Sponsored

Will I be the only Rivian in New England?

aww181

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, 64 Triumph Spitfire
So… this brings up a thought I’ve been kicking around. How do we get RJ’s attention? How do we make New England’s wilderness more accessible? This is not a call to belly-ache but one to get a crowd fired up.

I’ve never thought of New England as a minor part of America’s great outdoors. Yet, despite RJ’s time at MIT, this region seems an after thought to Rivian. How do we get his attention and, similarly, but separately, how do we get more towns to set up reliable EVSE?

I wrote to Rivian several times about its product testing and launch plans noting that New England was featured seemingly not at all; certainly not in its videos. All hope from assurances sent faded when I saw Rivian’s DC charging map last year.

Assessing Rivian’s plan for Level 3 chargers in our area isn’t straightforward (for me anyway). Their plan seems to have a net benefit of only two more fast-charger-served areas — Franconia-Lincoln area and (what might about 40 miles from) Baxter State Park guessing from their map. Level 2 chargers aren’t much better. Compare Rivian’s map to these screenshots from ChargeHub (a Canadian alternative to PlugShare). This will change if and when Tesla opens its Superchargers to others.

Level 3
260B4E51-541B-46B0-A7EC-91F1D9B70F19.jpeg

Level 2
7BD5F1D5-E89E-4470-9FE6-B1A109D74018.jpeg

Here’s what I’ve done (without much luck) so far. I looked at creating a business out of 50kw chargers; not great but happy to share my experience. I’ve written to Rivian and inn keepers, restauranteurs, ski lodges and others about installing at least 19kw level 2 chargers. I keep an 80-foot extension cord in my trunk which I’ve run from a window to my car at a ski lodge in Lincoln, NH. Oh, and I installed a 30 amp level 2 charger at my folks’ house in Lewiston, ME; I use their home as launch point for trips into Maine’s wilderness (which my mother loves ‘cause she gets to see her son and granddaughter more regularly).

If you’re curious, I have a 2022 Taycan which averages about 230 miles at 100% charge.

Has anyone else in this group been thinking or acting on this? Is there a concerted effort we can make?

I couldn't agree more but can't say I've taken much action other than reaching out to Rivian support. It's why I am waiting for the max pack and even then am unsure. Rivian marketing is perfect for me. I want more "adventure". While I already hike/camp - I plan to be more proactive about going new places in the next 5 years. Have you tried planning a route to Baxter State Park from Boston? (Using ABRP) Yikes! It had me driving to Canada for a charge to get home. Or the extra 5-6 hours charging at L2 stations to get across to the Adirondacks and back. I sent my use cases to Rivian. I just hope a few of their chargers are planned on major highways in New England and not just in California and colorado. Note, the portable charger and an adapter for Tesla destination chargers should cover most destination charging. It's really about distance, "adventure" locations and convenience.

The issue is a chicken vs egg problem. There are 3000 BEVs in NH (2022 est) and 1300 in Maine (2018 est). 6400 in VT (2021 est) Though these states should consider chargers a priority to support tourism. The limited access in "adventure" areas weighs on my final decision. Really, we just need a handful of locations with fast chargers on I89, I93, Rt 16 and I95 to make travel in NE feasible.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
So… this brings up a thought I’ve been kicking around. How do we get RJ’s attention? How do we make New England’s wilderness more accessible? This is not a call to belly-ache but one to get a crowd fired up.

I’ve never thought of New England as a minor part of America’s great outdoors. Yet, despite RJ’s time at MIT, this region seems an after thought to Rivian. How do we get his attention and, similarly, but separately, how do we get more towns to set up reliable EVSE?

I wrote to Rivian several times about its product testing and launch plans noting that New England was featured seemingly not at all; certainly not in its videos. All hope from assurances sent faded when I saw Rivian’s DC charging map last year.

Assessing Rivian’s plan for Level 3 chargers in our area isn’t straightforward (for me anyway). Their plan seems to have a net benefit of only two more fast-charger-served areas — Franconia-Lincoln area and (what might about 40 miles from) Baxter State Park guessing from their map. Level 2 chargers aren’t much better. Compare Rivian’s map to these screenshots from ChargeHub (a Canadian alternative to PlugShare). This will change if and when Tesla opens its Superchargers to others.

Level 3
260B4E51-541B-46B0-A7EC-91F1D9B70F19.jpeg

Level 2
7BD5F1D5-E89E-4470-9FE6-B1A109D74018.jpeg

Here’s what I’ve done (without much luck) so far. I looked at creating a business out of 50kw chargers; not great but happy to share my experience. I’ve written to Rivian and inn keepers, restauranteurs, ski lodges and others about installing at least 19kw level 2 chargers. I keep an 80-foot extension cord in my trunk which I’ve run from a window to my car at a ski lodge in Lincoln, NH. Oh, and I installed a 30 amp level 2 charger at my folks’ house in Lewiston, ME; I use their home as launch point for trips into Maine’s wilderness (which my mother loves ‘cause she gets to see her son and granddaughter more regularly).

If you’re curious, I have a 2022 Taycan which averages about 230 miles at 100% charge.

Has anyone else in this group been thinking or acting on this? Is there a concerted effort we can make?
I havent put as much thought in as you have but would be happy to help where I can. Big supporter of any efforts in this space and EV adoption is going to absolutely skyrocket over the next 10 years.

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
And Route 2. Please don't forget about us commuters.

Sponsored

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Something about this Rivian seems familiar but I cant quite place it

Rivian R1T R1S Will I be the only Rivian in New England? 1650251308043

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Sunday night:

Rivian R1T R1S Will I be the only Rivian in New England? PXL_20220417_230236353
Rivian R1T R1S Will I be the only Rivian in New England? PXL_20220417_230238977
Rivian R1T R1S Will I be the only Rivian in New England? PXL_20220417_230257623

OP
OP

fromawayfarm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Kona EV
The Chelsea location is looking good, but they aren’t using it quite yet. I had a chat with my guide this morning and he said my delivery will be handled out of NYC.
I offered to travel to the City and pick it up if it would make the delivery sooner, still waiting on words about that.

I signed m PBA but am now waiting for the VIN assignment so I can start the 8 Steps.
Very excited.

Sponsored

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
There's a R1T cruising around western MA (blue with BM interior I suppose) and few others in the area got guide contacts, so New England is getting more and more represented.
Saw one in Tolland CT too. Forest green w/ 22s. 1st time I saw one in person. Way better in person.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

To my complete surprise I got a first call from a guide today!
Had a good chat, locked in config, signed PBA.
But unlike others, complete cold call, no guide email.

He said my estimated delivery is "October to December...but maybe sooner" !! 😅

I was hoping to lay eyes on an R1T and see a few colors in person before this point, but so be it.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
To my complete surprise I got a first call from a guide today!
Had a good chat, locked in config, signed PBA.
But unlike others, complete cold call, no guide email.

He said my estimated delivery is "October to December...but maybe sooner" !! 😅

I was hoping to lay eyes on an R1T and see a few colors in person before this point, but so be it.
congrats!

order date & configuration?

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation