Software and Rivian App wishlist

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Thought I'd create a thread focused on the Software and app features that we would like to see on Rivian. If there is already a thread on this I apologize.

Prior to becoming a Rivian preorder I was pretty close to buying a Tesla model 3. The features I was really impressed with were the Sentry mode, Dog mode and video download (dash cam feature). If Rivian could get Summon to work smoothly that would also be nice. Yes, the games and quirks are cool too, but the aforementioned are the biggest attractions for me. I'm not sure if Tesla has some sort of IP protections or copyrights for these features, and hopefully if Rivian doesn't have these out from launch they will provide them via an OTA update.

What else does everyone want to see on the software/App side?
Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'd request features similar to Tesla:

- Preheat/Cool/defrost and seat heating with a choice to set time to activate/end
- Valet mode
- Speed limit mode
- Honk/Flash
- Charging locations
- Summon
- Remote window operation (Vent)
- Keyless (using phone or card)

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
The app can be one button that opens/closes your charge port door and ill be happy.

Sponsored

jdhiker23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Rivian teased the idea of having the truck/suv drop you off and then meet you at the other end of a trail head. I haven't heard anything about that in a while, so I'm guessing reality has set in around how difficult it would be to actually implement both from a technology and legal perspective, but if we are dreaming, here are a few variants if you are traveling on a route that the Rivian could also travel...
  • "Follow Me" mode where you can hop on a bike or head out for a run and the Rivian follows at a close but safe distance using both its cameras and your phone's GPS location. Keeps other drivers in cars from flying by and running you off the road, and could even take video of the ride or run like a drone.
  • "Rescue Me" mode, related to above but more of a summon mode for logging roads: it stays put and tracks your phone's location and if you take a spill, blow a tire, (or just get tired) and stop moving for too long it will come get you at your last known location (could be configurable to also call for help before it heads out in search of you).
Other camping/hiking/exploring ideas:
  • "Bear Repellent" mode: once you are a set distance away from the truck, it uses the 360 cameras to sound the horn and flash the lights as soon as a large animal approaches (hopefully avoiding paint damage or worse from curious bears checking for coolers or food in the truck). Automatically disarms when you get close to the truck again, so you don't annoy other campers too much.
  • "Ready When You Are" mode, tracks your phone's progress on a loop or back and out trip (on foot, bike, ATV, snowmobile, etc) to anticipate when you will arrive back at the truck and cools or warms the cabin just in time for your return.
  • "Lights Out/Alarm Clock" mode, turns on or off the power outlets, light bar, or bluetooth speaker on demand or at a pre-scheduled time
  • "Snow Blower" mode, uses the built in compressor and an attachment (not quite sure what it would look like) that periodically blows compressed air across the windshield to clear it when snow fall is detected so you have less scraping to do in the morning.
  • "Trail Camera" mode, monitors a specific portion of the forward looking camera field of view and sends a picture to your phone when motion is detected in that area.
City dweller ideas:
  • If This Then That integration to trigger other automated actions based on the Rivian's location, charge state, alarm/camera motion, or other trigger information.
  • 2-deep Parking: automatically pull out of and then back into a driveway/parking spot to allow another car to park behind (e.g. pull into or out of a garage) without having to get up and move the car yourself.
  • Street Cleaning/Parking Time Limit: automatically move the car to a different side of the street or a different parking spot, or just circle the block for a period of time either on demand or at a scheduled time.
Taken from other threads here (not my ideas, but I like them):
  • Ability to raise, lower and level on command.
  • Tire lift to raise a single tire off the ground for a change it without needing a jack (raise shocks to max height, place blocking under body corner closest to flat, then lower onto blocking and lower flat tire shock to minimum).

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Developer APIs to develop our own apps to add to the infotainment.

3D scanner + textures via all those radars and cameras.

And yes, it's been mentioned but auto-leveling via the shocks for rooftop tents would be awesome.

Ability to open whatever door, hatch, frunk, panel you're closest to by uttering a Napoleon Dynamite "Guhhhhhh!"

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Dog mode (Temperature control)
Baby Check (weight of a certain amount with a car seat attached warns you and keeps temperature at a reasonable level)
preheating/cooling battery based in your daily routines or scheduled by you
make the phone your key if you choose
Change sound effects for low speed operation (yellow truck needs bumblebee sounds IMO)

Lots of other cool ideas above this post already

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I really hope there will be an API and that something like TeslaFi and/or Stats will be developed by some third parties. And, it goes without saying, Emissions Testing.

Sponsored

damonator5000

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Assuming the vehicle uses HomeLink for garage door opening, I’d like to be able to use the app to trigger a stored homelink (ability to select from all doors stored on the car) and use the car’s cameras to confirm garage door is open or closed.

Tesla model 3 allows triggering homelink from the app, but only the default garage door, not selecting from the list of those stored in the car. And Tesla doesn’t let you access the cameras from the app.

Hexijen

First Name
Caley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Glacier/Ocean Coast, 20AT, Offroad
Clubs

Aventure journal where i can make video and audio entries while on an offroad trail, exploring a new city, or an extended road trip. Entries can be geotagged for reference later. I dont know where all the cameras point but id like to be able to record footage if they can get good shots of the road. Being able to plug a dashcam into a usb outlet and record that way would be good too.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Driver Profiles (3+) paired to phone as key or via face recognition. Easy entry and exit settings.

Summon forward and back feature at the very least.

Screen clean mode.

Seats sync feature. Set's passenger seat to same as driver position when desired.

Voice controls for camera switching in vehicle.

Remote vehicle camera access from your phone to see what your Rivian sees while parked.

Sentry mode knock off.

Steering wheel and seat heat/vent activation with climate pre-conditioning.

Good audio equalizer with specific speaker loudness adjustment, not just front back and side to side fade.

Speed activated driving suspension adjustment settings.

Multiple steering sensitivity mode settings (at least three).

Entry/exit suspension settings.

Easy waypoint settings for trip planning and or ability to link locations in a series from your favorites.

R.J. based voice interface... When your car talks to you it sounds like R.J. (kidding).

Entire library of Rivian short films all easy to access in vehicle. Like a Rivian greatest hits collection.

Customized driver cluster and main UI. Wallpapers, themes, layouts, etc.

Ambient lighting (I know this is hardware).

Color matched visualization of your vehicle with in vehicle display. I want the Rivian I see in my car to be my car.

Birds eye view vehicle navigation setting and preferably a satellite version that is also 3D capable.

Cool tank turn animation or visual effects when engaged.

Camp mode with special Rivian ambient nature sounds (ocean waves, forest, waterfall, crackling fire, etc).

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Assuming the vehicle uses HomeLink for garage door opening, I’d like to be able to use the app to trigger a stored homelink (ability to select from all doors stored on the car) and use the car’s cameras to confirm garage door is open or closed.

Tesla model 3 allows triggering homelink from the app, but only the default garage door, not selecting from the list of those stored in the car. And Tesla doesn’t let you access the cameras from the app.
You can chose any of the 3 you have programmed in manual mode. If in auto mode it opens the one you have programmed for the selected location. The problem I have with it is that you can only program 3 doors. If you have a 3 car garage and a gate that is quite limiting and, i assume, a simple thing to fix.
Sponsored