SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

It is very interesting that VW plans to revive the Scout as an EV offering. Scout is a very storied brand. Fifty years ago Scouts were the primary vehicles used by the US Border Patrol in all of their enforcement activities on both the Northern and Southern Borders. Those Scouts could make it through about anything. Of course, in those days, they were a product of International Harvester.

I guess we'll see how good a job VW does with the new Scout. I hope that VW will include some styling cues from the old Scout.

Brian

Jacopa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Styling is one thing, and they are probably gonna look really cool. But the battery pack, BMS, software, engineering, charging stats are totally another case, which, I for one hope VW gets right. The first swing of the bat with the ID's has been a swing and a miss for the most part.

Most everyone here should realize now how important the engineering really is in the BEV world. I definitely would not be first in line to buy one of these just on sheet metal.

2or4Wheels

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID 4 AWD, BMW X5 M
Occupation
Undisclosed
Styling is one thing, and they are probably gonna look really cool. But the battery pack, BMS, software, engineering, charging stats are totally another case, which, I for one hope VW gets right. The first swing of the bat with the ID's has been a swing and a miss for the most part.

Most everyone here should realize now how important the engineering really is in the BEV world. I definitely would not be first in line to buy one of these just on sheet metal.
As a 2021 ID 4 owner I can attest to the swing and a miss, if not a strikeout.

Sponsored

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
I am hopeful, but not optimistic. I am a little biased though. My understanding is that the truck will be a full size pickup and the SUV will be midsize.

Rivian R1T R1S VW: Scout EV SUV and Pickup 20240316_101849

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

While I love my Rivian, this is where a company like VW is making a mistake. They should buy Rivian, let RJ continue with the funding they can provide and pull his tech into the Audi/VWs. Imagine a company like Rivian with the guidance of a company that builds that many cars.

First Name
Lothar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Quad R1T , VW ID4, Tacoma
Occupation
Project Manager
While I love my Rivian, this is where a company like VW is making a mistake. They should buy Rivian, let RJ continue with the funding they can provide and pull his tech into the Audi/VWs. Imagine a company like Rivian with the guidance of a company that builds that many cars.
VW would just slow down Rivian on anything which matters. They are a slow moving dinosaur when it comes to creating technologically advanced cars. I can only imagine that VW would get in the way of any big decision making.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Ugh. No.

Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

WorldComposting

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.worldcomposting.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Subaru Ascent
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

While I'm not opposed to Rivian being bought out VW is one of the few companies I don't want to purchase them. VW is slow to change and would focus on cutting costs instead of building better products. I know a lot of people who love VWs but I also know a lot who had nothing but issues.

In the end if VW bought them they would meddle to much with the product and Rivian would become another VW derivative instead of being different.

As much as VW keeps talking about Scout I see it being a shell of what it once was and being essentially an ID4 with a few offroad upgrades. But nothing that would be a real contender.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

VW would just slow down Rivian on anything which matters. They are a slow moving dinosaur when it comes to creating technologically advanced cars. I can only imagine that VW would get in the way of any big decision making.
While I'm not opposed to Rivian being bought out VW is one of the few companies I don't want to purchase them. VW is slow to change and would focus on cutting costs instead of building better products. I know a lot of people who love VWs but I also know a lot who had nothing but issues.

In the end if VW bought them they would meddle to much with the product and Rivian would become another VW derivative instead of being different.

As much as VW keeps talking about Scout I see it being a shell of what it once was and being essentially an ID4 with a few offroad upgrades. But nothing that would be a real contender.
I am not saying I want this just stating VW shouldn't start a new brand, it will take too much time. VW is an odd company. Keep in mind they own Porsche, Lambo, Audi, VW, Ducati, Bugatti, SEAT, Skoda. Look at the evolution of the Taycan, the one that was just released, I believe 3 years after the initial release. It is way faster, has a nice range boost. That isn't VW it is Porsche, being allowed to do what they do best. Not saying VW is perfect at all, just with all their other brands don't make a new one, fix VWs and Audi EVs, adding Rivian to the mix would help them do that.

Once again; I do not want VW to buy Rivian.

Bob Steele

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Taycan, 2022 Defender, 2020 Defender
Occupation
Architect
Sadly, VW swings and misses on a lot of their line, not just EV. They do have the pinache of the bus and the bug that pull at certain heart strings though. And to think they have a link to Porsche - the engineering of the Taycan and soon to come Macan EV's are notable. 800 volt architecture allows me to charge my Taycan in ridiculously short times compared to my R1T. I sense that IF Rivian can bring the R2 and R3 to market before a lot of these other EV prototypes, many other brands will shelve plans. Consider Land Rover beating the INEOS to market by 3 years - the sales figures speak to the need to beat your competition to market.
Sponsored