Manufiore

First Name
Manu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 Tesla Model X, 2021 BMW X3 30e
FYI

- Rivian is launching a technical service bulletin for some model year 2022 and 2023 R1T and R1S
vehicles. In some situations, the driver may notice a slight vibration or oscillation of the steering
wheel at 70 mph or above, causing a perceived quality issue. Steering function is not affected.
Upon customer complaint of a vibrating steering wheel, Rivian will replace the steering wheel
with a version that is less prone to vibration.
Hi to all,
Anyone here still experiencing SW vibration-shaky feedback after multiple attempts to fix ?

I have a '23 R1S since September from SJ with 20 AT. Did 4 times all tire balancing between AmericaTire (twice), local independent shop, and BigBrandTire. Road force showed at least one bad Pirelli with lots of weight. Rivian took vehicle after long wait and said they had rebalanced tires. Took car back two days later but problem still there. Wait 2 more weeks and got mobile service to replace SW and also replaced an entire alloy wheel and tire from his vehicle. Vibration still there from 30MPH, especially bad above 70mph.
To me this almost feels like its not just the AT tires as with any road imperfection I get way too much feedback on the SW.
Second attempt to get R1S to SC and this time they gave me an R1T loaner with 21inch wheels, just as bad vibration on that truck SW so I got a bit hopeless by then. A Week later I am told Rivian replaced two tires and one alloy wheel (again) and fixed the issue. I get my R1S back but unfortunately the problem is still there just like day one.
Pretty crazy disappointing.

1-6-24 Update
My local mechanic had my R1S on the lift for 5 minutes and found front driver side cv axle badly shaking at the boot with gear box, making clunk noise and moving with a lot of play in all directions. Passenger side is nice and tight. My R1S was towed to Rivian SC in San Jose for the 4th time. You would think they will get this fixed now?

The sad truth is that these vehicles (I own a Model X with same problems) are heavy and have high torque and regenerative braking that stresses components more than they are designed for. So they will wear prematurely.
Sponsored

Last edited:

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I regularly drive on pretty crummy roads, so I do expect feedback through the wheel. That said, The feedback/shake from the R1 wheel is a bit disappointing. I have just passed it off as "one of those things" with the vehicle, but if a weighted wheel is available I might give that a try.

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

Anyone know if this is still an ongoing issue or have the corrected it with the latest builds?

Manufiore

First Name
Manu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 Tesla Model X, 2021 BMW X3 30e
I gave my R1S back through the BBB buy back program. Lemon. Bye bye. All things attempted to fix it and still vibrating. My cv axle driver side was wobbly but Rivian didn't do anything to it and claimed other at the service center had similar feel.

DesertRivian17

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Our 2023 R1S has had steering wheel vibration from day one, all four tires were balanced by the Mobile service, but that didn’t fix it. When they had our vehicle for two weeks at the shop, they rode forced balanced all four tires again and replaced both front tires claiming they were defective at 3200 miles. We got the vehicle back and above 70 there is still vibration. At this point I doubt it’s a tire or wheel issue. It must be something in the suspension or electric drive train like the CV joint

Sponsored

Shawnybs

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T CY/OC and Tesla M3P
Clubs

Suspension for sure - I had my own saga with this, replacing tires, new wheel set, road forced multiple times. Vibration is still there. My bet would be CV's not quite balanced or badly designed components.

UMKEMP

First Name
U
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Agree...seems like a bandaid for something else
its a typical issue with the R1S with 22” tires replaced steering wheel replaced,
Tires replaced 2 several times,
Rebalanced however it reduced the vibration more each time but never went away completely 4,700 miles currently on my R1S.
If you drive at speeds of 70 on the highway just get use to the vibrations the faster you drive the more intense it becomes.
Sponsored