Sponsored

Trip Efficiency Calculation Includes Vampire Drain

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
We've had our R1T for about a month but have only driven 700 miles. I noticed last week that our efficiency on "Trip B" which has the total number of miles since we took delivery seems rather poor. We have been averaging around 1.7 miles/kWh. Our "Trip A" had only about 300 miles on it and had an efficiency of 1.5 miles/kWh.

I thought this was rather odd so I reset the "Trip A" a couple of days ago on my way home from an errand. I only put about 5 miles on the computer after resetting. When I plugged in it was showing about 2.5 miles/kWh. When I went out in the morning the "Trip A" was now showing 0.8 miles/kWh. It appears the trip computers include all energy usage in the running total. So any vampire drain while the vehicle is sitting is included.

I'm not a fan of this method as it doesn't really reflect efficiency on the road which is more important for road trips. Yes it does reflect the total energy usage including all loses, but I'm much less concern about this value.

Hopefully they update the system to allow the option of turning off vampire drain or maybe including additional trip computers that some would track total energy, and some would track just energy used while driving.

Sorry if this was already discussed but I couldn't find a thread which this was covered.
Sponsored

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Or just fix the vampire drain once and for all. The only other calculation for your true efficiency is charging losses.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
For a BEV the energy wasted on vampire drain is ridiculous.

countab45

First Name
aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t white, locked tonneau in open position...
just found this thread. my truck does the same. 100 miles on the odometer and my trip says 1.14 miles per kwh. definitely seeing vampire in the calculation as it goes down the more the truck sits. i guess technically that is the consumption of the life of the vehicle...

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
As long as we’re talking about losses, don’t forget about charging losses from the EVSE to your R1. This is energy your power company delivers to you and your R1 (and charges you for) but never makes it to your battery.
Sponsored