Sponsored

Steps - can we talk about steps

Insureit1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Okay almost two week sinto ownership and having a big issue. My wife is about 5'4" (short legs) and is having a really hard time getting into and out of the Rivian. I put the suspension in the lowest setting and still not low enough. Plus there are no A pillar grab handles to assist. While for some this may not be a big issue, for others this is a major issue. And yes, we have had multiple trucks and SUV's and never an issue because most have had steps and/or grab handles. Has anyone come across and steps or running boards for the R1T yet? Or an option to add a grab handle. Already hearing grumblings the truck may have to go if this cannot be addressed some how.
Sponsored

SecretService

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Granite R1T with 22” black wheels
Occupation
New home sales
Okay almost two week sinto ownership and having a big issue. My wife is about 5'4" (short legs) and is having a really hard time getting into and out of the Rivian. I put the suspension in the lowest setting and still not low enough. Plus there are no A pillar grab handles to assist. While for some this may not be a big issue, for others this is a major issue. And yes, we have had multiple trucks and SUV's and never an issue because most have had steps and/or grab handles. Has anyone come across and steps or running boards for the R1T yet? Or an option to add a grab handle. Already hearing grumblings the truck may have to go if this cannot be addressed some how.
Following… steps would be amazing but I think the glaring issue is Rivian putting the only grab handle in a completely useless place for getting in and out.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
I’m 6’ and I still want steps. No matter the height it’s annoying to get in and I keep kneeing the wheel or dash.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Yes, this has been a common complaint among owners.

The worst case scenario? You can flip the R1T for a tidy profit.

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I am surprised that a retractable step wasn’t included as standard. But, then again given the execution of the power tonneau, maybe that was a good thing.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

You might have tried this, but my wife is also 5'4" and moving the seat itself into the lowest setting helped a good amount as well. But, yes, it's a hassle and as soon as I see some rock sliders that look well engineered I'm picking them up. Not so much interested in just straight up running boards.

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

I think about this a lot, especially that picture posted on https://stories.rivian.com/sizing-up-the-r1s

Rivian R1T R1S Steps - can we talk about steps 1660273844518

My concern is really more for elderly people (i.e., parents) that may struggle getting in and out also.

Hoping for "kneel mode" to help with this, if it ever comes out. Or a nice after-market running board.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
You might have tried this, but my wife is also 5'4" and moving the seat itself into the lowest setting helped a good amount as well. But, yes, it's a hassle and as soon as I see some rock sliders that look well engineered I'm picking them up. Not so much interested in just straight up running boards.
Since you have your truck, can you identify any way that "real sliders" could be attached? By "real", I mean sliders that could bear the full weight of the truck dropping from say 6" inches?

I suppose I need to look at the Munro tear downs again. But I don't recall much detail on the "protection" and how that might play into the problem.

Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I am
Since you have your truck, can you identify any way that "real sliders" could be attached? By "real", I mean sliders that could bear the full weight of the truck dropping from say 6" inches?

I suppose I need to look at the Munro tear downs again. But I don't recall much detail on the "protection" and how that might play into the problem.
I am in no way qualified to make that evaluation.

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
My mom wasn't able to get in my R1T. :(

She can get in my RAM 1500.... thanks to the running boards and the placement of the grab handle. I'm not sure I'd buy running boards for the rare cases it would be nice to have her get in... but it's also weird that I have to take the bigger, taller truck in those cases.

Deleted member 6990

Steps in the future are a must. When getting out sometimes if your foot hits the weatherstrip, it will come loose and crimp when closing the door. Not attached firmly.

rkalbiar

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T , 2024 Rivian R1S
Steps in the future are a must. When getting out sometimes if your foot hits the weatherstrip, it will come loose and crimp when closing the door. Not attached firmly.
I have that same problem! Super annoying!