Thoughts on the bottom door design?

Jimbo

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette - BMWs
I've noticed that for both the R1T and R1S - the bottom of the doors seem to have a piece of the bottom door sill molding attached - (see pictures). Not sure if this was done to ensure waterproofing as they trudge through 1 meter of water?
Most vehicles the door closes just above the top of the door sill molding - the sill molding is not part of the door.

Curious what others think of the door design - like it - or don't like it - or doesn't matter?

Rivian R1T R1S Thoughts on the bottom door design? Rivian_R1S SUV_Open Door

Rivian R1T R1S Thoughts on the bottom door design? Rivian_R1T Truck_ Open Door
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Volvo did the same thing with the current gen XC60. The intention was to help keep your pants clean when exiting a dirty vehicle.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I like the thought that it could be a cleanliness idea...but I dont recall seeing an outer dust/water seal so I am not sure how clean that flat surface around the door will be if it doesn't have a secondary outer seal. There may be some structural advantages to that, but I don't have a degree or the expertise so that is pure speculation. The first time I saw that I thought that it looked weird seeing all of the flat surface around the door, but quickly moved on to gawking at the rest of the truck.

Spoonito

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR4, Explorer
Its similar to my LR4. And yes mostly to keep you clean.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
It doesn't really strike me one way or the other.

Interesting observation though, and I'd love to hear from Rivian on why they chose that design.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jimbo

Jimbo

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette - BMWs
Thanks everyone for your reply's and comments!
It did not occur to me that it could be mainly for helping to keep pants/coats/clothing clean when entering/exiting.

I agree with what jimcgov3 mentioned ("The first time I saw that I thought that it looked weird seeing all of the flat surface around the door, but quickly moved on to gawking at the rest of the truck").

My first impression was why did Rivian hang a piece of plastic on the bottom of the door? But the designs of the rest of the truck and SUV quickly distract you. Overall - love what Rivian is doing from an engineering and design marvel!!

GoWest!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & R1S
From a cleanliness or water seal aspect I think it’s brilliant.
Sponsored