Sponsored

Watch Alexa Open the Rivian R1T Frunk

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
If you have the Amazon app on your phone, you already have Alexa.
Perhaps with Iphones but it does not look that way with Android. I have an Android with Amazon app installed and I have Prime and there is no setting in the app to activate Alexa. Plus, the Google Play store has a separate "Amazon Alexa" app you must install if you want voice response on your phone.
Sponsored

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I guess that won't be so bad.I Can get the microwave going while on the road. Hope there is a fart mode and karaok

We, the consumers, are all lab rats in Amazon’s lab as it tries to figure out how to best monetize Alexa
I stand corrected. My wife has experienced Alexa music system and loves it. Great news she gets Alexa and I get the truck.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Perhaps with Iphones but it does not look that way with Android. I have an Android with Amazon app installed and I have Prime and there is no setting in the app to activate Alexa. Plus, the Google Play store has a separate "Amazon Alexa" app you must install if you want voice response on your phone.
I have Android. I stand corrected on Prime Video. It doesn't have Alexa built in. I also deleted my Alexa application and was still able to use Alexa with Amazon Music and the Amazon app.

Rivian R1T R1S Watch Alexa Open the Rivian R1T Frunk Screenshot_20190930-190951_Amazon Shoppin

Rivian R1T R1S Watch Alexa Open the Rivian R1T Frunk Screenshot_20190930-191233_Amazon Music

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
I also deleted my Alexa application and was still able to use Alexa with Amazon Music and the Amazon app.
Ahh, yes, I see the Alexa icon in the app now, thanks. I suspect then the Amazon app possibly provides basic voice commands where the Amazon Alexa app provides extended commands/services. If that's the case, at least that minimizes the bloat-ware for those who don't use it.
Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> Amazon Shopping -> Permissions -> All off except Camera and Microphone. Well, now just Camera. ;)

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Ahh, yes, I see the Alexa icon in the app now, thanks. I suspect then the Amazon app possibly provides basic voice commands where the Amazon Alexa app provides extended commands/services. If that's the case, at least that minimizes the bloat-ware for those who don't use it.
Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> Amazon Shopping -> Permissions -> All off except Camera and Microphone. Well, now just Camera. ;)
Correct. I use the Alexa app mostly for smart home functionality. Turning off/on lights, open/close garage door, adjust AC and fans, playing music through Sonos. By the time everything is announced, I think we can make you a believer...

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
I haven't used Alexa much myself (I live in Google's world), and my initial emotional reaction is "do not want!". But that's maybe based on my experience with most other vehicle voice assistants that are basically useless because:
- they cannot understand what you're saying, either the words, or you didn't say them in the very exact specific way it wants you to
- very slow response time to react and between prompts (the video at the beginning of this thread concerns me because of the full 4 second delay!)
- any sort of reliance on cell service

If these issues aren't present in the Rivian vehicles, sure thing, give me Alexa. But please still let me turn it off and give me privacy controls!
Sponsored