Sponsored

When do the configurator emails go out?

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I'm about to ping them but though I'd ask here first. It would be nice to at least know morning or evening.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
If they are smart, they will send in small batches throughout the day. Nothing like having tens of thousands of anxious customers all hit your website at the same time only to find out the hard way your web site has scalability issues. Unfortunately the marketing folks don't always realize the backend servers might have limitations....

OP
OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
There's only 40-50k of us and it looks like they're on AWS based on their HTTP responses. They should be able to handle that load no problem. All I got was between 8am-8pm central. Kind of annoyed they couldn't do it on Sunday.

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
On a similar note: In a chat yesterday Sara stated that in order to ensure a launch edition you should definitely save your configuration in the first week window, but that i did not need to be up at midnight on Sunday!

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
On a similar note: In a chat yesterday Sara stated that in order to ensure a launch edition you should definitely save your configuration in the first week window, but that i did not need to be up at midnight on Sunday!
It appears that there is no reason NOT to reserve a Launch Edition. From what they have said, you can change configurations at any time up until the time you lock in your order for production.

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
Oh I'll be up at Midnight on Sunday : )

But sounds like I won't see the configurator at that time.
Me too! Just in Case....

OP
OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Well, I got my configurator email at 4:45 so EOD might be likely.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
There's only 40-50k of us and it looks like they're on AWS based on their HTTP responses. They should be able to handle that load no problem. All I got was between 8am-8pm central. Kind of annoyed they couldn't do it on Sunday.
Yes, they are AWS based but even that combined with extensive load testing doesn't make the site invulnerable. I can tell you from experience that you can't spin up new EC2 nodes fast enough to handle spike loads without impacting the customer. They really shouldn't risk a successful launch of the configurator over what they "should" be able to handle. They only get one chance to get this right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Yes, they are AWS based but even that combined with extensive load testing doesn't make the site invulnerable. I can tell you from experience that you can't spin up new EC2 nodes fast enough to handle spike loads without impacting the customer. They really shouldn't risk a successful launch of the configurator over what they "should" be able to handle. They only get one chance to get this right.
Amazon is their business partner. They actually have an ecommerce team with proper web devs now.

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Amazon is their business partner. They actually have an ecommerce team with proper web devs now.
I can tell you from experience the Hummer pre-order site was overwhelmed within minutes of it opening. I see no reason to rush, pre-order customers will have an entire week before new customers anyway. And I will not be getting the LE.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Y'all just wait to check it out. I volunteer to take one for the team & look at it first.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Yeah, my company is also a major AWS customer. They're not an investor but they go out of their way to take really good care of us. Wasn't intending a debate on best practices, just making what was intended to be a casual observation after 20+ years in the business including as a senior engineer for an ecom platform that generates over $18B/yr in revenue (well, that was pre-covid). The intent was to simply prepare folks for the fact that the emails may not be sent all at once but may be spread throughout the day. From what I have observed so far, they already seem to do this with their marketing materials.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Even if they do go out all at once, many people will be at work or otherwise occupied and not jump on/log in instantaneously.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Even if they do go out all at once, many people will be at work or otherwise occupied and not jump on/log in instantaneously.
That would be logical but you would be quite surprised at the volume of traffic a "call to action" email can generate. The difference between 1000 visitors in 10 minutes vs 1 minute vs 1 sec can make the difference between a functional or non-functional web site. This is a been there done that multiple times thing for me, I speak from experience.

The psychology of web traffic is actually quite fascinating but often not as intuitive as one might imagine.
Sponsored