Sponsored

Shorebreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
If you are talking about the plastic trip on the top lip of the lower portion, it can be removed. It is held on by clips and can be removed by carefully pulling the eager out (the clips are horizontal, so pull towards the rear not up). Be careful after you unclip it as there is a wire connected at the switch. The wire has about 6” of slack if I recall.

If you are describing something different, post pics to clarify
That is what I'm referring to. I didn't want to get too aggressive on pulling it out in case they're fastened in a way that damages something. I didn't take pics last night because it was inconvenient.

Not sure if I'm going to use a pry tool and remove that strip. I spoke with service today and they're going to see if they can handle it by sending out a mobile unit.
Sponsored

Scott1620

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model S
Clubs

Appreciate the info here and wanted to add my own for anyone with the same issue that wants to diy.

I found that if you have a clunk when the liftgate opens (meaning the liftgate is adjusted too high and binding on the top plastic) then you need to adjust the top 4 hinge bolts to slightly lower the gate when closed. Rough DIY procedure that I used to fix mine below. You have to disconnect the lift struts or the gate will pull itself all the way down in the adjustment (ask me how I know 😞

• Open the liftgate, turn off the power liftgate option in the interface.
  • Support the liftgate with something, I used a 6 foot step ladder.
  • On both sides of the gate, with a flathead screwdriver pop the clip holding the lift strut on, attached picture.
  • Pull the strut out with your support ready.
  • Loosten th 4 bolts on the top of the gate and slide back very slightly and tighten them back up.
  • Reconnect the struts and check your alignment, may need to do this a few times, it only takes a few mins once you get it.
Rivian R1T R1S Adjusting R1S liftgate / tailgate alignment -- how-to DIY instructions 20231022_213802

ChuckL

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Thanks for this thread!

Before I go into my liftgate details I'm really posting this to point I found this document from Rivian about alignment tolerances, adjustment points, and torque of the liftgate bolts from a customer satisfaction communication on NHTSA.

It specifically references early 2022 R1S's and a short weather seal on the liftgate - how to adjust if leaking, seal needs replacement, or liftgate is replaced.
However, I expect the torque specs, which bolts to adjust for which gap alignment areas, and even approximately the gap range tolerances would be similar or identical on all of them regardless of this weather seal issue. I'm not sure if you can edit the first post or not OP, but if you could it may be worth linking the PDF document along with your great guidance!

Screenshot_20230831_093118_Chrome.jpg

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10238720-0001.pdf

My liftgate alignment was pretty rough and the first time the service center told me it was in spec on the upper but adjusted the lower - seemed like they made the upper worse in the progress. I pushed that the alignment wasn't normal with the manager along with some other issues that were not addressed or not to my satisfaction on the first attempt.
They took another attempt at it and made it much better (85-90% perfect). The manager also noted that the liftgate stamping had less than ideal tolerances for those produced up until April 2023 or so (at least into 8xxx VIN or higher) which made it sometimes a trade-off between visual fit and alignment versus function and (at least in my case) significant warping of the roof applique in the area near the hinge points. At the end of the day they found a great balance which I'm much happier with but I will probably mess with it on my own to see if I can't get it a little better like many of us on here probably will :)
Was going to try adjusting my RS1 tailgate, option 5 on the Rivian pdf. When loosening the fasteners there’s dried sealant between the washer/bolt fastener and the hinge it’s bolted to. Just leave it you think? Replace with new silicone sealant?

thanks to all for the guidance!

Last edited:
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Clubs

Was going to try adjusting my RS1 tailgate, option 5 on the Rivian pdf. When loosening the fasteners there’s dried sealant between the washer/bolt fastener and the hinge it’s bolted to. Just leave it you think? Replace with new silicone sealant?

thanks to all for the guidance!
I'm not positive but I believe that is why they are deemed non reusable parts - I bet they come with the sealant as a compressible ring like another washer so when it's been set once they just replace it rather than trying to have the techs are more manually. I would either just leave it if not too dry/stiff or space with new sealant.

No expert though... Just my 2 cents 🙂

DesertRivian17

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Ours had this issue from the day we picked it up, they attempted to adjust it as we signed paperwork. It did not last, then it began to bind at the top and scratched the paint, also it would open some then close itself 95% of the time. I could open by “helping” it, but it would bind at the top and make bad nosies. Went back into the shop for two weeks while they re-fixed this issue and then repainted. Also found the front drivers door to bind and the frunk was also low on one side. They really need to do better on the QA before they leave the factory.

ChuckL

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Appreciate the info here and wanted to add my own for anyone with the same issue that wants to diy.

I found that if you have a clunk when the liftgate opens (meaning the liftgate is adjusted too high and binding on the top plastic) then you need to adjust the top 4 hinge bolts to slightly lower the gate when closed. Rough DIY procedure that I used to fix mine below. You have to disconnect the lift struts or the gate will pull itself all the way down in the adjustment (ask me how I know 😞

• Open the liftgate, turn off the power liftgate option in the interface.
  • Support the liftgate with something, I used a 6 foot step ladder.
  • On both sides of the gate, with a flathead screwdriver pop the clip holding the lift strut on, attached picture.
  • Pull the strut out with your support ready.
  • Loosten th 4 bolts on the top of the gate and slide back very slightly and tighten them back up.
  • Reconnect the struts and check your alignment, may need to do this a few times, it only takes a few mins once you get it.
20231022_213802.jpg
This saved my butt.
I was trying this exact thing and didn't realize had to disconnect the struts.
going on a road trip next week and the lift gate wouldn't close after my initial attempt at adjusting.
called in a panic to service center, no service appts.
google found this and I got myself out of trouble, ski trip saved.
big thanks here Scott1620.
forums working as they should...
Sponsored