Sponsored

Resuming charging on ChargePoint

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I'm going to be parking my truck at an airport ChargePoint station. When I get back I'm going to need 100% battery, however I don't want to set it to charge to 100% and sit there fully charged for a week. Ideally I'd be able to keep it at 70% then a few hours before I land set it to 100% from the app.

Does ChargePoint support this without needing to physically unplug/replug the connector to resume or start a new session? I would test prior, but I don't have a ChargePoint nearby.
Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

The Rivian app allows you to change the charge percentage (70/85/100) while it's plugged in. Just tap on "View charge session" from the home screen and then the pencil icon under the charge percentage bar.
Rivian R1T R1S Resuming charging on ChargePoint 1000001275
Rivian R1T R1S Resuming charging on ChargePoint 1000001276

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
The Rivian app allows you to change the charge percentage (70/85/100) while it's plugged in. Just tap on "View charge session" from the home screen and then the pencil icon under the charge percentage bar.
1000001275.png
1000001276.png
I’m aware of this. The question isn’t about changing the charge limit of the truck remotely. It’s about whether ChargePoint will resume charging if it previously was stopped without having to physically disconnect and reconnect.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I’m aware of this. The question isn’t about changing the charge limit of the truck remotely. It’s about whether ChargePoint will resume charging if it previously was stopped without having to physically disconnect and reconnect.
After you bump up the percentage in the Rivian app, wouldn't you then just go into the Charge point app and tap "Start Charge"?

There's a Charge point nearby I could test this but my vehicle is in service right now.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
After you bump up the percentage in the Rivian app, wouldn't you then just go into the Charge point app and tap "Start Charge"?

There's a Charge point nearby I could test this but my vehicle is in service right now.
I would hope so, but I’ve never actually tried this specific scenario and wanted to get clarity before I fly.

Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Why not just leave it set to 100%? It won’t hurt anything and takes the uncertainty out of the situation if you truly need the full charge when you get back.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I never tried this but my impression is no. But maybe a quick support question to chargepoint might be in order.

The reason I don't think this would work is that I once had an error starting a charge in one of my cars. I couldn't get it to try again without unpluging it, placing it back in the holder and starting over. That said I was using the little card and not the app, but holding the card up to the reader didn't work.

Now if there is a volta or one of those cliper creek's that would probably just wait until the truck wants to charge again.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Why not just leave it set to 100%? It won’t hurt anything and takes the uncertainty out of the situation if you truly need the full charge when you get back.
Worst case I may do this, but if I can prevent leaving the battery fully charged for several days I figure it could help with longevity.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I never tried this but my impression is no. But maybe a quick support question to chargepoint might be in order.
Good call. I sent them an email and will post their reply.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I think you could also use the amperage limit in the truck to dial it down to meet a 100% charge close to arrival. Rather than allow it to take a full 48amps drop it down to 12 or whatever the math comes out to require.

Sponsored

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I never heard back from ChargePoint support, and their phone lines have been down for days. Decided to experiment a little when I arrived at the airport this morning. Good news, charging does resume without issues. I set the limit to 70% for the week and will bump it to 100% the night before I get back.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Sounds rather anti-social to stay plugged in for a week at a public charging station, or is this an airport parking option of which I am not aware?

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Sounds rather anti-social to stay plugged in for a week at a public charging station, or is this an airport parking option of which I am not aware?
Why else would they put them in a long-term parking garage? They are also “complementary” (after you pay $26 a day for your spot, of course)

Even worse, when I got there several Teslas were parked in the spaces completely unplugged. That is dumb.
Sponsored