Sponsored

Upfitter switches

Rockstar2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T pre-order, Ford Expedition, Dodge Hellcat
I hope Rivian will have at least a block of 4 upfitter switches like Ford does. These make adding things like lights and Shortwave Radios very easy and minimize the risk of someone wiring things incorrectly. It would also be nice to have an optional radio antenna prewire stubbed out at the box and the cabin under the steering wheel. Most of the guys I meet that do hardcore off roading are using SW radios since cell towers are hard to come by in the boonies.
Sponsored

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
You might do better by contacting Bolinger and discuss a custom build. I really don't believe the Rivian is the right choice for your needs.

OP
OP
Rockstar2020

Rockstar2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You might do better by contacting Bolinger and discuss a custom build. I really don't believe the Rivian is the right choice for your needs.
Actually the Rivian is a perfect fit for my needs. As they market it as the ultimate off road expedition truck. Was just thinking of a few options on my F250 that I would love to see on the Rivian.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I understand. I just thought with your hardcore off roading the R1T might not survive the abuse. Jeeps seem to handle the beating of rock climbing and such that trucks with sheet metal siding are never going to survive. I'm not an off roader and would not pretend to be. There are trails in the Tonto National Forest close by that I would love to take the Rivian on.

OP
OP
Rockstar2020

Rockstar2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I understand. I just thought with your hardcore off roading the R1T might not survive the abuse. Jeeps seem to handle the beating of rock climbing and such that trucks with sheet metal siding are never going to survive. I'm not an off roader and would not pretend to be. There are trails in the Tonto National Forest close by that I would love to take the Rivian on.
No I am not a hard core off roader. Did that years ago in my Jeep and got my fill of broken parts. My Rivian will stay on nice, well groomed dirt roads! Tonto trails would be awesome!

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
It would also be nice to have an optional radio antenna prewire stubbed out at the box and the cabin under the steering wheel.
Antenna 'wire' isn't wire. It's a coaxial cable that comes in two (common) characteristic impedances and which needs to be terminated with connectors of which there are several types (PL-259, BNC, Type-N, SMA...) which must mate with the radio at one end and the antenna at the other. The cables come in a variety of sizes and dielectric types which give them varying levels of power handling capacity and loss vs frequency characteristics. They come with different types of shielding etc. Were this 40 yrs ago a piece of RG-59 with PL-259 (male at one end and female at the other) would cover most installations (CB radio) but today the story is different. Not to mention that different types on antennas are best mounted at different location on a vehicle and, best of all, that antennas introduce drag which is something a BEV manufacturer goes to great lengths to avoid.

OP
OP
Rockstar2020

Rockstar2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Antenna 'wire' isn't wire. It's a coaxial cable that comes in two (common) characteristic impedances and which needs to be terminated with connectors of which there are several types (PL-259, BNC, Type-N, SMA...) which must mate with the radio at one end and the antenna at the other. The cables come in a variety of sizes and dielectric types which give them varying levels of power handling capacity and loss vs frequency characteristics. They come with different types of shielding etc. Were this 40 yrs ago a piece of RG-59 with PL-259 (male at one end and female at the other) would cover most installations (CB radio) but today the story is different. Not to mention that different types on antennas are best mounted at different location on a vehicle and, best of all, that antennas introduce drag which is something a BEV manufacturer goes to great lengths to avoid.
"Prewire" which is the word I used, is a generic term used in the truck and RV business to refer to a run of RG58 coax typically from the drivers side area under the panel to an area where you might install an antenna. Since the antenna is not part of the package there are no drag issues involved until the consumer makes the decision if he/she is willing to trade a minuscule amount of vehicle range loss vs a HF or CB antenna. Just as some Rivian consumers will make the decision to fly a New England Patriots flag from their truck on game day adding drag. Also regarding cable for CB or HF radios, today the story is exactly the same as it was 40 years ago. RG58 works very well for all mobile applications due to the short runs involved. And for reference the RG59 you mentioned is a 75 ohm cable matched for use with TV signals. It was never used for CB radio on purpose. Sorry for the verbose response but I need to clear up your misconceptions. I have been a licensed HAM operator for over 25 years and done around 20+ mobile installations of CB and HF. I don't really expect Rivian to offer a CB/HF radio prewire like the motorized RV company's do but the upfitter switches would be an easy addition. I was just throwing out ideas. Stay Frosty my friend!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I'm a retired electrical engineer with over 40 years of experience and have been a licenced ham and commercial operator for longer than that. Over the course of 50 years designing and installing this stuff from DC to daylight I've picked up a few things. I don't think I have too many misconceptions (though I've probably forgotten a bunch of stuff). For example the impedance of a quarter wave dipole. It's 37.5+j21.25 Ω so RG 58 is a better match.

Are you familiar with the concept of VSWR?

Have you ever checked on how the antennae are installed on a Tesla?

Were you aware that the impedance of a quarter wave dipole over a plane is (see above) Ω?

Did you know that there area other types of radios besides CB and ham?

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
On thinking about it a little I'll back off and even apologize for being a bit snappy in my last post. I'd be fine with a piece of unterminated 58 pulled from somewhere under the dash to a spot on the roof. If I had an exotic application that required Tensolite I could always use the RG-58 as a pull rope.

Sponsored

N8DFetzer

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Rav 4, R1T Launch Edition Green
I hope Rivian will have at least a block of 4 upfitter switches like Ford does. These make adding things like lights and Shortwave Radios very easy and minimize the risk of someone wiring things incorrectly. It would also be nice to have an optional radio antenna prewire stubbed out at the box and the cabin under the steering wheel. Most of the guys I meet that do hardcore off roading are using SW radios since cell towers are hard to come by in the boonies.
Mmmmm touching. I love the idea having something tactile to engage with, and maybe Rivian very well will build in such. Considering that even the HVAC direction will be done through the touchscreen, I have a feeling its more a likelihood that whatever aftermarket options one decides to add will end up interfacing with the Infotainment center.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Considering that even the HVAC direction will be done through the touchscreen, I have a feeling its more a likelihood that whatever aftermarket options one decides to add will end up interfacing with the Infotainment center.
Possibly, but the power distribution or switch/relay box would still be required, so that you'll have a place to wire the accessories & how the switches will control the devices...regardless of whether they are HW or SW switches.

CotoR1TDude

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Would seem there is a solution by now... Anything learned since the last dialogue?
Sponsored