Reservations About My Reservation

loucetios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, Toyota Spyder, Honda CRV
Occupation
Investor
As sit here waiting for Rivian to publish more information about the R1T. Some doubts have crept into my thoughts. Do I want to plop down 70K plus (depending upon options) for a truck I have not even seen in person and reconfigure my garage? I still have so many questions - location of charging stations, service and maintenance, warranty, financing options, insurance cost, options for truck configurations, and possible issues with a new first-run vehicle. I am sure I will have other questions in the future. Does anyone else have these concerns, or is this a case of pandemicitis?
Sponsored

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
As sit here waiting for Rivian to publish more information about the R1T. Some doubts have crept into my thoughts. Do I want to plop down 70K plus (depending upon options) for a truck I have not even seen in person and reconfigure my garage? I still have so many questions - location of charging stations, service and maintenance, warranty, financing options, insurance cost, options for truck configurations, and possible issues with a new first-run vehicle. I am sure I will have other questions in the future. Does anyone else have these concerns, or is this a case of pandemicitis?
I have many concerns

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
is this a case of pandemicitis?
I think there are still legitimate questions to be answered over the next several months, but I think a lot of the angst is pandemicitis. So, in conclusion, a bit of both.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
All good questions but the good news is you will get your answers before you have to commit any money.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Some of those we know the answer to, other information not until ~6 months or so before delivery starts. In no case will you be required to buy the truck sight unseen (unless you want to).

Location of charging stations - look at Plugshare.com and filter for CCS and J1772 will give you apicture of what is available today. There will be more by the time Rivian ships their first vehicle - some likely installed by Rivian, others by the expansion of current networks.

Service and maintenance - scheduled maintenance on an EV is typically: rotate the tires every 7500 miles, rotate the tires and change the cabin air filter every 15K, change the brake fluid every 3-5 years. Repeat. This does not require a "Rivian" service center and many elect to do it themselves or have a trusted mechanic do it. Warranty and official service will likely be thru an established (or possibly new) division of Cox Automotive. This is unlikely to have less coverage that Tesla's slowly expanding factory owned service centers.

I'm sure the warranty will be comprehensive and at least on par with competitive offerings, but details will require a bit of patience.

Financing options will likely be available thru Cox Automotive Group, and of course your local bank or credit union plus countless internet based lending companies.

Insurance will vary wildly based on too many factors to list (and not really a question for Rivian), but these days liability is the lions share of what my wife and I pay with little difference between the various vehicles we insure. Ask your agent what a $70K pickup costs to insure and you will be well within the ballpark.

Configuration options will be released soon (once again at least 6 months before anything ships). First run vehicles always have the potential for issues, but IMO only slightly more than any other new vehicle. Rivian is fully testing with a fleet of production spec vehicles hitting the road (typical of all manufacturers except Tesla). As an example, the VW ID4 is currently testing on US roads.

I, for one, will not be putting down $70K on a truck I have not seen and test driven. If that means I drop some spots in the queue, so be it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
loucetios

loucetios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, Toyota Spyder, Honda CRV
Occupation
Investor
Some of those we know the answer to, other information not until ~6 months or so before delivery starts. In no case will you be required to buy the truck sight unseen (unless you want to).

Location of charging stations - look at Plugshare.com and filter for CCS and J1772 will give you apicture of what is available today. There will be more by the time Rivian ships their first vehicle - some likely installed by Rivian, others by the expansion of current networks.

Service and maintenance - scheduled maintenance on an EV is typically: rotate the tires every 7500 miles, rotate the tires and change the cabin air filter every 15K, change the brake fluid every 3-5 years. Repeat. This does not require a "Rivian" service center and many elect to do it themselves or have a trusted mechanic do it. Warranty and official service will likely be thru an established (or possibly new) division of Cox Automotive. This is unlikely to have less coverage that Tesla's slowly expanding factory owned service centers.

I'm sure the warranty will be comprehensive and at least on par with competitive offerings, but details will require a bit of patience.

Financing options will likely be available thru Cox Automotive Group, and of course your local bank or credit union plus countless internet based lending companies.

Insurance will vary wildly based on too many factors to list (and not really a question for Rivian), but these days liability is the lions share of what my wife and I pay with little difference between the various vehicles we insure. Ask your agent what a $70K pickup costs to insure and you will be well within the ballpark.

Configuration options will be released soon (once again at least 6 months before anything ships). First run vehicles always have the potential for issues, but IMO only slightly more than any other new vehicle. Rivian is fully testing with a fleet of production spec vehicles hitting the road (typical of all manufacturers except Tesla). As an example, the VW ID4 is currently testing on US roads.

I, for one, will not be putting down $70K on a truck I have not seen and test driven. If that means I drop some spots in the queue, so be it.
Thanks for the information. I was also thinking about pulling back in the order queue.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I have confidence in Rivian, and will try to get mine as soon as possible; I preordered December 2018, so I look forward to being among the first vehicles.

I have no doubt there will be issues, but believe Rivian is the type of company that will address them as completely and promptly as possible.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I have confidence in Rivian, and will try to get mine as soon as possible; I preordered December 2018, so I look forward to being among the first vehicles.

I have no doubt there will be issues, but believe Rivian is the type of company that will address them as completely and promptly as possible.
We will be looking to you for updates and reviews.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We will be looking to you for updates and reviews.
And I'll be happy to do it. I'll be getting an R1S, so I'll be a couple months behind the early R1Ts; there should be some good info out by that time, and the vehicles will be similar enough that my contributions will likely be R1S-specific.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
And I'll be happy to do it. I'll be getting an R1S, so I'll be a couple months behind the early R1Ts; there should be some good info out by that time, and the vehicles will be similar enough that my contributions will likely be R1S-specific.
I think the Alex on Autos youtuber reserved an R1T on Dec 2018 too, so I'm keeping an eye on his channel since he may be getting the earlier reviews out from actually ordering and owning one.

Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Alex on Autos and Fred Lambert of Electrek both ordered in November, not December, 2018 since they influenced me to order on November 30, 2018. Alex gets reviews out quickly and they're thorough, so we should hear something relatively early from him.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Alex on Autos and Fred Lambert of Electrek both ordered in November, not December, 2018 since they influenced me to order on November 30, 2018. Alex gets reviews out quickly and they're thorough, so we should hear something relatively early from him.
Oh nice I didn't know about Electrek. Alex's reviews are def very thorough, so it will be interesting. Also, he has a good relationship with the TFL guys, so im wondering if he'll let them have at it too for some offroad/ towing testing. Those reviews will def be out before I get my R1S anyway.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I agree with this sentiment, although I personally might lean towards hitting the order button sooner rather than later given i) I'm at the back of the queue and ii) I want an R1S. The worst case scenario with ordering early is that while the vehicle is in production I have a change of heart because of bad reviews (unlikely) or reliability issues (also unlikely) or whatever else (lower cost BE SUVs on the market - possibly), and I lose the pre-order deposit. I can't imagine manufacturers holding us liable for the full value of the vehicle until we take delivery - can they?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree with this sentiment, although I personally might lean towards hitting the order button sooner rather than later given i) I'm at the back of the queue and ii) I want an R1S. The worst case scenario with ordering early is that while the vehicle is in production I have a change of heart because of bad reviews (unlikely) or reliability issues (also unlikely) or whatever else (lower cost BE SUVs on the market - possibly), and I lose the pre-order deposit. I can't imagine manufacturers holding us liable for the full value of the vehicle until we take delivery - can they?
I assume there will be an additional deposit when committing to a config, but that's just speculation.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I assume there will be an additional deposit when committing to a config, but that's just speculation.
Could be - I can only speak from my anecdotal evidence of ordering a MINI Cooper from the factory, and there was just one order deposit which would have been fully refundable even if I decided not to pick it up at the dealership once completed.
Sponsored