Sponsored

State EV Fees -

Riv_Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I don't think any of the other states I've lived in have charged a usage/ownership tax annually...the sales tax was enough for them.
Add Missouri to the list of states that tax personal property (cars, boats, etc.). Our Model 3 was $1100 the first year we had it, so it won't surprise me if the R1S is around $2k
Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Virginia has it too for about $200. Something new I saw though is we just renewed the registration on a little 4 cylinder Ford Escape last week and got hit with a "fuel efficient vehicle fee" because it gets over 25 mpg haha...

Of course we get hit with a property tax on every vehicle in addition to income tax, sales tax, registration, inspection ,etc and a lot of the roads around here at HOT (High Occupancy Toll) roads
Isn't that some fine crap, being charged extra because you have a fuel efficient vehicle.

Brian

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Anyone in the People's Republic of California want to chime in? I haven't had my renewal yet but I bet it's going to be one of the highest in the US.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Isn't that some fine crap, being charged extra because you have a fuel efficient vehicle.

Brian
They do the same in Oregon. The idea is more fuel efficient vehicles pay less gas taxes (per mile driven) so it is graduated inside the registration fee, and also applies to EVs.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
Someone needs to pay for the roads and registration fees like this are probably the least invasive way to make up the difference in state and federal gas taxes.

Mileage-based fees wouldn't address interstate travel. This is obviously a bigger problem in smaller states in the Northeast than California or Texas. Government GPS tracking is a political non-starter in the USA.

Index the EV fees to curb weight and call it a day. This would encourage lighter vehicles that would be more efficient and safer for pedestrians.

Sponsored

Fencer

First Name
Vlad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
govt
$338 to renew in Utah wondering what Wyoming is charging.

Kamster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlanders
Can't wait to get my R1S, Between VA taxes, the Highway Usage Fee should be a fun check to write. Electric are exempt from emissions inspections but still must have annual safety inspections, again depending on where you live, some places in the state require safety inspections every 3 years. go figure.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Anyone in the People's Republic of California want to chime in? I haven't had my renewal yet but I bet it's going to be one of the highest in the US.
Mine was $1141.

Reactions: SDH

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad
Missouri charges $100/yr. However you can just choose not to get the sticker.

When I had my Focus Electric the DMV would say "You need this sticker it's $100". I just politely said no and they said ok and let me on my way. I'd get a letter from the state every 6 months saying that if I was caught it was a $500 fine. No cops had any clue what it was back in 2015 when EVs were really rare.

Now I register in MT so no sticker required but they do charge extra on the registration. The sales/personal property tax saved is worth it!

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone have any AZ registration fees? Looking at buying an R1T soon and figured it'll be around $1400.
Pretty simple: New cars are taxed 2.80% on 60% of their MSRP in Arizona.

They used to give EVs an exemption, I registered my Mach E for 5 years for just $75. Last year that went away.

Sponsored

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
Missouri charges $100/yr. However you can just choose not to get the sticker.

When I had my Focus Electric the DMV would say "You need this sticker it's $100". I just politely said no and they said ok and let me on my way. I'd get a letter from the state every 6 months saying that if I was caught it was a $500 fine. No cops had any clue what it was back in 2015 when EVs were really rare.

Now I register in MT so no sticker required but they do charge extra on the registration. The sales/personal property tax saved is worth it!
I was going to suggest Montana registration via a LLC. May come to that point for me but Idaho is still doing OK on ev fee…. It’s not outrageous yet

superfly_snook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Glacier White
If the purpose of taxes is to both drive behavior AND generate revenue then a mileage/use tax on EVs doesn’t make sense as it would discourage people who will actually drive a lot from purchasing EVs.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I’m happy to pay my share for road maintenance. I don’t get too worked up about how they calculate “fair”, as long as there’s some reasonable basis.

What actually annoys me is that gas taxes haven’t collected enough for o fund road maintenance for decades. Road repairs are subsidized by all the other taxes out there along with debt. I’d rather we stuck with the idea that gas taxes + registration fees should pay with the associated road infrastructure.

I think we’d be making very different choices about transportation overall if we were paying the true cost of road maintenance.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Also just a head's up in case it happens to you. I did not get my registration renewal in the mail like normal. I'm guessing it had something to do with the company that Rivian hires to do the reg. I had to contact the DMV during the month of the renewal and they had to prepare the documents for me via email.

mcupp40

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Can't wait to get my R1S, Between VA taxes, the Highway Usage Fee should be a fun check to write. Electric are exempt from emissions inspections but still must have annual safety inspections, again depending on where you live, some places in the state require safety inspections every 3 years. go figure.
I'm in VA. Just taxes were $2k. Registration was ~$200
Sponsored