First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE,
Occupation
Commercial Aerospace Interiors
As in "a luxury I can't really afford"? I number myself among those that think that. But I do caution prospective buyers who think they are getting a "luxury" vehicle based on the price premium. The price premium is for the tech - not exotic woods and leather trim. Prospective buyers should familiarize themselves with the history of Tesla in this regard. You will find lots of grumbling from Tesla buyers who were quite disappointed in fit, finish and trim given that they had paid "luxury" prices.

Now don't get me wrong. The interior is, from what I can tell at this point, going to be very nice. But don't expect it to be like a Bently. Fit and finish we will see about. Most new car makers seem to have trouble with this at the outset (DeLorean, Tesla).
From what I saw at the Seattle Invitation party last Fall - Rivian Interiors can complete with the best of interiors - now have I sat in a Bentley or a Lamborghini? No. But I have driven Jaguars, Mercedes, Range Rovers, Volvo and others of that ~$70-90k level - and the Rivian I saw in Seattle looked so much nicer!

I have high hopes for Rivian and I trust that will take the opportunity to learn from Tesla's mistakes when it comes to delivery issues. This is me saying Come on Rivian!!
Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
exactly why i posed the question. if rivian could deliver at 50-55k, cloth or fake leather interior, navi and 400hp, 300 miles of range with quick charging... they'd kill ice trucks. then the sunroof, full self drive, "Bentley" quality interior, cooled seats, more hp, more range, etc can be higher models to compete with denali, escalade, etc levels... then they would dominate. cybertruck/hummer/lourdestown/ nikola, etc bye, bye!
Well, 55 would be the low-range model. 65k feels conservative for the base trim, but it's hard to guess what RJ meant by "well-equipped" or how much an electrochromic roof option costs given how rare of an option it is.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I'll just through out there that the loaded "non luxury" mid size suvs (explorers, etc) are approaching 70k this year and still selling strong too.

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Well, 55 would be the low-range model. 65k feels conservative for the base trim, but it's hard to guess what RJ meant by "well-equipped" or how much an electrochromic roof option costs given how rare of an option it is.
So the pricing is somewhat revealed, and seems pretty reasonable to me. $70k for the no option 135kwh suv, or 77k with premium sound and interior, or around $70k after the fed tax rebate.
Even better news, the 135kwh r1t is $67,500 to start, $75,000 “loaded” with premium sound and interior and off-road package.
I’m very happy there’s No absurd $112,000 “launch edition” like hummer did and those of us who want a launch vehicle pay the same as those who buy the premium version after launch.

OP
OP

bigdogrod

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda ridgeline, pre order for cybertruck and r1t
yup, liking (not loving) the new lower pricing. would like to know more about options like sound and navi, would also like to remove toneau cover. spent over 1200 on the ridgline one just to take it to the dump. used it maybe 3 times in 12 years

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
yup, liking (not loving) the new lower pricing. would like to know more about options like sound and navi, would also like to remove toneau cover. spent over 1200 on the ridgline one just to take it to the dump. used it maybe 3 times in 12 years
They mentioned a removable cover that can be stored in the tunnel and also assembled into a camp table.

OP
OP

bigdogrod

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda ridgeline, pre order for cybertruck and r1t
nice if it were option. higher versions said power tonneau
Sponsored