RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Enjoying my R1S a great deal but I can't deny that it makes a LOT of noise. Rattles, clunks, squeaks, but especially... rattles. Did I mention it rattles a LOT, like on the smallest 1/4" deep road imperfection... rattles all over :D

So I thought it might be nice to start a thread for community fixes/tip/tricks to deal with the common NVH (Noise, vibration, harshness) issues I know a lot of early adopter R1 owners face. These have been scattered around but it might be nice to have one place to share the methods people have used to self-service these issues and maybe help avoid having to wait for service to address them (if they even will - I took mine on for some of this and while things came back better, it's far from "fixed"). So let's help each other help ourselves.

I don't have any solutions to offer at the moment but I can at least share the areas that I hear things from most often and maybe that'll get the ball rolling for others to offer solutions they might have found.

There seems to be some rattle that sounds like it's emanating from the passenger side roof area, near the frontmost roof rack mount point (I do have the rails on the front two mounts). It definitely sounds like it's from the vehicle and not the rail, but maybe it's some interaction between the two. I don't know.

Lots of rattles from the rear seat area. I am always driving as everyone else seems terrified to drive this thing so I can never sit in the back and listen from there, press, hold, or otherwise try to troubleshoot, so it's hard to say exactly where things are coming from - but like... rattles galore back there. Doors maybe, seating area, again it's very hard to pinpoint without being able to get back there.

Another item that sounds like an underbody "flapping" over bumps. Service did fix a loose panel down there, and it did improve things, yet the sound persists.

The typical front-end clunks, ticks, tocks, and creaks, which I've just sorta accepted at this point.

I'd really like to address the interior rattles mostly. Thunks and clunks aren't nice, but the rattles make this vehicle sound... cheap, for lack of a better term. A solid thunk is a lot better than sounding like the interior is missing half the screws it should have.

So what home-grown solutions have people come up with to silence their noisy R1s? What are the common trouble areas to look at and examine for squeaks and rattles?

Let's help each other sort this out
Sponsored

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

The panel seams for the dash by the door were rubbing and squeaking in my R1T. I used the felt side of 2" hook and loop strips to fix the noise. I pried the pieces apart and put the felt tape on the locations where they rubbed together.

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

The panel seams for the dash by the door were rubbing and squeaking in my R1T. I used the felt side of 2" hook and loop strips to fix the noise. I pried the pieces apart and put the felt tape on the locations where they rubbed together.
Can you post pics at some point? Worth a thousand words and all that

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Haven't gotten any of them looked at by an SC, but the B-pillars vibrate/rattle a lot on rough roads...mainly the plastic adjusters for the seat belt height. Similarly, I have a nasty rattle in the headliner, but haven't been able to isolate exactly where. The seals on doors are pretty bad...especially in high winds on the highway they leak a lot.

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Haven't gotten any of them looked at by an SC, but the B-pillars vibrate/rattle a lot on rough roads...mainly the plastic adjusters for the seat belt height. Similarly, I have a nasty rattle in the headliner, but haven't been able to isolate exactly where. The seals on doors are pretty bad...especially in high winds on the highway they leak a lot.
The B-pillars seem to be an issue for me - again I wish I could get back there and really mess it while moving. Have you done anything to try and tame the seat belt adjusters? Felt?

Weirdly the one thing I seem to be good with with are all the seals - wind noise comes almost exclusively from the roof rails and nowhere else - but the rattles... got those :D

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hercules10

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Yep we bought a 95k Rattler.. Wind noise, dash rattles on San Antonio roads all come out to play. :confused:

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Mine has been pretty good. Some wind noise but I picked up some 6mm foam listed in another thread, cut to length, and installed them near the triangle glass. Works great and looks factory. The T has a bit of rattle but it seems to come and go which tells me its related to air suspension or kinetic ride control.

These are adventure vehicles so they are not going to be bank vault silent.

Rivian R1T R1S Community NVH Thread - Share your fixes for noises, rattles, clunks, squeaks 1000004481

Rivian R1T R1S Community NVH Thread - Share your fixes for noises, rattles, clunks, squeaks 1000004480

6mm
https://amzn.to/3UfWF2m

Last edited:

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Can you post pics at some point? Worth a thousand words and all that
These two pieces would squeak over bumps. I probably could have hidden the tape better but it's hard to see unless you're looking straight down. I have rattles in the seat belt adjusters in the B pillars too. No idea how to address those.

Rivian R1T R1S Community NVH Thread - Share your fixes for noises, rattles, clunks, squeaks IMG_6486

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Mine has been pretty good. Some wind noise but I picked up some foam strips listed in another thread and installed them near the triangle glass. Works great and looks factory. The T has a bit of rattle but it seems to come and go which tells me its related to air suspension or kinetic ride control.

These are adventure vehicles so they are not going to be bank vault silent.

1000004481.jpg

1000004480.jpg

https://amzn.to/3UfWF2m
Did you get the 6mm or 10mm?

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

These two pieces would squeak over bumps. I probably could have hidden the tape better but it's hard to see unless you're looking straight down. I have rattles in the seat belt adjusters in the B pillars too. No idea how to address those.

IMG_6486.jpg
Thanks helpful!

Sponsored

Zig

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T - Launch Edition (El Cap/Black Mt)
Clubs

I was getting a lot of rough road noise around my center dash area. At first I put a thicker rubber piece behind the screen to get some separation of the screen from the dash. The ultimate fix was put an additional piece of felt in between the top of the screen and the dash to get some separation. No more center dash noise.
Rivian R1T R1S Community NVH Thread - Share your fixes for noises, rattles, clunks, squeaks Screenshot 2024-04-14 082022

joey128

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi A8 & Q7, Ford Exc PSD
Occupation
Tech
I am getting an intermittent wind noise from both front doors on the highway when traveling at ~75 mph especially when there is a strong cross wind. It seems as though the door is either not tightly closing or there is a misaligned door seal. If I squeeze the door shut from the door frame at either the A or B Pillar, the wind noise goes away.

As for air suspension clacking noise, yes, same here on my R1S. We just took it on a road trip down from the Bay Area <> SD and my wife thought it gotten louder on the 1,100 mile RT. That said, the squeaky suspension noise that I used to hear seemed to have gone away.

One thing I did on the trip was dropped it into conserve mode and on the lowest ride height setting while on the freeway to/from. Maybe riding this low broke in the suspension and eliminated the squeaky noise…..?

Last edited:

TigerWuxia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
I started to accept the fact that my R1S is just a noisy vehicle.
I took it to service center once and they fixed the rattling in the 2nd row door panel. There are still some random rattling hard to pinpoint. A few places I found are: flashlight holder, some plastic rubbing in 2nd row seats, suspension squeaking over bumps (SC said it is normal). Overall, I would say it is tolerable but disappointing NVH control for such an expensive vehicle.
Sponsored