Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Considering the same setup.

Could I ask what type of furnace you have and if it worked properly? The flame sensor worked no problem with that transfer switch?

I have a Carrier inifinity furnace with an ECM motor and there is contradicting info online as to what a non pure sine wave inverter like the rivian’s would do to it.

I wish they offered the option for a beefier inverter…
I couldn't tell you which furnace I have I just know the power it needs is only a 15A 120V circuit which I can easily power with either the Rivian or my intermediate Goal Zero 1500X battery system (which does have a slightly beefier inverter).

Do you know the power requirements of your furnace?

Also not sure what info you have about the Rivian's inverter but I think the electricity is clean just the issue is it only outputs 1.5kW max.
Sponsored

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
Most better air handlers are 240V in the U.S.
Not sure that is correct. HVAC equipment in the USA and Canada is pretty much the same and I dont know anyone here who's gas furnace with integrated air handler is 240v... Heat pump sure, but not the furnace. I am only looking to power the furnace in an emergency.

I couldn't tell you which furnace I have I just know the power it needs is only a 15A 120V circuit which I can easily power with either the Rivian or my intermediate Goal Zero 1500X battery system (which does have a slightly beefier inverter).

Do you know the power requirements of your furnace?

Also not sure what info you have about the Rivian's inverter but I think the electricity is clean just the issue is it only outputs 1.5kW max.
Thanks. Mine is a Carrier: https://www.dcne.com/product/carrier-80000-btu-96-2-afue-gas-furnace-59tn6a080v17-14 . 15A and 120V too. Would you know if yours is builder grade or something fancier ie Carrier Infinity/Lennox Signature?

I was under the impression the 1500W inverter on R1's wasnt pure sine wave and that it could be a problem for some appliances. Plenty of videos on line of guys powering their furnaces with inverters... but them always seem to be older models without as many electronics.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Not sure that is correct. HVAC equipment in the USA and Canada is pretty much the same and I dont know anyone here who's gas furnace with integrated air handler is 240v... Heat pump sure, but not the furnace. I am only looking to power the furnace in an emergency.

Thanks. Mine is a Carrier: https://www.dcne.com/product/carrier-80000-btu-96-2-afue-gas-furnace-59tn6a080v17-14 . 15A and 120V too. Would you know if yours is builder grade or something fancier ie Carrier Infinity/Lennox Signature?

I was under the impression the 1500W inverter on R1's wasnt pure sine wave and that it could be a problem for some appliances. Plenty of videos on line of guys powering their furnaces with inverters... but them always seem to be older models without as many electronics.
Nothing fancy but it is made by Lennox and relatively new as my house was built in 2020.

For what its worth I have not had any problems running electronics on my Rivian's inverter, including an induction cooktop, microwave and more.
Sponsored