ChiefBushWookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Military
Clubs

For the 3d print nerds, I'm confident someone else has done this, but this was an epiphany moment for me. When I received my R1T I purchased a center console storage basket from a popular seller but was very disappointed in the quality. It was obviously 3d printed, with exposed layer lines, a very prominent seam and kind of flimsy, though it did fit really well. Recently I took it upon myself to design it to better fit my needs. So, I fired up Fusion and the printer. While piecing the basket together in CAD over the next 90 minutes or so, my eye drifted to the Gridfinity plugin icon for Fusion... The next question was (Those who know, know... You know?) "could I?"
Low-and-behold! I was able to join a modified Gridfinity base to the bottom of the basket.
Rivian R1T R1S Riv-finity Storage 3D Print console CAD design

I needed to modify the base pattern to 15.29mm to maximize the space, but this opened up the door to truly customize the storage. I opted for the skeletonized base just to help keep items in place over rougher road, but realize now that it probably wasn't necessary. The rest came together quite well and was easily able to customize the storage bins for the few items I keep in it all the time. It's probably a bit more snug than the purchased one, but I can fix that later.

Rivian R1T R1S Riv-finity Storage 3D Print IMG_0096

Rivian R1T R1S Riv-finity Storage 3D Print IMG_0095

Rivian R1T R1S Riv-finity Storage 3D Print IMG_0099
Sponsored

Whhrheb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

You were so preoccupied with whether or not you could, you didn’t stop to think if you should!

j/k - I love it! Please let us know if you end up sharing the files.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

I have been doing CADD for 40 years (I started with a now defunct CADD software), I used AutoCad 2.5 all the way up to what I use now....SolidWorks 2021 (we haven't updated yet).

My question is.....why the checkboard pattern ribs?. Is it for support, or stiffener?.....not complaining or criticizing, just learning.

Mr. Ham

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 CY R1S
Clubs

That’s the gridfinity base that’s holds your dividers in place and stop them from sliding. You can create bins as small as one square and increase from there. See OP’s picture with the white dividers? Those can be any sizes you want if you scale them right.

I have been doing CADD for 40 years (I started with a now defunct CADD software), I used AutoCad 2.5 all the way up to what I use now....SolidWorks 2021 (we haven't updated yet).

My question is.....why the checkboard pattern ribs?. Is it for support, or stiffener?.....not complaining or criticizing, just learning.

Mr. Ham

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 CY R1S
Clubs

ha!
I've gridfinitied many things in my house. But I’ll pass on the center console. Cool design though.

You were so preoccupied with whether or not you could, you didn’t stop to think if you should!

j/k - I love it! Please let us know if you end up sharing the files.
Sponsored