First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Interesting video. He was very thorough.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
You can skip through the first 5 minutes, nothing interesting in that part of the video.

Reactions: Jay

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
He is thorough though slow in getting his points delivered. Someone like RJ would deliver 2-3 times the information in the same amount of time. However, my gripe is yet another video that's almost entirely about the R1T. Why not more R1S?

The R1T is undoubtedly further along in design and engineering and we know it will go into production first, but almost everything announced, filmed and described is about the pickup and very little is released about the SUV. More SUV, please.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
He is thorough though slow in getting his points delivered. Someone like RJ would deliver 2-3 times the information in the same amount of time. However, my gripe is yet another video that's almost entirely about the R1T. Why not more R1S?

The R1T is undoubtedly further along in design and engineering and we know it will go into production first, but almost everything announced, filmed and described is about the pickup and very little is released about the SUV. More SUV, please.
While I agree with you 100%... We know that everything forward of the B pillar is identical to the R1T.... What we really want to know is... how exactly is the R1S configured behind the B Pillar... Right? Quite frankly I think they are still working out those details or they would be showing it off already..... Every picture I've seen of the R1S has the 3rd row either up in the sitting position or partially down with an awkward slant to the floor... SUVs are all about configuration and capacity and we know next to nothing about the R1S from the B pillars back....

Sponsored

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
almost everything announced, filmed and described is about the pickup and very little is released about the SUV.
I have wondered this as well and I have a guess. I'm thinking that the two vehicles are so similar that they can do most of the testing and data gathering by just using one vehicle. Rivian is still a small company, so rather than split and spread themselves too thin to test each independently they are likely focussing one one and only going to redo the few tests that might change from the R1T to the R1S. If I remember correctly the vehicles share 90%-95% of the same parts which from what I understand about the auto industry is almost unheard of. With that in mind it makes sense (to me at least) for them to just test one vehicle to the point where it is ready for production. Once it is ready to go they can take what they learned from the R1T and apply it to the R1S.
As far as testing the truck over the SUV... think they chose the truck for testig because it is what they figure the majority of customers (even if only by a small margin) will be purchasing. Again though... This is just my guess.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
This is a well done video by a designer talking about (mostly) the R1T from a design perspective with occasional comparisons to the Cybertruck, and some mention of the R1S.

I just finished watching it. Nice to see someone that does a video after some research and not just opinions from th
I have wondered this as well and I have a guess. I'm thinking that the two vehicles are so similar that they can do most of the testing and data gathering by just using one vehicle. Rivian is still a small company, so rather than split and spread themselves too thin to test each independently they are likely focussing one one and only going to redo the few tests that might change from the R1T to the R1S. If I remember correctly the vehicles share 90%-95% of the same parts which from what I understand about the auto industry is almost unheard of. With that in mind it makes sense (to me at least) for them to just test one vehicle to the point where it is ready for production. Once it is ready to go they can take what they learned from the R1T and apply it to the R1S.
As far as testing the truck over the SUV... think they chose the truck for testig because it is what they figure the majority of customers (even if only by a small margin) will be purchasing. Again though... This is just my guess.
The also showcase the truck over the SUV since it will be the first to market, not just the first vehicle for Rivian, but also the first EV truck out there.
Sponsored