Rivian Drops Tank Turn Feature

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
I always thought it to be a great way of unloading the pickup bed, lumber, gravel, shrubs and plants that my wife buys at the garden centre. Just park and spin.
I mean it might not be altogether organized once unloaded, but hell it would be fast...
Sponsored

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
Tank turn are excellent way to get in and out of tite parking spots. Most of us are using the vehicles for urban use.
I think Rivian filed for a patent to do just that. Only spin 2 or 3 wheels to pivot into a spot.

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I was watching a couple of those repo shorts on YouTube, of people driving their repoed cars/trucks off the tow trucks. Wonder what that would look like if they used tank turn..

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Tank turn are excellent way to get in and out of tite parking spots. Most of us are using the vehicles for urban use. Mine is a working truck that.
To all of you who are concerned about the trails and the environment, ask yourself what 7500Lb vehicle do to the soil and the road.
That's not what Tank Turn was.

You're thinking more of the Hyundai prototype crab walk - tank turn spins the vehicle, it doesn't drive it sideways. If you were parallel parked and you tried it, you'd end up spinning so half your vehicle went up the curb, and the other half out into traffic.

Watch Rivian's tank turn video and tell me how that would be of *ANY* use in a city. Plus, it's not precise - it works by *LOSING* traction, and is why even when Rivian said it was coming, they said it was only for use on soft surfaces (loose dirt, mud, sand, etc.) Because it would wreck the tires if done on pavement. And piss off everyone around you, as it would be "peeling out" in the process. It's a fancy way of doing donuts/cookies.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
I think Rivian filed for a patent to do just that. Only spin 2 or 3 wheels to pivot into a spot.
I think this was called ā€œK turnā€. Iā€™d prefer this real work feature over tank turn.

Sponsored

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
To all of you who are concerned about the trails and the environment, ask yourself what 7500Lb vehicle do to the soil and the road.
Yes ... and Rivian is all about being green.

Which is why they chose to paint the top of the R1S black ... saving the environment.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I wonder why they couldnā€™t just take tank turn from a parlor trick to something useful and have the turning go at a crawl. If spinning the wheels in opposite directions can make the truck turn they should be able to do it at a crawl speed.

If that works it could actually be useful to make tight trail turns or get out of parking spots. Iā€™m not thinking total turn around more like being able to shift a few degrees and the big difference that can make in close proximity to hazards.
Sponsored