Tampa R1T

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

So, I dropped the R1T off to get window / windshield film, and gave them the keyfob. A few hours later, I checked its location, and both Apple Map & Google map showed it inside a building at the expected location.

But a few hours later, the vehicle's location on both Apple Map & Google map was 20 miles away from where I left it. When I called them asking if the truck had wandered off, they said it was still in their back building, and they sent a picture of it inside the building.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You can check the mileage remotely too, and that updates constantly.

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Poor GPS signal inside said building?

OP
OP

Tampa R1T

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

The company's parking lot is normally filled with exotic and highly expensive cars. So I would think that if they were taking liberties with vehicles, it would have already been noticed by now... and those vehicles' owners would find somewhere else to spend their money.

It's just strange that the truck's location was inside the building... and now its showing it somewhere else.

I got the 2023.10.1 update last night, but how could that generate false location data? I've never seen the location false before.

And the picture they sent was time stamped just after I called them 5 minutes after the location was shown 20 miles away.

Sponsored

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

I had this happen to my vehicle last fall when it was transported via a 3rd party company to the service center because of the torque recall. Mine was one of the lucky few. Checked its location about an hour into its trip and it was about where I expected it would be. Checked later in the day and it was about 70 miles from the service center where I would expect it to be. This new location was near the towing company's yard. Got on a call with Rivian support and they were able to get in touch with the service center and confirmed it was in their lot. I didn't get any definitive explanation as to why there was such a discrepancy. Their best guess was that the vehicle wasn't put into transport mode and it made the GPS behave oddly. I don't buy it, but thats what they gave as a guess.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I wonder if they connect to the SC's wifi? If so, it could be guessing location based on the router's IP address or MAC address, rather than GPS. This is a common problem with wifi networks at e.g. conference venues.

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
I had this happen to my vehicle last fall when it was transported via a 3rd party company to the service center because of the torque recall. Mine was one of the lucky few. Checked its location about an hour into its trip and it was about where I expected it would be. Checked later in the day and it was about 70 miles from the service center where I would expect it to be. This new location was near the towing company's yard. Got on a call with Rivian support and they were able to get in touch with the service center and confirmed it was in their lot. I didn't get any definitive explanation as to why there was such a discrepancy. Their best guess was that the vehicle wasn't put into transport mode and it made the GPS behave oddly. I don't buy it, but thats what they gave as a guess.
My R1T went for a flatbed ride. Location updates were very delayed and didn't make much sense. It still displayed as being less than 10 miles from where it was picked up even after it arrived at the service center hundreds of miles away.

OP
OP

Tampa R1T

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Did your app ever return to showing the correct location?

Sponsored

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
My R1T went for a flatbed ride. Location updates were very delayed and didn't make much sense. It still displayed as being less than 10 miles from where it was picked up even after it arrived at the service center hundreds of miles away.
Did your app ever return to showing the correct location?
I've had similar experience checking location while R1T is being hauled. There must be something about moving the truck while it sleeps that gets it out-of-sync with GPS system.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I have had some strange location stuff a few times myself. Once they had to tow it to Atlanta and it said it was halfway there for a week then it corrected itself right before they brought it back.

OP
OP

Tampa R1T

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

So I called support, and they checked the signal strength - said it was -80 - and that a metal roof might cause the GPS to fail, so the app will report the last known location. its probably showing the near cell tower.

So when the truck leaves the shop, GPS should reconnect.
Sponsored