First Name
Rajiv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Sales
Thanks for the info. Can you please provide the link where to purchase the connector? I did find the horns on Amazon, but for the life of me, no results on the connectors!
So, you need a Deutsch splitter like this:

https://a.co/d/eUS71E2

If you’re adding 1 extra horn then cut off 1 of the green connectors and replace with female spade connectors to plug into the new horn. The other green connector will plug into the stock horn.

If you’re removing the stock horn and adding 2 new horns (as I did), then cut off both green connectors and replace with female spade connectors for the new horns. Female spade connectors can be found here:

https://a.co/d/187G1Ne
Sponsored

5280mcs

First Name
MC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Polestar 2, '20 M Y P, '89 E30 M3, 15 Tundra,
Occupation
Working from home
got it... thanks for the quick reply. I thought they were pre-configured like what you posted. Now I know what to do. Yes, I am planning to replace the stock horn with both new ones, just like what you did.
Once again, thanks for the info.

If you’re adding 1 extra horn then cut off 1 of the green connectors and replace with female spade connectors to plug into the new horn. The other green connector will plug into the stock horn.

If you’re removing the stock horn and adding 2 new horns (as I did), then cut off both green connectors and replace with female spade connectors for the new horns. Female spade connectors can be found here:

mackgriggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, r1t preorder, r1s preorder
Thanks to OP and others for the instructions! Got my r1t and r1s second horns added....much improved from the travesty of the factory setup.

1st one took a bit over an hour, but second one was 30 minutes flat.

A few notes:
1. For the light plugs on both sides...take your small screwdriver and really press down into the connector to release the clip. The plug actually slides out fairly easy with just the screwdriver pressure. If its not coming out you probably are not pushing deep enough.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian 500hz Horn Upgrade -- Installed Pics & Video Sound Clip 20240308_175925

2. Sometimes the plastic screw/clips came out of the holders on the trim pieces, so if that happens, get the screw out and put it back into the holder. I also broke 1-2 of these on each car...probably impossible to break some if you are not a service center tech doing multiple of these a week.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian 500hz Horn Upgrade -- Installed Pics & Video Sound Clip 20240308_184156

3. I did put the horn in the same place as the OPs video. I did remove the black metal bracket though to get it in easier. Its not going anywhere but can still move a little bit so I did ziptie it up a bit.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian 500hz Horn Upgrade -- Installed Pics & Video Sound Clip 20240308_175944

4. Dont take out these clips for the side pieces. Just unclip the rest and put a towel under the side pieces to prop them up a bit. No need to fully remove the side trim pieces.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian 500hz Horn Upgrade -- Installed Pics & Video Sound Clip 20240308_183927

The big thing I noticed though with the hella horn, and let me know if yours is the same, but I'm getting a rattling/vibration sound when honking now. I know its not from the horn vibrating against metal since I took it out and put it on a blanket. Maybe its just the way the horn is, or maybe I got 2 defective ones? But doubtful since rare to get 2 bad ones.

Last edited:

Partagas

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Alright, the much awaited summary is here @kong

Step 1: Turn steering wheel to full-right lock to provide clearance between tire and wheel liner. Remove seven TP20 screws that secure the passenger side wheel liner. You don't have to remove all of these, but I found that removing all of them now makes it much easier to align the wheel well liner before reinstalling.

Important notes:
  • These screws are TP20 (Torx PLUS) and not normal Torx screws. Make sure you have a TP20 tool and not a regular T20 tool. Even while using the correct TP20 socket, they're incredibly easy to slip/round if you're not careful.
  • Make a note of the wheel well liner position before you begin. The wheel well liner tucks up underneath the fender trim all the way around the wheel. When you start manipulating it out of your way in the next few steps, it may pop out from behind the fender trim in other places.
IMG_0616.jpeg

Step 2: Observe stock horn location, and unplug stock horn. The stock plug is in fact a Deutsch connector, and the Y-splitter linked previously in this thread works perfectly. In my install, I found it best to relocate the stock horn, and install the aftermarket HELLA 500hz in its place. Fun fact: the stock horn is a HELLA 400hz horn.

IMG_0597_low.jpg

IMG_0598.jpeg

IMG_0607.jpeg

Step 3: Plan out your installation. If you have a horn with a Deutsch connector preinstalled, you may be able to mount it using the provided bracket to one of the many mounting points available in this area. Originally, I tried to attach the aftermarket HELLA bracket to the end of the stock horn bracket, but this did not provide enough clearance between the two horns, and also fouled on the wheel well liner itself when reinstalling. I decided to move the stock horn up and to the right from the stock bracket, mounting to a small hole already drilled in the metal subframe/bracket holding everything here together. I then soldered and shrink wrapped my Y-splitter to the new horn, leaving the other end as a Deutsch connector to plug into the stock horn.

IMG_0611.jpeg

IMG_0618.jpeg

IMG_0620_low.jpg

Step 4: Securely fasten your aftermarket horn in place. I used blue Loctite to make sure it wouldn't unscrew itself due to NVH, and I recommend doing the same for these metal-on-metal fasteners.

Important notes:
  • Make sure you position both horns such that they won't collect water. The bell of these horns is a perfectly shaped funnel. Avoid potential issues by positioning the bell level or below so that water doesn't collect inside. When I first opened up the wheel well liner last night, there was a considerable amount of water inside from recent rains and wet weather driving.
  • Securely fasten down your cable lengths with zipties or similar fasteners, and trim them appropriately. There seems to be an exposed gear in the area that I didn't investigate too much, but definitely want to make sure your cables and zipties avoid. Consider how the cables may move while you drive the vehicle, and be sure to fasten them down appropriately to avoid issues.

IMG_0627.jpeg

Step 5: Ensure all plugs and fasteners are snug, then reinstall the wheel well liner. Make sure to position the wheel well liner underneath the fender trim all the way around the side. Do not overtighten the TP20 screws. Some of them appear to screw into plastic, and will easily strip the threads.

Important notes:

• Adjust the position of the wheel well liner before tightening the TP20 screws. It may take a little work to get it just right.
  • Use the lower trim piece to align up to the wheel well liner while tightening the 4 lower screws that secure it. I've highlighted the lower trim piece in blue below.
IMG_0616_blue.jpg

Thanks guys for making the installation of an additional passenger-side horn so easy. This literally took me 30m and required no frunk removal. A local mechanic did a friend's R1S for $50. This is by far the simplest way to make your horn louder.

350Industrial

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Just completed the install through the passenger side wheel well- no sweat. Sounds much better. Thanks for the great write up here! :rock:
Sponsored