works as does your smart phone. It will come pre-programmed with the SSIDs and passwords of the Rivian service centres (whatever, in fact, those turn out to be) and the user will program it with his home(s) WiFi SSID(s) and password(s). Before connecting to the cellular network it will scan for SSIDs on its list.

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
My wife's 2019 Subaru Ascent connects to our home Wifi. So I see no reason why Rivian vehicles will not.

srwaxalot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
WXR. KIA Niro plugin
The Kia doesn't do that so I would not count on it. There needs to be a way to authorize the car to connect to a specific ssid such as the one used at the driver's home.
I have a Kia Niro plugin hybrid. With the mid level radio I have the data is provided by XM says so in the documentation. XM data network is slow and only one way. If I park under the tree I front of my house my XM cuts out and I can’t use the app to control the car. If I move it 10 feet up or down my street both work. I wish it had WiFi or cellular data.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I believe Google is the source for both Telsa maps and the satellite photography.
Not so on the imagery. Several sources are listed in tiny print at the bottom of the screen. Google is not one of them.
Sponsored