Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 nissan leaf, on wait list for R1S
Occupation
dentist
Clubs

Purchased honda odyssey in 2010, rolled mtn bikes in back, didn’t even need bike rack, and hauled family all over, took it camping, so much room, so utilitarian, bought nissan leaf in 2018, love the pep and zippiness all over the city, getting kids to soccer games, etc, knew i could never buy another ICE vehicle. hated getting stuck in the snow at whistler with the minivan, when saw R1S online, instantly knew it was perfect, can throw north shore bike rack on the back, and rip up sea to sky highway from home to whistler for mountain bike days for me and 6 friends!! can’t wait for delivery!! highly utilitarian, but won’t be getting stuck in the snow again!! and so much speedier than the minivan!
Sponsored

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
I’m a car guy. I’ve got an R1S on order because I haven’t encountered the performance of an R1 from any other vehicle in history!

- 0-60 in 3.1 seconds? YES PLEASE!

- Sports-car-esque handling on mountain roads? YES PLEASE!

- Comfortably haul my family of 5 and all our stuff to Moab in a 3-row SUV? YES PLEASE!

- Quietly conquer most of Moab’s toughest trails in a bone-stock factory spec & warrantied vehicle? YES PLEASE!

- Spend a few bucks on charging vs. ever-rising gas prices? YES PLEASE!

- get regular OTA updates with new features like camp mode? YES PLEASE!

- Deal directly with the manufacturer instead of a dealership that adds NO VALUE in today’s modern distribution channels? YES PLEASE!

- save the planet?? …well, I’ll call that an “ish.” Is a big, heavy SUV the most efficient way for me to save the planet? Absolutely not. But in terms of big, heavy SUVs, the R1S is one of the most planet-friendly, so “save-the-planet-ISH?” YES PLEASE!
Think you just sold me on the R1S

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
It was the best option on the market for my needs. I needed a truck for taking garbage to the dump, I’m too stubborn to pay for trash collection since I drive right past the dump on my way to work a couple times a week.

So that requirement ruled out SUV’s. Smelly kitchen garbage riding in the same cab as you sucks, especially during summer. I also like sports cars and things that go fast. What’s the fastest truck on the market? The R1T is clearly the winner based on those two requirements.

For a similar price I could have bought a beater truck and a pretty nice sports car but then I’m playing musical vehicles and storing something I only use occasionally and having to drive the beater to work every time I took out garbage. Honestly if the Rivian didn’t exist I would have probably done the beater truck route as the TRX or Raptor R are just as expensive to buy but also are ginormous and wouldn’t fit in my garages. So I’d be parking my 90-110k dollar truck outside and that just seems silly to me.

Plus I test drove a TRX and I would absolutely hate taking that into any sort of city or anywhere that room was tight.
Good choice, sometimes the car you need isn't your dream car. For practical purposes, a fancy sports car isn't the best idea.

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

I'd had a Subaru Baja for 20 years and loved the "micro truck." It served me well, but within the last 10 years I have started riding motorcycles. On some of our family road trips, I wanted to take a motorcycle with me so that I'd have it when we reached our destination, and it simply didn't fit in the bed of the Baja, but also the Baja just kind of sucked for towing.

When I started looking for a new vehicle, I first was looking at ICE vehicles that were more car/suv like with a truck bed (things like the Honda Ridgeline), but nothing felt right, nor did they feel really special. When the Ford Maverick came out, I seriously considered getting the hybrid model, but they were so hard to get a hold of, and impossible to test drive that I kind of gave up on that search. I held my breath for about a year, waiting to see if - with the success of both the Maverick and the Lightning - Ford would release a fully electric Maverick.

I was already familiar with the R1T from watching Long Way Up, so I started really looking at them more closely. Finally, I passed one in downtown Dallas. Seeing it in person for the first time, even if just briefly, pretty much sold me on it and I put down a reservation shortly afterwards. That was in July of 2022. I got my invitation to do a First Mile in August of 2022 and absolutely loved the truck. Admittedly, it's still bigger than I would have preferred (I would like something more Maverick/Outback sized), but I we decided that the size was fine and that we would appreciate having a bigger vehicle.

Delays and estimated releases kept getting longer, but used prices kept coming down. In January of 2023, I still had my reservation in, but had not been invited to the configurator, so we started genuinely investigating used models. We found a dealership in Dallas that was selling three R1Ts for MSRP. We bought the one with the most options from our desired configuration, which also happened to be the one with the lowest miles.

I can honestly say it's still bigger than I would like, but there's nothing I don't love about it. I still haven't loaded up a motorcycle in the back, but as soon as I get a bigger ramp, we're going to try that out. I know it will fit, it's just a lot taller than my old trailer, so my current ramp is not sufficient for loading. We're looking forward to lots of family vacations and road trips in the new-to-me R1T.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Bought a new (70 year old) house. My shitty driveway requires 6" of ground clearance to clear so up until the R1T everything was parked on the street.

This thing fits in my small garage and clears my driveway, also is completely absurd from a usability and performance perspective. It checks all the boxes. Most importantly it clears the driveway lol.

Sponsored

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
EV acceleration in a midsized pickup with decent handling and great looks.

Bonus has been EV operational costs savings, great audio system, great interior, and more storage space than I ever could have imagined...in a midsized pickup.
It has everything a good pickup needs plus EV! I see why you love it.

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We had an old/trusty Tacoma that got terrible gas mileage and was due for some heavier maintenance. My dream was a 6mt 997.2 Carrera S, but the prices for those went hyperbolic around the pandemic and the 911s I was looking at were coming close to the price of a brand new R1T (factoring in tax credit). I couldn’t justify spending that much on a 10+ year old car that would still require significant running costs. The R1T solves the maintenance/running cost problem and also allowed me to offload the Tacoma so we’re not insuring/registering 3 vehicles. Our experience with the Model Y has been amazing, so we felt comfortable to go all in on electric.
That's great to hear! Sounds like a long journey to finding the right fit.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Quad motors 😉
Sponsored