VW Bringing Back "Scout" Competitor for Rivian

MarvinG

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Looks nice from the side but I feel like I saw rendering of a VW truck recently from the front that looked kinda.... well not my thing.

Personally I think VW has a lot of work to do to modernize their software engineering culture too (which could be doable in a spinoff), but they will sell lots of EVs regardless.
Why the software engineering? I find their software pretty OK tbh... Or do you mean in terms of innovation by adding new features etc.?
Sponsored

MarvinG

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
If they bring back the plaid upholstery count me in.
To be honest I'm having a hard time imagining a scout-like EV... The only thing I can think of is a retro hipsterish car, where such features as the plaid upholstery might fit in quite well.

Still on the fence though on how this can materialize and what the use cases really are. Who would buy such a car? For what purpose? Would they use it as an actual RUV for trailing etc. or more for city cruising?

MarvinG

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Grandpa’s best friend had a Scout he’d drive over to the house. I loved it. If it evokes any emotion of the classic I’ll have to sell my Rivian I haven’t driven yet 🥸…
May I ask what you use your Rivian mainly for? Mainly work commutes or do you also do outdoorsy stuff? Is that what you'd be looking for in an EV scout?

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
May I ask what you use your Rivian mainly for? Mainly work commutes or do you also do outdoorsy stuff? Is that what you'd be looking for in an EV scout?
Many of us in the US use the same vehicle for commuting during the week and for the drive to the mountains one holiday where we need a capable vehicle for dirt roads, snow, mud, water. This Scout would seem to fit the light off road, mid-sized SUV segment occupied by the very popular Bronco relaunch, Cherokee, etc…

Sponsored

MarvinG

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Man it would be great to have another electric off-roader. I really want the rivian but competition certainly wouldn’t hurt, and this is more what we need than the full size truck offerings that are coming out.
You mean because of weight and range issues that come with bigger trucks? I guess it depends on what you wanna do with them. I'm curious whether offroading will still work with EVs. I do hope it will, but I have a feeling it'll be a stretch when you look at the costs of laying out infrastructure to those areas which are often off the grid.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I could see using it as a hipster weekender vehicle and everyday commuter. Trips to garden center, weekend trips to Wisconsin/Michigan (I'm in Chicago). My wife prefers an SUV driving position and a smaller size makes it more versatile.

BoisVert

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A truck
If Scout does proper research and builds a real electric truck with a fixed roof, 300 miles range, and 35s from factory with air suspension (2” lift), they’ll sell tons of these.

Essentially, a Rivian and Bronco baby. 🤤

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

If Scout does proper research and builds a real electric truck with a fixed roof, 300 miles range, and 35s from factory with air suspension (2” lift), they’ll sell tons of these.

Essentially, a Rivian and Bronco baby. 🤤
Hopefully properly delivered to preorder holders
Sponsored