Sponsored

Tailgate sensor failing; anyone know where it is, or how to workaround it?

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Dry lubed both sides and shut with authority, did not go away. Image on car displays tailgate is closed, but still see the warning. Also in app, says to service tailgate.

With a screwdriver, I’m able to get the passenger side to latch closed. On the drivers side, it will not lock into place. So whatever mechanism is behind that latch seems to be the culprit for me.
Correct. The mechanism back there is plastic, & it breaks easily.

No, seriously, the tailgate latch Assembly is plastic.
😳
Sponsored

fr4c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y, Model 3
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Update, was able to schedule a mobile appointment. They came out and replaced the driver's side latch and everything is now good to go. The tech did mention that he's seen some trucks with latches screwed in too tight causing the latch to not latch properly, but mine was just broken.

Good news is, I no longer have to slam the tailgate to get it to recognized as closed which I had to do since taking delivery.

MrMusAddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analyst
A temporary fix that worked for me; hold the tailgate closed and press the button (and keep holding closed). This cycles the latch and may cause the notification to go away until the next time you open your tailgate.

My SC said that the latches were over torqued at the factory, so they replaced them and torqued then to spec.
Sponsored