Rivian iOS App - Battery Usage

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I did speak with service on this topic in more detail about 2 weeks ago. They asked if I am within 300ft of the truck throughout the day.
I wonder why they think that makes a difference. My phone literally sits in my truck 8-14 hours a day and I have no issues with battery drain on my phone. I know you have an iPhone, but seems like proximity shouldn't matter.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CarMAN3

CarMAN3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model 3
I'm assuming your phone isn't sitting in the truck on the charging pad? I'm also specifically referring to having phone as a key, so it's not sitting in my car when I'm not there.

The truck sits in the garage chirping as it locks and unlocks. It's like it cannot really tell how far away the bluetooth signal is or has an incompatibility with the bluetooth signal when the phone goes in and out of power save.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I'm assuming your phone isn't sitting in the truck on the charging pad? I'm also specifically referring to having phone as a key, so it's not sitting in my car when I'm not there.

The truck sits in the garage chirping as it locks and unlocks. It's like it cannot really tell how far away the bluetooth signal is or has an incompatibility with the bluetooth signal when the phone goes in and out of power save.
On the pad, but propped up so it doesn't charge. I use PaaK as well.

OP
OP
CarMAN3

CarMAN3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model 3
I would suspect the phone key isn't active while someone is in the truck but that's just a guess. I don't recall losing much battery when the phone is in the truck (I put it in the little pocket in front of the pad as the pad isn't as reliable for me).

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
Wondering if this ever got better? Just got my rivian and my phone battery is lasting about 12hours. Normally I have 60% left after a full day.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CarMAN3

CarMAN3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model 3
Wondering if this ever got better? Just got my rivian and my phone battery is lasting about 12hours. Normally I have 60% left after a full day.
I was hopeful on 2022.15.0 it would be better but it doesn't seem to be as of yet. I've been about 40ft from the truck most of today and it's locking and unlocking with PAAK. Maybe the next release..

cnr1089

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Software Engineer
I am hitting this too with an iPhone 13 Pro. I even disabled unlocking/locking when my phone comes near, but still using too much power, killing my battery.

jpm0nki

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Subaru WRX STI
Occupation
engineer
I was seeing the same issue with my android phone. Normally I get a few days per charge, with the app running I am down to ~20% by 10pm. I finally killed the app to stop it and haven't started it again for a week. My battery use went right back up to 3 days per charge.

I didn't see any issues with locking/unlocking of the vehicle for my phone (pixel 5a), but did see it for another owner who had a samsung while we were talking next to his truck and it kept locking and then unlocking without us moving. I suspect it may be due to allowing the app to fully run in the background or limited to save battery.

OP
OP
CarMAN3

CarMAN3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model 3
I suspect it may be due to allowing the app to fully run in the background or limited to save battery.
They released an update (2022.19.03) that now allows you to 'disable' the proximity locking while at home, which in my opinion is not the answer. There are many times I'm within 50ft of the truck not in my house where I want my truck locked. I also want my truck locked when it's in my driveway when I may not mind it being unlocked in the garage.

The other day, I came outside from a restaurant and my truck was unlocked.... :mad:. They really need to fix this sensitivity issue.

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

I e taken to force quitting the app when. It actively in use - has helped battery life on phone and the Auto Unlock - it does add a few extra steps and so I’m only partially using PaaK - but it has become habit now

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
So, is the app sometimes torching batteries on both iOS and Android?

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
So, is the app sometimes torching batteries on both iOS and Android?
And apparently the truck’s 12v as well! 😂

You’d think with as many battery/power engineers the company likely has that they’d put at least minimal effort towards optimizing consumption and maintenance of all impacted batteries and not just the main pack! 🤦‍♂️

IRun

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Model 3
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

My phone battery is usually around 60% by the end of the day and since taking delivery i've been down to 10% every day with the same usage.
I have been within 25' of the vehicle at nearly all times however so I would assume that is the issue.
I did notice less drain once I changed the location to when using.

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
Nobody has commented here in months but whoa boy, the current versions of apps and firmware as of September 18, 2022 is awful. The app is absolutely crushing my iphone battery right now.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Battery usage is negligible for me.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian iOS App - Battery Usage 12D623A6-90ED-4F3D-9CEE-625CAAE3AAF2
Sponsored