Uptown Normal, Ill. Rivian showcase

Clone

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Honda Odyssey
Hey everyone. New to the forum and to EV's in general, and coming from the a more traditional "car guy" background. I wish I could say I was in a position to put in a reservation on one of these, but unfortunately I'm not at the moment.
I did get to go to the event in Normal as I live just about an hour away in Peoria, and it was pretty cool! They had 3 vehicles there plus the skateboard and some photos from inside the plant.
I'm curious, how many others on here were able to make the event Normal?

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Drat. I was hoping the glass would completely darken. In south Florida, this glass panel will increase the greenhouse effect too much even with the glass darkened.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SpinDoc7

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
One more post. Here's some video of the press conference featuring RJ, the governor and members of the legislative and congressional delegation.

Rhinotjv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tundra, 2018 Highlander Hybrid
Can someone help me understand why they have a Chademo charging port? I had heard several times that they would have a CCS port. I thought CCS was going to be the run away winner of platforms. The EA station recently built near us has I think 11 CCS and one Chademo. Can they be adapted between?

Clone

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Honda Odyssey
Here's some of the pictures I took while I was there. It was exciting to see them in person, though I'm afraid I didn't ask many questions at all, though i did listen to a lot of questions and answers!
Rivian Uptown Normal, Ill. Rivian showcase {filename}

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Can someone help me understand why they have a Chademo charging port? I had heard several times that they would have a CCS port. I thought CCS was going to be the run away winner of platforms. The EA station recently built near us has I think 11 CCS and one Chademo. Can they be adapted between?
That is someone that is uneducated. It is definitely CCS. If you are unfamiliar with CCS or Combined Charging Standard, it is actually 2 different connections. At the top you have the large round connector with 5 holes. That by itself is actually what is referred to as the J1772 plug. All LEVEL 1 and LEVEL 2 Electric Vehicle Safety Equipment(EVSE) or what everyone else calls chargers use J1772. The horizontal pill shape at the bottom with 2 holes defines what is the CCS plug. The Direct Current Fast Charger(DCFC) uses that CCS plug for LEVEL 3 charging. Most EA stations have 1 J1772 LEVEL 1 connection, 1 CHAdeMO plug, and the rest are CCS LEVEL 3. I hope I explained that well enough.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rhinotjv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for clearing that up! Another thing that I think that user got wrong was the cameras in the headlights. I'm pretty sure those are just large LEDs in the center of the ovals.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Thanks for clearing that up! Another thing that I think that user got wrong was the cameras in the headlights. I'm pretty sure those are just large LEDs in the center of the ovals.
My goodness. Those are definitely not cameras but the High and Low beams... WOW!!!

@Rhinotjv, I suggest watching every single Rivian video that RIVIAN puts out on YouTube or the ones by TechCrunch and Jalopnik. TFLTruck is another good one. The rest can be viewed with a healthy bit of skepticism.

Also get on their Instagram if you have one and go to their design story. You will learn a bit there too.

Rhinotjv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My goodness. Those are definitely not cameras but the High and Low beams... WOW!!!

@Rhinotjv, I suggest watching every single Rivian video that RIVIAN puts out on YouTube or the ones by TechCrunch and Jalopnik. TFLTruck is another good one. The rest can be viewed with a healthy bit of skepticism.

Also get on their Instagram if you have one and go to their design story. You will learn a bit there too.
I think I have consumed just about everything out there except for the IG stuff at least once. Besides the plug question I think I am pretty up to speed. I have been pretty active on Reddit but recently joined here as it seems like there is some deeper info being passed around.

Thanks again for the help!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
@jimcgov3 ,
Did you see the pic of the R1S with the front panel open? I really want to know what's back there!

Rivian R1T R1S Uptown Normal, Ill. Rivian showcase FB_IMG_1571084630450