Sponsored

Wall charger installation at home - suggestions and recommendations? ⚡️⚡️

Bongorivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Has anybody had experience installing a wall charger at home? How was the experience? Is it worthwhile?

I’m in the Houston area and welcome any suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks!
Sponsored

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

I hired an electrician to run the appropriate line from my panel in the basement to my garage.
I couldn’t wait to get the EVSE from Rivian to complete As the trickle charge was taking forever

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Has anybody had experience installing a wall charger at home? How was the experience? Is it worthwhile?
I've installed 4 (none of which was a Rivian - 3 Tesla, one Pulsar). It's no different from any other electrical work. The only nasty part is pulling the low gauge number conductors required to feed the thing. In all but one case I hired an electrician to pull the wire. In the other case I didi it and it was nasty. Use plenty of cable lube.

Worthwhile? Absolutely IMO. You get a neat installation and connecting and disconnecting as you come and go is a snap. The mobile EVSE stays in the car where it belongs ready for an emergency (not that that has happened).

atR1S

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Clubs

I had a rivian charger installed yesterday in my garage. I hired an electrician. They had to use my main panel which is far away from the garage and run the new line through the crawl space, probably a 60-70 foot run. Now I just need to re-organize the garage to fit our 2 cars.

OP
OP
Bongorivian

Bongorivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Many thanks for the insight. I’m definitely going to install one then but will have an electrician do it.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I do have one piece of advice for your consideration. Wall chargers require two hot conductors and a grounding conductor. Thus you can use, e.g. 6/2 cable to wire for one. I always have the electrician pull 6/3 i.e. a cable with the third (neutral) conductor because you never know that at some future time you may want to take the wall charger off and replace it with some other piece of equipment or just a 14-50R receptacle that requires neutral. The marginal cost of that 3rd conductor should be relatively small.

OP
OP
Bongorivian

Bongorivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Thank you so much! I’ll factor that in.

Any idea how much ball park to install if you don’t mind me asking?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Any idea how much ball park to install if you don’t mind me asking?
I'm afraid I don't as In all cases I did some of the work myself. The answer will depend on many factors such as whether your existing service is adequate, whether your existing panel has slots available (if it doesn't but is modern enough that it takes slim breakers you can often make a slot for the required 50 or 60A 2 pole breaker), how far the panel is from where you want the wall charger to be, whether you are doing this in old or new construction and whether you are in a fancy neighborhood or not. I'd expect the range to be $500 to $5000.

Rivian is partnered with some company that does installations. I think it is a pretty simple process to get a quote out of them.

blkfxstc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition
I installed the Rivian wall charger myself, straight forward in my opinion. Very worthwhile, especially if you need to charge often. I’m in the Houston area as well.

evergreenmachine

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS, Dodge 3500
If it helps, I did the install myself; was pretty easy as I have an aux panel in my garage, and had open slots for a 60 Amp breaker.

Used 6/2 MC armored cable (so didn't need to run conduit), and hardest part of the install was stripping the cable!

The Rivian unit uses two T-20 torx security screws (pain in the butt, but they did include a bit, which I promptly lost when I opened the package!) to open the case, and the mounting screws to the wall plate are a bit of a pain to seat.

All in, $250 for parts....$30 for the breaker (had to order on Amazon as my local Home Depot did not have a Siemens breaker, normally $15), $200 for cable (again had to order 50 ft on Amazon as they didn't have ANY 6AWG wire at local Home Depot, and I now have extra so I can do another install when my wife gets her Canoo...if that ever happens), and $20 for wall clamps and cable connector. If I could have bought a 5 ft length of cable which is all I would have required, maybe $75 bucks?

Here are pics of the install, and a pic of the inside of the unit....the install ain't pretty, but it works like a champ at 48 AMP!

Rivian R1T R1S Wall charger installation at home - suggestions and recommendations? ⚡️⚡️ 20220525_121436

Rivian R1T R1S Wall charger installation at home - suggestions and recommendations? ⚡️⚡️ 20220525_110951

Rivian R1T R1S Wall charger installation at home - suggestions and recommendations? ⚡️⚡️ 20220525_110948

Rivian R1T R1S Wall charger installation at home - suggestions and recommendations? ⚡️⚡️ 20220525_110943

Sponsored

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
I installed the Rivian wall charger myself, straight forward in my opinion. Very worthwhile, especially if you need to charge often. I’m in the Houston area as well.
Agreed. Exceptionally simple for anyone who’ve done simple-moderate electric work diy.

OP
OP
Bongorivian

Bongorivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Thank y’all for the great insights.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
If it helps, I did the install myself; was pretty easy as I have an aux panel in my garage, and had open slots for a 60 Amp breaker.

Used 6/2 MC armored cable (so didn't need to run conduit), and hardest part of the install was stripping the cable!

The Rivian unit uses two T-20 torx security screws (pain in the butt, but they did include a bit, which I promptly lost when I opened the package!) to open the case, and the mounting screws to the wall plate are a bit of a pain to seat.

All in, $250 for parts....$30 for the breaker (had to order on Amazon as my local Home Depot did not have a Siemens breaker, normally $15), $200 for cable (again had to order 50 ft on Amazon as they didn't have ANY 6AWG wire at local Home Depot, and I now have extra so I can do another install when my wife gets her Canoo...if that ever happens), and $20 for wall clamps and cable connector. If I could have bought a 5 ft length of cable which is all I would have required, maybe $75 bucks?

Here are pics of the install, and a pic of the inside of the unit....the install ain't pretty, but it works like a champ at 48 AMP!

20220525_121436.jpg

20220525_110951.jpg

20220525_110948.jpg

20220525_110943.jpg
I don’t like the white hot connection. And I’m speaking as someone that was screwing around in an old house and almost fried my butt cuz someone did something similar and I had no idea. Edit: just saw how short your white hot connection is, I guess if someone zaps them self then it’s their own fault.

I got 6/3 MC for ~$3.50/ft from my local electric supply house saved me a bunch over Amazon. To anyone looking at Romex or other cable keep in mind conduit costs are crazy right now so I don’t think there is a wiring option cheaper than MC

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I don’t like the white hot connection.
That's actually a code violation. Code requires that when a wire is visible and the conductor is being used for other than the purpose the wire's insulation color indicates the visible length of the wire must be wrapped in tape of the appropriate color. In this case the white (indicates neutral) wire is visible inside the EVSE enclosure. It is fine to use it for hot but it must be wrapped in red tape. The same must be done at the panel end.
conduit costs are crazy right now so I don’t think there is a wiring option cheaper than MC
Perhaps but conduit just looks so much neater.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
That's actually a code violation. Code requires that when a wire is visible and the conductor is being used for other than the purpose the wire's insulation color indicates the visible length of the wire must be wrapped in tape of the appropriate color. In this case the white (indicates neutral) wire is visible inside the EVSE enclosure. It is fine to use it for hot but it must be wrapped in red tape. The same must be done at the panel end.

Perhaps but conduit just looks so much neater.
Meh. code is optional with DIY btw if we want to be code sticklers then that whip isn’t secured to code either. :) I don’t know what you’re talking about, MC is beautiful
Sponsored