First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
So my GMC Sierra, full size crewcab pickup is 78 in wide and 1 foot longer than than the Rivian. That length difference is in the bed. So the cab is equivalent to a full size pickup.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The mirrors are generally not counted in width. Same with the height and curb height.
I'm just stating how the measurements were qualified by Rivian.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T size comparisons rivian-r1t-r1s-specs

OP
OP
Jehorton

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
So my GMC Sierra, full size crewcab pickup is 78 in wide and 1 foot longer than than the Rivian. That length difference is in the bed. So the cab is equivalent to a full size pickup.
Have you seen the video of the chief engineer sitting in the back seat? that’s nowhere near the room in the back of my f150. So I’m trying to see if all rows are spacious

OP
OP
Jehorton

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I remember seeing a video of the chief engineer sitting and he looked comfortable albeit not much leg room. Any time I drive around with people in the back on my truck the first thing they say is the amount of leg room is huge.
I talked to Brian Gase (the engineer you mentioned in the video) and asked him about the F-150 in particular. He said they were shooting for something in-between the SuperCab and SuperCrew. I think this is a sweet spot (the SuperCrew is MASSIVE rear legroom, wasted space IMHO) with regard to efficiency and comfort.

OP
OP
Jehorton

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I talked to Brian Gase (the engineer you mentioned in the video) and asked him about the F-150 in particular. He said they were shooting for something in-between the SuperCab and SuperCrew. I think this is a sweet spot (the SuperCrew is MASSIVE rear legroom, wasted space IMHO) with regard to efficiency and comfort.
I have the super crew and absolutely love the space. So do all my passengers. But that’s just a preference.

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
I own an older Toyota Tundra (2003). I wanted an older one because I liked the midsize dimensions for getting around in traffic, parking ect. I think they changed out to the full size in about 2006 or so and most of the full size pickups now look like monsters to me. My dimensions are 217.5 l x 75.2 w x 70.5h. WB 128.3. Overall pretty close to the Rivian except it will be 4" wider. What's interesting is to see almost the same exact length with a nearly 7.5" WB increase. Might be easier to maneuver with less truck hanging past the wheels and off roaders should like that too though is anyone really going to go rock crawling with their brand new shiny electric toy ?

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
I'm just stating how the measurements were qualified by Rivian.

rivian-r1t-r1s-specs.jpg
Just a note of caution. This spec sheet has been floating around the internet at least as far back when Rivian did their reveal in Nov 2018. As you can see the overall lengths are the old lengths. E.g. R1T overall length = 5475 mm = 215.55 in.

If you can't find the spec on Rivian's website (or website for other EVs), try checking out evspecifications.com as they seem to keep their data fairly current. It's also handy to use for comparing an EV to other EVs.

R1T - https://www.evspecifications.com/en/model/8b4391
R1S - https://www.evspecifications.com/en/model/fb6792

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Just a note of caution. This spec sheet has been floating around the internet at least as far back when Rivian did their reveal in Nov 2018. As you can see the overall lengths are the old lengths. E.g. R1T overall length = 5475 mm = 215.55 in.

If you can't find the spec on Rivian's website (or website for other EVs), try checking out evspecifications.com as they seem to keep their data fairly current. It's also handy to use for comparing an EV to other EVs.

R1T - https://www.evspecifications.com/en/model/8b4391
R1S - https://www.evspecifications.com/en/model/fb6792
Yes, I should have stated that, I forget that not everyone is familiar with all the history.

My point in resurfacing that was the qualification of the measurements more than the values themselves.

Sponsored

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self
If you're interested, here's a visual comparison. R1T at 100% opacity with a F150 Supercrew 6.5' Bed on top at 50% opacity.

Car LEngth CompareF150.jpg
Nice comparison. I think the Rivian looks most like a Honda Ridgeline. Can you do that overlay ?

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self
I do have to say that bed length is a new short "beating" everything else I have seen. Looks like 55" or 4'-7". I always thought the Honda Ridgeline's bed looked short and it used to be 5' and is now 5'-4". I know Rivian is going for the "bring your friends along on the adventure" track instead of marketing as any kind of work truck, but that bed is so short it reminds me of the old Subaru Brat LOL. It should just balance a piece of plywood with the tailgate up though. Maybe there will be a long bed or access cab version in the future but personally i wish they made that bed a few inches longer without adding to the overall length of the truck. Good thing I am mostly retired.
Sponsored

Reactions: Pcr