Very disappointing snow experience

joelster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
What I have learned from driving my R1T in slippery conditions: don't take your foot off of the accelerator. Both times that I lost control happened when I took my foot off of the accelerator. Both times, when I put my foot back on the accelerator I regained control.

That said, before next winter I plan to get some studded snow tires.
Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
100% guarantee you would come back and say the same things. Again, you miss the point. Talk to R.I.P. He can tell you the point.
No lol, I give up.
🤷

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
What I have learned from driving my R1T in slippery conditions: don't take your foot off of the accelerator. Both times that I lost control happened when I took my foot off of the accelerator. Both times, when I put my foot back on the accelerator I regained control.

That said, before next winter I plan to get some studded snow tires.
For sure, the best tires possible and preferably studs help mask the problem.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
100% guarantee you would come back and say the same things. Again, you miss the point. Talk to R.I.P. He can tell you the point.
As a matter of fact, this thread should've never existed in the first place. The point you're trying to make, I understand clearly. If you had snow mode with snow tires and were slipping uncontrollably then everyone here including myself would've said your disappointment was on point. But the fact was that it was not. Your assertions were based on your previous experience driving in snow with little issue, but the assertions were wrong. You were driving a vehicle with no tire traction and you expect it to behave otherwise. And you want me to talk to a guy who said his Tesla with summer tires is far easier to handle on ice than the Rivian with AT tires to explain the point. I give up.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
After towing my trailer down a series of steep curving hills this weekend I’m pretty satisfied with the truck/AT tire combination. Fully loaded at 14,400lbs combined and with just enough throttle to keep the truck out of regen but not accelerating it was a controlled descent down a road that had a layer of snow in top of a layer of freezing rain/ice.

Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
As a matter of fact, this thread should've never existed in the first place. The point you're trying to make, I understand clearly. If you had snow mode with snow tires and were slipping uncontrollably then everyone here including myself would've said your disappointment was on point. But the fact was that it was not. Your assertions were based on your previous experience driving in snow with little issue, but the assertions were wrong. You were driving a vehicle with no tire traction and you expect it to behave otherwise. And you want me to talk to a guy who said his Tesla with summer tires is far easier to handle on ice than the Rivian with AT tires to explain the point. I give up.
Yes... For the love of God, please do.🤦

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

Are there any engineers or very knowledgeable people about 4WD, AWD and drivetrains out there? I keep trying to get this info but no one at Rivian says they know but they have to because the Dual Motor has already been designed. A preface before I ask my very specific question: I had 2 Grand Jeep Cherokee’s over a 30 year period. I believe Jeep invented this system but the Jeep’s had Quadra Drive which allows ALL the horsepower of the engine to go to the “one” wheel that is sensing traction if that is the case. Trust me in that got me out of some tough situations about 10 times in this Jeep years. Now with the Quad Motor Rivian, it has a pseudo Quadra Drive system to keep horsepower to maybe one wheel that is getting traction. My questions are: With the Quad if only wheel is sensing traction, what happens to the horsepower of the other motors? Is that transferred to the one wheel or is it left to the one motor to supply the horsepower to the wheel getting traction? Even more important: with the Dual Motor not having lockers, can all the horsepower of both motors get to the line wheel that is getting traction or is only one motor trying to power that one wheel? The Quadra Drive was completely automatic and was a fabulous system created I think about 30 years ago. Thanks for your help on this very windy question. John Buch [email protected] if you want to email directly

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Are there any engineers or very knowledgeable people about 4WD, AWD and drivetrains out there? I keep trying to get this info but no one at Rivian says they know but they have to because the Dual Motor has already been designed. A preface before I ask my very specific question: I had 2 Grand Jeep Cherokee’s over a 30 year period. I believe Jeep invented this system but the Jeep’s had Quadra Drive which allows ALL the horsepower of the engine to go to the “one” wheel that is sensing traction if that is the case. Trust me in that got me out of some tough situations about 10 times in this Jeep years. Now with the Quad Motor Rivian, it has a pseudo Quadra Drive system to keep horsepower to maybe one wheel that is getting traction. My questions are: With the Quad if only wheel is sensing traction, what happens to the horsepower of the other motors? Is that transferred to the one wheel or is it left to the one motor to supply the horsepower to the wheel getting traction? Even more important: with the Dual Motor not having lockers, can all the horsepower of both motors get to the line wheel that is getting traction or is only one motor trying to power that one wheel? The Quadra Drive was completely automatic and was a fabulous system created I think about 30 years ago. Thanks for your help on this very windy question. John Buch [email protected] if you want to email directly
In the quad, only the max power of the single attached motor can ever go to any one wheel. Now, this is still over 200hp so still pretty good. This seems to be the one semi-major issue with the quad.

I'm not sure on the dual, but I would assume the full power of a single drive unit (300hp) would be able to go to a single wheel. Power will not be able to transfer between axles, however.

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

Thank you so much…that helps for sure. It seems then the disadvantage of the Dual Motor as far as performance goes is mitigated a bit. In fact there would be 300Hp going to the one wheel in my example in the Dual vs 200HP in the Quad but the torques sensing from each motor in the Quad may prevent traction loss in the first place. I think this is very serious info to consider in making the choice in the Dual vs the Quad. No matter what we choose however, the Jeep may beat us up a very sandy hillclimb! 😎 Thank you again, JB

Sponsored

prism7118

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Thank you so much…that helps for sure. It seems then the disadvantage of the Dual Motor as far as performance goes is mitigated a bit. In fact there would be 300Hp going to the one wheel in my example in the Dual vs 200HP in the Quad but the torques sensing from each motor in the Quad may prevent traction loss in the first place. I think this is very serious info to consider in making the choice in the Dual vs the Quad. No matter what we choose however, the Jeep may beat us up a very sandy hillclimb! 😎 Thank you again, JB
Dual motor version is an open diff from what I’ve read if that makes a difference to you.

Last edited:

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

Thank you also. Losing 3/4 of the horsepower is quite a bit if one is not just using the Rivian for speed bumps in LA! )) That info has to go into the equation of what one attempts to challenge off road in the Rivian. JB

utahraptor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 RR Sport, 2022 Raptor
I also live in Utah. We had a record snow year. I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY how well my R1T handled in the snow. I took it through 3 feet deep drifts that my previous trucks would have gotten stuck in, raptor and TRX.

I credit it to the weight of the vehicle, my 20” AT, quad motors, smooth undercarriage, raised suspension, and momentum.
Sponsored