Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I had read somewhere that Oakhurst or Fish Camp was on the list of future RAN’s.

That may have changed now that the deal with Tesla is happening.

There are a lot of chargers at Tenaya.
What kind?

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
It's relatively low cost to put in L2 chargers. No need to put in expensive AC/DC power cabinets. They're probably utilizing the existing power that is already in facility. I bet the hardest part of the project is convincing the park service to let them install chargers in those spots.

I think this is a great low cost investment to get eyes on the brand. There are millions of people who come through the park every year. The Valley also needs more L2 chargers.

I do wonder what signage they will put up to prevent those valuable spots from getting ICEd. Tow away? Then you have those Tesla drivers who will hog up the rest...
They're probably going to see how this unfolds. But I don't like the whole L2 thing. L2 charging besides home and work should be taken out to the pasture and shot. Good L3 charging is where the investments should be (but as I stated before Rivian shouldn't even be in the charging world).

L2 investment impedes progress in L3.

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
These spots need vibrant green paint on the pavement and someone needs to enforce the parking for EV charging.
Enforcement hasn't happened elsewhere so why should it happen at the parks?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
They're probably going to see how this unfolds. But I don't like the whole L2 thing. L2 charging besides home and work should be taken out to the pasture and shot. Good L3 charging is where the investments should be (but as I stated before Rivian shouldn't even be in the charging world).

L2 investment impedes progress in L3.
L2 at park visitor centers, trailheads, hotels, campgrounds, etc have very real value. They’re much cheaper to install, have significantly lower infrastructure demands, and can provide a good bit of extra range while the EV is just sitting still anyway.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Enforcement hasn't happened elsewhere so why should it happen at the parks?
Because it needs to start happening everywhere. We have a friend in LA that told me no only do anti-EV people ICE in charging spots on purpose, they’ll also cut off the cables! I didn’t believe it until he sent me a photo of a ChargePoint charger with the cables cut.

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Because it needs to start happening everywhere. We have a friend in LA that told me no only do anti-EV people ICE in charging spots on purpose, they’ll also cut off the cables! I didn’t believe it until he sent me a photo of a ChargePoint charger with the cables cut.
Cutting the cable is rare, it also might be due to copper theft. Icing is much more common, it's one reason why they'll put the chargers in less desired areas in parking lots. Eventually social norm psychology will overtake this behavior, but IMO it will take time if the EV market matures and less expensive EVs come online. Most EV's sold today are "look at me" which pisses off the less affluent so they ICE the charging spots (even EV owners will take a stall over without charging or charge to 100). But we're not even close to that yet, and EV mandates IMO will be pushed further back.

madtownbred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, R1S
I was there the other weekend and also saw that they are installing another 20 or so Waypoint chargers in Wawona near the general store. Super cool to see the investment they are putting into making the park more EV friendly.

PXL_20230702_164944498.jpg
PXL_20230702_164933617.jpg
I saw these at Wawona the week of July 4th but they were still wrapped in caution tape. Are they online yet?

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S DPM Max Pack 20" AT
According to PlugShare reviews, these still aren't up and running 🥲

https://www.plugshare.com/location/547174

Has anyone had success asking Rivian support for ETAs on waypoint charger availability? It seems like the hardware has been finished for months, and the other waypoints in the park are online, these are just in limbo for some reason.
Sponsored