Sponsored

When will pre-orders end and online orders begin?

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

If you're wanting to get an R1S, I'd pre-order now. You're probably looking at mid-year next year at the earliest, the way things sound. I doubt we'll slip into 2023, unless the supply chain issues are still ongoing next year. The deposit is fully refundable, so if the date slips further than you can tolerate, or you change your mind, you can always get your money back. I'm in for an R1T, but it doesn't matter when it shows up for me. I have a perfectly serviceable vehicle to hold me over in the meantime.
I ordered it tonight :)
Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Congrats! What color combo?

As an aside, I got my art and letter from RJ today. I know it's not much, but it definitely makes the order more real. Looking forward to enjoying the attention from the company before they get huge like Tesla. ?
El Cap and Black.

The wheels I couldn't decide on so stuck with the included version.

Hilbe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS P100D, Tesla MX 90D Unicorn, Rivian R1S
El Cap and Black.

The wheels I couldn't decide on so stuck with the included version.
That's same as me, but I ordered a few days ago. Excited to get it.

I emailed them about my delivery date yesterday:

Good morning Chris,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at Rivian! It's good to hear from you, thanks for being part of the preorder community. We can’t wait to get you behind the wheel of the R1S! I love that you went with the El Cap Granite exterior, my personal favorite.

Deliveries will begin in January 2022 for both the Adventure and Explore packages. As the time gets closer, we will be able to provide a more specific timeframe of delivery for you. Exact delivery dates will be based on preorder date, configuration, and location.

Again, we are so excited to have you in our preorder community. If there are any other questions that you may have, do not hesitate to reach out and I would be more than happy to assist.

Have a great rest of the week and stay adventurous!

Your Fellow Adventurer,

Brent

8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT - M-F
Closed - Sa-Su

OP
OP
EVTrucking

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

That's same as me, but I ordered a few days ago. Excited to get it.

I emailed them about my delivery date yesterday:
Congratulations on becoming a member of the Rivian pre-order pool! I think the R1T and R1S will be great vehicles and Rivian will do what it takes to get them delivered to us.

My understanding is that when our vehicles are getting close to being built a Rivian Guide will contact us and it is at that time that we make final configuration changes and actually purchase the vehicle. As pre-order holders we are potential customers.

I pre-ordered a 400+ R1T Green Adventure 3/20/21. My expectation for delivery, which is based mostly on speculation, is mid-2023. I really hope I am wrong and it is sooner but I am willing to wait.

Sponsored

Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, White, Forest Edge, 22” Brights
Occupation
Mechanical, Engineering, Technician for Navy (Undersea Warfare)Retired
Rivian chat did not have any information on when or what criteria they will use to end pre-orders (reservations) and begin ordering online. That leaves it open to speculation and I am interested in what other folks think (speculate).

IMO pre-ordering will end once some small number of vehicles are delivered to customers.

What could the impact of online ordering have on pre-order holders, especially those near the end of the line?
I just ordered my R1T a couple of months ago. I’ve never owned an EV before. The only EV I own now is a Ryobi electric riding mower and I just bought that?.
I hope i don’t have to wait to long because I’m not getting any younger. I’m 65, retired but still young at heart.
Curious, I wonder what the age group is for Rivian buyers, anyone know?

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I just ordered my R1T a couple of months ago. I’ve never owned an EV before. The only EV I own now is a Ryobi electric riding mower and I just bought that?.
I hope i don’t have to wait to long because I’m not getting any younger. I’m 65, retired but still young at heart.
I’m 55, so not too far behind you! If you look at who they are marketing to, it ain’t us! But I’m ok with that! Young at heart!

Last edited:

Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’m 55, so not too far behind you! If you look at who they are marketing, it ain’t us! But I’m ok with that! Young at heart!
Yep, it ain’t us. Stay young till the end my friend.

Ginny

First Name
Ginny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 escalade ext, 2019 corvette
Occupation
retired
I’m 55, so not too far behind you! If you look at who they are marketing, it ain’t us! But I’m ok with that! Young at heart!
Well, I am 76 and still kicken. I need the r1t cause I have a horse and need a truck for emergency towing and want an electric truck so I can be the first at my ranch to have one! As this will probably be my last truck I want it to be an electric!

Last edited:
OP
OP
EVTrucking

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I am 69 and really hope I am wrong about my speculative delivery date of mid to late 2023.

I currently do not and have not owned an EV but hope to before…..

I have ordered a Mach-E to fill the need but I may not see it for 4-6 months.

I will hold onto my reservation and see how things go.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I am 69 and really hope I am wrong about my speculative delivery date of mid to late 2023.

I’ve always been a truck guy, but got the EV bug back in 2015 and just couldn’t resist - bought a Tesla S. Been waiting ever since for an EV truck, and have had preorders on several. I like Rivian the best and hope they are first to market! I cancelled my Bollinger reservation (I don’t think they will make it), but still have a very early CT reservation ?, and now also have an F-150 Lightening reservation. Nikola just always seemed like smoke and mirrors to me, and Lordstown just seemed to be going low end, so neither of them appealed to me. Go Rivian! ?

Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

Yep, the Rivian met all my needs. I like pickup trucks, I like “real 4 wheel drive“ (every wheel is powered like a locker) when I need it, size of the truck is perfect and I like a truck with horsepower. I’m thinking it’s going to be lots of fun to drive an EV for the first time. Can’t Wait.
4 to 6 months not too bad for you. Good luck.
My wait will be much longer.

OP
OP
EVTrucking

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Yep, the Rivian met all my needs. I like pickup trucks, I like “real 4 wheel drive“ (every wheel is powered like a locker) when I need it, size of the truck is perfect and I like a truck with horsepower. I’m thinking it’s going to be lots of fun to drive an EV for the first time. Can’t Wait.
4 to 6 months not too bad for you. Good luck.
My wait will be much longer.
I could not wait any longer to drive an EV so test drove a Tesla Y, a Volvo XC40 Recharge and a Mach -E.

Not trucks but confirmed that EVs are fun and satisfying to drive. I am hooked.

As mentioned earlier in this thread I purchased a Mach - E. I also reserved a Lightning. Not sure if I will order it though. R1T is best fit for my needs and wants.

I don’t expect my R1T for another 2 yrs so maybe I will
Sell my EVs and purchase it then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Don

Cassidy_DM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda6
Occupation
Space
I'm 42 and was a BMW fan, due to a youth spent in Deutschland. Owned pretty much nothing but BMWs until two years ago, when they refused to refund me for a repair I paid out of pocket for on a recalled part.

Started looking around and test drove a Model 3 Performance. That was all she wrote on ever wanting an ICE car again.

Then I started looking into overlanding during the pandemic (probably as a way to mentally escape the house) and Rivian just happens to scratch both the "no ICE" and "Tonka truck fun time" parts of my brain.

So here we are.

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
I'm 71. I want to get rid on my ICE vehicle an go electric. I need an all-wheel drive car to get to the mountains to ski (alpine & XC) in winter (not to mention just getting around town!) At other times of the year, it'll be nice to have AWD and high clearance on forest roads for hiking and stuff. The VW ID.4 probably has sufficient ground clearance (equivalent to my Outback) but doesn't come in AWD, yet. Ideally I would like something larger than the ID.4 and smaller than the R1S.

P.S. The R1S would not have gotten high-centered in the alley about 3 years ago, like my Outback did.
Sponsored