Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
This is not me arguing against data privacy - mostly trying to point out that if you don't take this tactic for ALL the data points in your life, there's not much point in taking that tactic for any data points in your life.
A b.s. argument, imo.

Yes, if you care about privacy you should look holistically; however, it's a poor argument to say that if you've allowed data collection in one instance that you can't care about restricting it in another.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
And the seat starts to vibrate......... You'd lose your mind.
I had a Sierra Denali in 2015 that had a vibrating seat. I think they called it SafetyAlert or something like that. No Alexa needed.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Relax. All this probably means is that they integrated with a digital ACH platform like Plaid to handle the transfer of funds from your checking/savings to Rivian digitally.
Exactly. People always seem to think they are handing that info to the company when in actuality itā€™s encrypted with a service like Plaid. Probably safer than using a card at Target

Last edited:

srwaxalot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
WXR. KIA Niro plugin
Exactly. People always seem to think they are handing that info to the company when in actuality itā€™s encrypted with a service like Plaid. Probably after than using a card at Target
I have friends, one in advertising and one sysadmin, for the company that handles the club cards for many of the major retailers. They know everything about you.

I canā€™t remember the full name of the book. It was ā€œBig Data: somethingā€ but it had a chapter about how Target could tell if and how long a woman was pregnant by looking at changes in shopping habits and would send them targeted mailers.

Target was taken to court by the parents of a pregnant teenager because they thought Target has access to her medical records. The court records didnā€™t show exactly what things tipped off Target, but it wasnā€™t just obvious things like you stopped buy feminine hygiene products and stated buying prenatal vitamins.

Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
I have friends, one in advertising and one sysadmin, for the company that handles the club cards for many of the major retailers. They know everything about you.

I canā€™t remember the full name of the book. It was ā€œBig Data: somethingā€ but it had a chapter about how Target could tell if and how long a woman was pregnant by looking at changes in shopping habits and would send them targeted mailers.

Target was taken to court by the parents of a pregnant teenager because they thought Target has access to her medical records. The court records didnā€™t show exactly what things tipped off Target, but it wasnā€™t just obvious things like you stopped buy feminine hygiene products and stated buying prenatal vitamins.
I try to use Apple Pay whenever possible. We only have one card and that is the Citi card from Costco. Iā€™m sure they have plenty of data

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Rivian R1T LE
A few years ago, I applied for positions with Google. As I submitted my resume, I did wonder if that was necessary ā€” this is a company that knows even what diseases Iā€™m searching for on the internet.
(I never got a call back from Googleā€¦ but that hemorrhoid cream has done wonders for me.)

srwaxalot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
WXR. KIA Niro plugin
A few years ago, I applied for positions with Google. As I submitted my resume, I did wonder if that was necessary ā€” this is a company that knows even what diseases Iā€™m searching for on the internet.
(I never got a call back from Googleā€¦ but that hemorrhoid cream has done wonders for me.)
You might have dodged a bullet. This anecdotal but a friend of mine worked in ads at Google 10+ years ago and loved it. He got a offer he couldnā€™t refuse and bounced around all the big boys. Went back to Google a few years later and said it wasnā€™t the same and would rather be back at FBā€¦ shutter.

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Equinox; Toyota 4Runner

That story is from The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. Good book!

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
This is not me arguing against data privacy - mostly trying to point out that if you don't take this tactic for ALL the data points in your life, there's not much point in taking that tactic for any data points in your life.
Just to clarify what I meant:

Depending on Plaid service what Rivian (Company X) pays once you connect the account thru plaid, every time when a new transaction is posted to your checking/savings account Plaid will notify Company X about the transaction via webhooks. Most companies use Plaid only to get account info and account history. For actual ACH transfer they use a bank API or different 3rd party service.

Also, Plaid can/will enhance their identity product with these transactions and sell your info.

I think data collection/privacy policy details only what data is directly collected from the consumer not about what data is obtained thru third parties.

As I mentioned earlier, the moment you change your banking password all the previously established Plaid connections will fail and Plaid can't get the new account history to my knowledge.

Sponsored

AndroidAppBundle

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bianchi
Dear Lord,

Please don't tell me that I have to use Alexa for voice commands. If anything, I want to be able to pick my voice assistant (Siri, Google Assistant).

Please don't tell me I need to login with an Amazon account to use this vehicle. I want to be able to use all the services I have integrated with Google Voice (or Siri). I don't want to use Amazon services to use this vehicle, or the vehicles features.

I am an Amazon shareholder...and even I do not want this. Yes, I love watching Amazon share price go up; no, I do not want an Amazon vehicle

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Just to clarify what I meant:

Depending on Plaid service what Rivian (Company X) pays once you connect the account thru plaid, every time when a new transaction is posted to your checking/savings account Plaid will notify Company X about the transaction via webhooks. Most companies use Plaid only to get account info and account history. For actual ACH transfer they use a bank API or different 3rd party service.

Also, Plaid can/will enhance their identity product with these transactions and sell your info.

I think data collection/privacy policy details only what data is directly collected from the consumer not about what data is obtained thru third parties.

As I mentioned earlier, the moment you change your banking password all the previously established Plaid connections will fail and Plaid can't get the new account history to my knowledge.
Iā€™m definitely more worried about giving my passwords, SSN and vital information to multiple companies than I am about them gathering information on my purchasing or searching habits. If a service like Plaid is sharing the vitals than that is a problem for me

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Sold) 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Web Development
Agreed, Connecting your bank account thru Plaid is one of the worst things as a consumer we can do to our financial privacy.

once connected thru Plaid, companies can regularly get all the transactions, so they can determine how and where we spend money, how we get the money thru the deposits etc.

If I have to connect thru Plaid as the only option, I immediately change the banking password after establishing initial connection. With initial connection, companies can verify itā€™s my account and get the account number and routing number.

Once we change the banking password company canā€™t canā€™t pull the history using plaid.
I've never heard of this Plaid service personally but they definitely do not store your password. That would be a huge security violation and they would probably get in legal trouble since it's also a 3rd party company's login information.
You are likely still being tracked by all these companies that you changed your bank password after. Looking at Plaid's website, you can set up an account with them and modify what information companies are getting.

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
I've never heard of this Plaid service personally but they definitely do not store your password. That would be a huge security violation and they would probably get in legal trouble since it's also a 3rd party company's login information.
You are likely still being tracked by all these companies that you changed your bank password after. Looking at Plaid's website, you can set up an account with them and modify what information companies are getting.
Plaid donā€™t store or get to see your banking password, once you connect they will get a token from the bank to access your account thatā€™s valid until next password change.

setting up account at plaid and modifying what you share etc is just a spin to convince you.

I have used Plaid service at my work.

Last edited:

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I've never heard of this Plaid service personally but they definitely do not store your password. That would be a huge security violation and they would probably get in legal trouble since it's also a 3rd party company's login information. You are likely still being tracked by all these companies that you changed your bank password after. Looking at Plaid's website, you can set up an account with them and modify what information companies are getting.
https://my.plaid.com/help/360043065354-does-plaid-have-access-to-my-credentials

"In many cases, when you link a financial institution to an app via Plaid, you provide your login credentials to us and we securely store them. "
Sponsored