Sleep Cycle sometimes better than Restart Vehicle

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Mach E GT
Clubs

TLDR: We had a software anomaly preventing R1T from going into gear (would not leave Park), and a sleep cycle fixed it, not 2 attempts at Restarting the Vehicle (left thumb control and hazard light).

Longtime lurker, first new thread. My husband and I received our R1T in November, and have been loving it. Our last decade of ownership comparisons are Model S, Model 3, Model Y, and Mach E GT. Just have to say how terrible Tesla build quality is, the Ford and Rivian were breaths of fresh air with build quality, they were both excellent.

This past weekend, R1T was non-responsive to vehicle brake pedal startup, and thus, would not leave park. Screens were all active. At first there were a few telltales on the instrument cluster, we attempted our own Restart of the Vehicle (left thumb control and hazard light). After the vehicle was fully rebooted, the same telltales were present. Strangely there were no notifications in the center screen, and HVAC was non-operational, and not responsive to the power-on button.

We called Rivian tech support, and the excellent John asked us to complete another Vehicle Restart with him. I notified we had just done a Vehicle Restart before calling, but he said no problem to attempt it again. After the 2nd restart, more telltales appeared, HVAC still non-op, and as John and I spoke, the telltales were growing every 30 seconds. Eventually, we had a full house of telltales at the bottom of the screen, as pictured below.

Rivian R1T R1S Sleep Cycle sometimes better than Restart Vehicle IMG_0518

John was preparing to setup a tow, as the R1T was in our alley of alley loading homes, and it was also blocking our only other vehicle. Then, he asked for 2 minutes to speak to a technician who was helping him. He came back on the line and asked before the tow, if we had 30 minutes to attempt a sleep cycle. We said yes, so we took the keys away from the truck, turned off bluetooth on our iPhones, I put the key fob in a faraday cage bag.

John called back exactly at 30 minutes, and we went back to the truck, and low and behold, the telltales were gone, and below the PRND, there was a message saying press brake to startup. Before we did that John had us immediately complete a 3rd Vehicle Restart per the technician’s advice. The HVAC had resumed functioning, and after the vehicle finished booting up, only a tire pressure monitor telltale remained. With John from tech support on the phone we took the vehicle for a short drive, and after 2-3 minutes the tire pressure system telltale was gone, tire pressures were reporting, and the vehicle was back to normal.

Conclusion: If you find yourself self-solving for a technical problem, don’t forget that the sleep cycle can be, in at least one situation, more powerful than a vehicle restart. I hope the software team figures out why that might be and incorporates a fix into the Vehicle Restart process to not have to wait 30 minutes for a sleep cycle for some problems.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Thanks for the details. I have seen a couple of situations like this in recent months though with not nearly as many issues as you experienced.

It seems they have nerfed the full reset in one of the recent updates and that the full reset is no longer a full reset. It used to be more effective but erased all vehicle logs in the process which I guess is why the changed it.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
Thanks for sharing... good info to have - especially if stranded. My R1T had very similar problem. The reset/sleep cycle would sometimes correct the refusal to shift into Drive - but only temporarily. Eventually, it had to go to Service Center for replacement of a "corrupt module". YMMV.

Huchen_Dong

First Name
Dong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
TLDR: We had a software anomaly preventing R1T from going into gear (would not leave Park), and a sleep cycle fixed it, not 2 attempts at Restarting the Vehicle (left thumb control and hazard light).

Longtime lurker, first new thread. My husband and I received our R1T in November, and have been loving it. Our last decade of ownership comparisons are Model S, Model 3, Model Y, and Mach E GT. Just have to say how terrible Tesla build quality is, the Ford and Rivian were breaths of fresh air with build quality, they were both excellent.

This past weekend, R1T was non-responsive to vehicle brake pedal startup, and thus, would not leave park. Screens were all active. At first there were a few telltales on the instrument cluster, we attempted our own Restart of the Vehicle (left thumb control and hazard light). After the vehicle was fully rebooted, the same telltales were present. Strangely there were no notifications in the center screen, and HVAC was non-operational, and not responsive to the power-on button.

We called Rivian tech support, and the excellent John asked us to complete another Vehicle Restart with him. I notified we had just done a Vehicle Restart before calling, but he said no problem to attempt it again. After the 2nd restart, more telltales appeared, HVAC still non-op, and as John and I spoke, the telltales were growing every 30 seconds. Eventually, we had a full house of telltales at the bottom of the screen, as pictured below.

IMG_0518.jpeg

John was preparing to setup a tow, as the R1T was in our alley of alley loading homes, and it was also blocking our only other vehicle. Then, he asked for 2 minutes to speak to a technician who was helping him. He came back on the line and asked before the tow, if we had 30 minutes to attempt a sleep cycle. We said yes, so we took the keys away from the truck, turned off bluetooth on our iPhones, I put the key fob in a faraday cage bag.

John called back exactly at 30 minutes, and we went back to the truck, and low and behold, the telltales were gone, and below the PRND, there was a message saying press brake to startup. Before we did that John had us immediately complete a 3rd Vehicle Restart per the technician’s advice. The HVAC had resumed functioning, and after the vehicle finished booting up, only a tire pressure monitor telltale remained. With John from tech support on the phone we took the vehicle for a short drive, and after 2-3 minutes the tire pressure system telltale was gone, tire pressures were reporting, and the vehicle was back to normal.

Conclusion: If you find yourself self-solving for a technical problem, don’t forget that the sleep cycle can be, in at least one situation, more powerful than a vehicle restart. I hope the software team figures out why that might be and incorporates a fix into the Vehicle Restart process to not have to wait 30 minutes for a sleep cycle for some problems.
When you say a few telltales on the instrument cluster,is there Critical Battery Issue pop-ups?

Rivian R1T R1S Sleep Cycle sometimes better than Restart Vehicle 6d1a048f84cf4eace15d343128b226f

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

if we had 30 minutes to attempt a sleep cycle. We said yes, so we took the keys away from the truck, turned off bluetooth on our iPhones, I put the key fob in a faraday cage bag.
So, it this how one induces a sleep cycle on an R1? There really should just be a button either on the touchscreen (to go to sleep in 30 or 60 seconds or something so one has time to exit) or in the app. The wake button in the app should also have some more consistency. For me, it appears inconsistently. I bet this would help a lot with vampire drain.

What faraday cage bag are you using? I've tried putting my key fob in one without much success, but that was before my frunk sensor preventing sleep issue was diagnosed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AdventureIsOutThere
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Mach E GT
Clubs

When you say a few telltales on the instrument cluster,is there Critical Battery Issue pop-ups?

6d1a048f84cf4eace15d343128b226f.jpg
We did not see any of these warning cards. Only the small tell tale icons across the bottom. Did yours come back after a sleep without any of these?

OP
OP
AdventureIsOutThere
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Mach E GT
Clubs

So, it this how one induces a sleep cycle on an R1? There really should just be a button either on the touchscreen (to go to sleep in 30 or 60 seconds or something so one has time to exit) or in the app. The wake button in the app should also have some more consistency. For me, it appears inconsistently. I bet this would help a lot with vampire drain.

What faraday cage bag are you using? I've tried putting my key fob in one without much success, but that was before my frunk sensor preventing sleep issue was diagnosed.
Totally agree sleep cycle should be easier. A complete reboot should be just as powerful as a sleep cycle. That’s for Rivian software engineers to improve.

I purchased a faraday/key bag from Amazon and it does prevent signal for each key fob and respective car that we have.

Huchen_Dong

First Name
Dong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
We did not see any of these warning cards. Only the small tell tale icons across the bottom. Did yours come back after a sleep without any of these?
I try a sleep cycle,the warning is still there and I cannot put in drvie...
Sponsored