Sponsored

Suggestion on spare tire / wheel for R1T?

iBang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Rivian R1T Adventure
I didn't purchase spare tire/wheel for my R1T. I am not sure if I will ever need it since I don't go off road often but in case I need it I want to buy a spare tire/wheel. I have 20 inch dark rim. Do you guys have any suggestion on how to get the spare tire/wheel cheap? It doesn't have to match my current tire nor wheel. How many of you R1T owners carry spare tire?
Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
There isn't a physics law saying tire punctures can only happen while off-roading. A search of this forum would also reveal many instances of puncture that occurred while in civilization. Road debris. Clipping a curb. Running over a deep pothole at speed. Vandalism. Or even a rebar held over and sticking out of the ground from past construction work.

If you are pre price hike config, you can buy the factory full size spare kit from the Gear Shop at original price. You just need to have that email from Rivian saying they removed it from your config, but would allow you to repurchase at later date. You call the number shown on the product page, you tell the service rep about that email and that you'd like to purchase the kit at original price. They will get that setup and have you add a screenshot of that email to the service ticket (as proof). Mobile service, if available, would be arranged to have it installed. The kit not only include the spare wheel/tire, it also includes a scissor jack and adapter. See illustrations and instructions in the Owner Manual.

If for some strange reason you'd rather not have the factory kit with matching wheel... But rather piece together your own full size kit, you would need to source a compatible wheel (size, bolt pattern, offset and with proper clearance for brakes). You'd also need to source a matching tire. Then, of course, you'd need to source your own jack adapters/pucks and a jack with enough total lift height to get a tire off the ground. There are many threads about jacks and jack adapters.

Lastly, the factory space saver spare for the R1S supposedly fits. You just need to figure out a way to secure it in your R1T's spare well. There are threads with useful info, from those who put together their own full size kits, back when the factory one wasn't available for purchase. Unlike full size spares, you would not drive on this space saver extensively. It's only meant for you to limp home or to the tire shop.

OP
OP

iBang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There isn't a physics law saying tire punctures can only happen while off-roading. A search of this forum would also reveal many instances of puncture that occurred while in civilization. Road debris. Clipping a curb. Running over a deep pothole at speed. Vandalism. Or even a rebar held over and sticking out of the ground from past construction work.

If you are pre price hike config, you can buy the factory full size spare kit from the Gear Shop at original price. You just need to have that email from Rivian saying they removed it from your config, but would allow you to repurchase at later date. You call the number shown on the product page, you tell the service rep about that email and that you'd like to purchase the kit at original price. They will get that setup and have you add a screenshot of that email to the service ticket (as proof). Mobile service, if available, would be arranged to have it installed. The kit not only include the spare wheel/tire, it also includes a scissor jack and adapter. See illustrations and instructions in the Owner Manual.

If for some strange reason you'd rather not have the factory kit with matching wheel... But rather piece together your own full size kit, you would need to source a compatible wheel (size, bolt pattern, offset and with proper clearance for brakes). You'd also need to source a matching tire. Then, of course, you'd need to source your own jack adapters/pucks and a jack with enough total lift height to get a tire off the ground. There are many threads about jacks and jack adapters.

Lastly, the factory space saver spare for the R1S supposedly fits. You just need to figure out a way to secure it in your R1T's spare well. There are threads with useful info, from those who put together their own full size kits, back when the factory one wasn't available for purchase. Unlike full size spares, you would not drive on this space saver extensively. It's only meant for you to limp home or to the tire shop.
Thanks for your detailed suggestion. Unfortunately I purchased my R1T at full pricing so I wouldn't get the pre config pricing. Do you think the price difference is marginal if I purchase tire/wheel at discount tire vs Rivian gear shop?

Forest Edge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I've seen used Rivian wheel/tire/TPMS sensors available here and on Craigslist for prices ranging from $250-500 per wheel. If it's just a spare sitting under the bed then you can buy any size Rivian wheel with 15,000 miles (or whatever) on the tire and it should be fine.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Circus
if I purchase tire/wheel at discount tire vs Rivian gear shop?
Hmm. Spend some time thinking about why one shouldn't do this. As new, Rivian OE wheels are only sold by Rivian. DT wouldn't have it. DT also most likely do not have any wheels that match factory specs. If you don't want mismatched wheels intentionally... the only way to get a matching one is through Rivian or second hand.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sfvR1S

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad Adventure 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
Occupation
CRE
Clubs

I bought a used AT 20" here from a fellow member about a week ago. It wasn't dark like those on my R1S and it's a little scratched, but it's just want I needed. And it was very reasonably priced.

Now I have a compact spare for daily and a full sized spare for off road.

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Performance R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Occupation
Retired
I searched here 3 months for one. Lots available but none nearby and nobody wanted to ship, which I understand. I finally called Rivian and ordered one. The price for a 21” that matches my others totaled $800 which includes the $200 Jack Service Kit, the mounting stud and wingnut, along with a visit from their mobile service to install it.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I searched here 3 months for one. Lots available but none nearby and nobody wanted to ship, which I understand. I finally called Rivian and ordered one. The price for a 21” that matches my others totaled $800 which includes the $200 Jack Service Kit, the mounting stud and wingnut, along with a visit from their mobile service to install it.
People think too much of shipping. For a slngle wheel, sans tire, it's about $50-80. The box can be had for free just by visiting a local wheel/tire shop. With tire, it's about $250 coast-to-coast.

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
People think too much of shipping. For a slngle wheel, sans tire, it's about $50-80. The box can be had for free just by visiting a local wheel/tire shop. With tire, it's about $250 coast-to-coast.
$250 shipping plus $200 (cheapest I saw offered here) for a single used wheel/tire combo is right up there with the $499 Rivian charged me for a new one.

I was trying for used because the Gear Shop lists the tire/wheel at $1095. When I decided to bite the bullet they sent me a work order quote @ $499 plus Jack Kit etc. so I grabbed it.

feifan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green PDM R1T
Clubs

Your spare doesn't necessarily need to match the existing tires/wheels you have (e.g. you can put a compact spare on and limp home; you can do the same with any other slightly-mismatched wheel/tire). My R1T came with 21" wheels; I got a full-size 21" spare from someone on eBay for about $450 shipped. I've since switched to aftermarket 20" wheels and tires with the same diameter as the OEM 21"s, so I've kept that 21" spare.

You could also piece together your own spare by buying one aftermarket wheel and tire and getting the tire mounted at a Discount Tire or local tire shop. EV Sportline (no affiliation) has a lift kit and installation kit if you want the tools to DIY a change.

Sponsored

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

$250 shipping plus $200 (cheapest I saw offered here) for a single used wheel/tire combo is right up there with the $499 Rivian charged me for a new one.

I was trying for used because the Gear Shop lists the tire/wheel at $1095. When I decided to bite the bullet they sent me a work order quote @ $499 plus Jack Kit etc. so I grabbed it.

The Gear Shop Wheel+Tire Spare is the ENTIRE Kit. I'm not saying it's necessarily worth $1095, but bear in mind, it's not just a wheel and a tire--it also has the organization tray, threaded mounting post, jack, Rivians 'jackpuck', breaker bar, and straps for all.

I decided to buy it from Rivian instead of piecing my own together just for time sake--I have seen some on here that are MUCH nicer than Rivians (bottle jacks and snug fit foam). But I just lacked the time and wherewithal to do it myself.

But FWIW, I see no mention in these posts about getting the hardware together--a spare tire alone is pretty useless if you can't actually swap it roadside. So--don't forget about a jack, jack mount adapter for Rivian's mounting points, any stabilizers you might need for side-of-the-road fixturing of your jack, and a breaker bar and proper socket. You might also want a pair of gloves and other accessories to make your life easier.

Good luck! Let us know what you come up with!

OP
OP

iBang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Gear Shop Wheel+Tire Spare is the ENTIRE Kit. I'm not saying it's necessarily worth $1095, but bear in mind, it's not just a wheel and a tire--it also has the organization tray, threaded mounting post, jack, Rivians 'jackpuck', breaker bar, and straps for all.

I decided to buy it from Rivian instead of piecing my own together just for time sake--I have seen some on here that are MUCH nicer than Rivians (bottle jacks and snug fit foam). But I just lacked the time and wherewithal to do it myself.

But FWIW, I see no mention in these posts about getting the hardware together--a spare tire alone is pretty useless if you can't actually swap it roadside. So--don't forget about a jack, jack mount adapter for Rivian's mounting points, any stabilizers you might need for side-of-the-road fixturing of your jack, and a breaker bar and proper socket. You might also want a pair of gloves and other accessories to make your life easier.

Good luck! Let us know what you come up with!
Thanks! I think I will go with the same route. It's just $1000 seems too much for a spare tire kit.

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Thanks! I think I will go with the same route. It's just $1000 seems too much for a spare tire kit.
Here is my work order from the Gear Shop to give you something to compare to as you build out a spare tire kit:

Rivian R1T R1S Suggestion on spare tire / wheel for R1T? Spare Tire.PNG

OP
OP

iBang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you! You are lucky you have 21" wheel which would be cheaper than my 20" dark wheel.